How to go about doing a Triathlon

21 to 27 of 27 messages
06/01/2004 at 21:18
Lulabelle-wear what you feel comfortable in. I wore a tri swimsuit for my first one and just added a t-shirt for the bike, taking it off again for the run. My number was attached to a belt so no worry about putting it on clothing.

Tri skinsuits are good, I've just bought an Ironman one for this season.

Another website for events you might be interested in is

www.conceptsport.co.uk
07/01/2004 at 22:36
Man you lot are really serious about it all!!! Lulabelle, If you're Stamford, which is Peterboro-ish if Nottingham isn't too far you could try the Mansfield Sprint. Of course it all depends on a) how serious YOU are about it, b)what sort of distances you feel comfortable at (I'd recommend a Sprint (400m pool based (no wet suit required) swim, 20k bike, 5k run, or there abouts)) and c) how much money you want to burn, ie wetsuits aren't cheap if you're only going to use it once.
It also depends on how competative you are. If you're really competative and a good swimmer, as your start time is solely based on your anticipated swim time, if you put a fast swim time on the application form (ie sub 7-8 mins for 400m) you'll be in with the SERIOUS racers, all lycra and aero-bars. If, on the other hand, you just want to have a good race for your first attempt, just put a slower swim time (over 10mins for 400m) and you'll be in with more novices and have a really fun event. Choice is yours.

Prozac
08/01/2004 at 08:15
I have the gear, but I'm not fast, just like to look the part and give the opposition something to think about! :o)
08/01/2004 at 08:43
I don't have the gear or look the part, I just like to give the competition something to laugh at! ;0)

Prozac
08/01/2004 at 14:08
Lulabelle
I did my first ever Tri at London last year (sprint) and loved every minute - apart from the "green tea" which is the dock water!

gear came in all sorts of shapes and sizes so don't worry about that - comfort is the key.

One tip - enter a single sex wave if at all possible - men can be such bullies!
08/01/2004 at 17:36
<lucy stops lurking>

I am currently forbidden (sensible, but strict physio) from running (next 6 months), so have started training on the bike and swimming more to keep my fitness up. I'd alway thought about getting into triathlon, and now it seems I will have done the training by the time my running legs are allowed out again.

My sought after silver lining has materialised. Cool.

:-)
15/01/2004 at 14:53
oh my god!

I had my frist swim in years this morning and boy how hard is it?

It took me 21.55 to cover 1km - i did it 25m crawl 25 breast stroke

Hopefully will get easier if i swim once a week so i can build up to the whole ting crawl

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.