How do you manage to fit it all in?

Is training for an Oly tri and having a life possible?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
19/04/2012 at 14:01
I trust it was dead before you did that Cat5.....

strangely, once you get into the swing of mixing training with work and life, you'll wonder what the hell you did before - it becomes normal to get meals prepped when you're all sweaty, shower while it's cooking, and then eat after. breakfast is after training or at your desk

getting up for an early morning swim/bike/turbo/run becomes the norm - a lie in is a luxury.

weekends are planned around training or events, holidays no longer become sunbathing ones, but activity ones.

rest days of doing nowt are treasured but send you barmy as you feel you'll lose all that fitness you've gained in 24hrs

people will wonder what happened to the old you, and they'll ask "and how far have you run/biked/swum today??" - usually with a look of bewilderment as to why you're doing it.

you'll adapt!!
19/04/2012 at 15:01

Yes, what an excellent post FB. I completely agree.

OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
20/04/2012 at 22:55
Get a basic week tha t you can repeat 40 weeks out of 50. Ie itsachievable and repeatable

Make use of your commute time
Evening swimming is a pain - i miss it all the time

My basic week looks as follows

Monday - bike to work, bike home, optional swim in the evening
Tuesday - run part way to work, run part way home
Wednesday - extended bike commute, includes bike intervals... sigh, easy run part way home, swim in the evening
Thurs long run into work, easy bike home
Friday rest
Saturday - run to pool, long swim, optional run home
Sunday - long ride

have no kids, but the cats are getting pissed off
Edited: 20/04/2012 at 22:56
21/04/2012 at 07:38
Lots of good advice here. I guess it is a case of working out what's best for you and realising that for most working people, there are maybe 3 chances to train in a day, early morning, lunch and evening. Plan ahead and there is no reason you can't have your cake and eat it. Hmmmm, cake!

Best of luck
21/04/2012 at 09:50

No two weeks the same due to shifts but it's a case of making the shoe fit.

Some weeks i have to accept after a 14+ hour shift what i need is sleep and the training get binned, but then i have ditched things like going to the pub so when my mates go drinking i go training.

I don't get a "lunch hour" as such so that option is out, as OC i think said use your commute as training ride run...i use the lamp posts for intervals ie. sprint for two, rest for two.

And quality beats quantity everytime IMO, When you train, train hard no cruising.

MovingAlong    pirate
22/04/2012 at 17:31
Another thing about the weekly planning I do is I also view it as a chance to see what worked from the week before (and more importantly what didn't). As an example I used to schedule an early morning Monday swim - but would never make it. 2 choices - either change the laziness or the schedule - the schedule altered in my case

As per the point OC makes, I'm lucky enough that my weeks are fairly consistent work / family commitment wise then I've got something that works for me that requires next to no tweaking from one week to the next.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.