How bad were you...

...1 year before your first IM?

81 to 100 of 262 messages
debbo    pirate
07/01/2008 at 14:31

how did you end up being a fat git then Candy?

07/01/2008 at 14:37
tssk, i've been training, i'm a thin git, so there.
debbo    pirate
07/01/2008 at 14:38

at least you're consistent in always being a git though.

I haven't seen you since you were a fat git, so my humble apologies

07/01/2008 at 14:39
have you grown yet?
debbo    pirate
07/01/2008 at 14:42

lol! of course not, I'm past the critical age and sadly I seem to have started shrinking

I could have sworn I was 5'3" but now I'm only 5'2"

I'm still hoping to become a lean mean racing machine though

07/01/2008 at 14:44
cool. apparently they are planning a live-action remake of Snow White next year. if you stop shaving now you should be a shoe-in as Grumpy
Stump    pirate
07/01/2008 at 14:44
I love tall chicks
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
08/01/2008 at 11:57
a year before my first IM I hadn't even decided to do one.
Dark Vader    pirate
08/01/2008 at 16:18

Like a few people here, I'm going to have a go at Iron Man France.  It will be first ever tri event.  Until a few months ago I didn't even know what a tri was, who the pirates were, I didn't own a bike, had never in my life even swam a 25m length of a pool.  The decision to do IMF was a spur of the moment thing.  It all happened in one day.  I can run though. 

So.. a few months of research and talking to people and I've now got a six month training plan ahead of me. 

Therefore, to answer the initial question, for me it will be zero to IM in six months, working from a running background and a decent basic level of fitness.

10/06/2008 at 10:30
Boing. Makes for encouraging reading
Nam
18/06/2008 at 11:53

BOING!

Swim:  only just very recently progressed past 4 lengths of FC in 25m pool, "huge panic issues"... but getting better

Bike:  used to do a bit of 'spin', now got cheap as chips double

Run:  mechanical nightmare... did a Half once last year but essentially starting from scratch after various injuries, now learning not to heel strike

Race experience:  sod all.... done one novice tri

PloddingOn    pirate
18/06/2008 at 12:08

swim:  debatable

bike:  I have one - baby steps

run:  do I need shoes for that?

race experience:   lots of random race experiences - but a couple sprints and 2 swims and a few miles on the bike

Richard 123    pirate
18/06/2008 at 12:58

I'm with Dark Vader - zero to IMF in six months, working from a running background and a decent basic level of fitness. I couldn't front crawl until early May, had a 'Halfords specail' mountain bike in the shed that had just about rusted to the spot but no road bike.

Now aiming to get around Nice in under 10 hours 

19/06/2008 at 19:05

This is great!! I don't know why on earth I'm even considering an IM but good to know it's not just me - I don't own a bike and can only swim breast stroke (and not that well!) at the moment... but if you want to do something enough you can, right?! Plan for this summer is to buy a bike and learn to crawl, then I'm laughing, right?!

Nobody tell my boyfriend, family or anyone else who knows me about this post please! You did not see me, I was not here!!

20/06/2008 at 12:46

Biddy hell - its good reading! .. I was thinking of half IM by next year.. Tutu much - I've half mentioned it to my lot.. with some looks of WTF!! But maybe its more doable than I thought.. (recovering fitness from surgery, but up to mile continuous swim front crawl and back up to half-marathon run distance).  Just need a bike...  and found some OW swimming close by..  

Oooh, I feel a plan coming on.

23/06/2008 at 22:24

I'm not sure I believe all these stories. Just how many hours of training went into those 12 months? Don't you people have jobs or a house to clean?

Here's where I am now:

Swim - haven't been for a few months but I'm fairly confident I could slap out 20 lengths of 'crawl' in 20 minutes. Panicky in open water unless I have a snorkel. Did 40 lengths without stopping once, 7 years ago.

Bike - have a cr*p mountain bike. Takes me about an hour to do 10km with 550m vertical climb (in the last 6k). Haven't done any flat stuff. Did a few 100k+ road rides (on the mountain bike) 7 years ago.

Run - Mainly run about on hills - no official times to post and unsure of the distances. Pretty sure I could slap out a 1:55 half marathon by September. Did a half pb of 1:40 er... 7 years ago.

(I guess I should have gone for an IM 7 years ago! )

Good points: I'm not fat

Bad points: I'm under 5ft.

Reading all the above stuff I actually look like Pirate material (i.e. cr*p) so why don't I feel at all convinced?
BTW have decided to bring my first marathon attempt forward from spring 2009 to November 2008 (after spending all Sunday watching the updates) going for the 3 runs a week First thingy I found in the training thing. Any thoughts?

JD.    pirate
23/06/2008 at 22:31
that's what all those hours of training give you  -  a quiet confidence ... and saddle sores.
JD.
24/06/2008 at 21:39

So glad it's not just me!

But, can't stop thinking about it......

Even mentioned it to the boyfriend tonight (parents will have to wait - in fact seriously might not tell them until afterwards!!) and he took it quite well... said things along the lines of "well I guess it just means I won't get to see you Saturdays as well as Sundays" (he's managed to convince himself I do a race EVERY sunday, which is so far from true.....tsk!) and also "you gotta do what you want to do..."

Which I think means I semi- have his support - ?!

Toomuchtoodo - (I like that our names are similar!) hadn't even thought about the importance of OW swimming but that's great you have some near you - can't think where I would go! Buying a bike seems such a big hurdle.. well, probably because it is.

Oh geez listen to me, I need to stop babbling! Sorry......

24/06/2008 at 21:43

I am starting to seriously consider when I'm going to do one.

So, it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when'

24/06/2008 at 21:44
I'm going for 2010 at this stage Mitts
81 to 100 of 262 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.