How do you prevent a massacre in your lady garden?

1 to 20 of 336 messages
Flipper    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:26

Just wondering how other ladies manage to prevent things getting sore when on the bike.

I've tried shorts with thin padding, shorts with alot of padding and a padded seat and nothing seems to be making much of a difference.

So..what do you do?

kittenkat    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:30
Work on your core strength?
13/10/2008 at 16:31
HTFU

goes for wimmin and men
cougie    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:33
Sorry - just had to look in 'massacre' indeed !

Are your bars low enough ? If they are too high - then all your weight is on your saddle - if the balance is right then only 2/3 of your weight is on it.

You can get chamois cream - Wiggle do something called Saddle Butter or something. Thats meant to be good.
Nam
13/10/2008 at 16:33
it gets better...  there comes a point after a few hours when the whole region goes numb...  LOL
Nam
13/10/2008 at 16:34

butter???

rancid lady garden on a hot day...

13/10/2008 at 16:34
My favourite thread title ever.

Flipper    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:36

Actually, I think my bars are a bit too far forward (or my seat too far back) and so alot of pressure is going through the front bits. Maybe that's what's doing it.

I like the idea of saddle butter though....
D74
13/10/2008 at 16:37

Change your saddle.  Definately avoid thickly padded shorts and padded seat covers, as they will tend to 'bunch'. 

Saddles are individual things, what works for one person may not 'fit' someone elses.  But it yours isn't working then try a new one, give is at least 5 rides of increasing duration to get used to it.

Regular cycling will help too, part of it just comes from time in the saddle.

13/10/2008 at 16:38
flips - have you ever had a proper bike fit done?? go talk to your LBS and see if they can do one for you - they might charge but it could pay dividends in the long run

and HTFU
Flipper    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:39

I'm not sure I want my bits toughening up - callouses and hard skin doesn't sound too appealing!

Do most bike shops allow you to buy a saddle and swap it after a few days if it's not right for you?

Flipper    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:39
Sounds like a good plan FB - both parts!!!!!!
Nam
13/10/2008 at 16:40

don't add any padding on the saddle like these Tesco spin gel saddle things... is carp!

the Specialized Body Geometry ones for girls seem to be received well.

Calf    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:44

botty butter in fact

also know as assos chamois cream, or the ozone one is very good.

Have a look at wiggle, usually about 10 quid a tub. Last you 3-4 months!

Well worth it

13/10/2008 at 16:44

I was expecting horror stories of waxing gone wrong

13/10/2008 at 16:51
flips - you won't develop callouses or anything like that by doing the HTFU method. you just endure miles of discomfort until you get used to it and the discomfort just goes into the background - never goes away but gets tolerable........

finding a saddle that's right for you may take a lifetime - if ever - as everyone has a different anatomy so what suits someone else may cause you agony. and many wimmin don't get on with wimmin specific saddles - my missus for one - she hates them.......

but get the bike fit done and see what happens. not all shops will lend saddles to try and frankly, unless you can try for a good length of time, you may learn nothing. if you buy and don't like it - there is always e-bay!
Edited: 13/10/2008 at 16:52
Holly_Golightly    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:53

Saddle - make sure you have one with cut outs if it's your bits that are suffering,  There are plenty to choose from.  You might need to try a few before you settle on the one that suits you.  (I'm up to 4 tried and tested and discarded so far)

Position is crucial.  Make sure that the height and reach is good so that you aren't shifting in your seat as you pedal.  And that the saddle is horizontal.  You need it to be as level as possible.

Vaseline / body butter up beforehand.  Prevent the chaffing before you start.

Good fitting shorts - I cycled yesterday with new tri shorts with no 'cushioning' and was fine in the chaffing department.  Compare that to last weekend wearing my winter bike tights which are well padded but are now too big for me - oooh raw and hurty just because they were shifting underneath me.  I was sudocreming big time afterwards. 

But as others have said HTFU.  That doesn't mean calluses.  It means getting your body used to being on the bike for longer periods which you can only do by going out for longer. 

Edited: 13/10/2008 at 16:54
Dustboy    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:54

www.crotchguard.co.uk

Brilliant stuff. Use liberally. Helps with HTFU.

kittenkat    pirate
13/10/2008 at 16:55

Anyway, don't think of it as a massacre, more as landscape gardening.

The glass is half full and all that..

D74
13/10/2008 at 17:00

The glass is half full and all that..

If you're sticking a glass in there that may be part of the problem.

1 to 20 of 336 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.