Hydration on long rides

1 to 20 of 57 messages
16/05/2014 at 08:54

Sorry for a another newby question but with the length of my rides increaseing I was wondering how the more experience pirates deal with keeping hydrated on longer rides?

I normally drink about 700 ml an hour so If I ride for two hours then both my drinks bottles empty. Many of my rides are in areas that there are no shops plus I hate buying bottled water.

thanks

16/05/2014 at 08:56

Sadly not much for it but to buy water....

16/05/2014 at 08:59

I did have a feeling that the would be one of the most common answers.

16/05/2014 at 09:08

Sorry, Apart from ride in the rain with your mouth open, Couldn't think of anything else

16/05/2014 at 09:17
Wear a camelback type thingy?
cougie    pirate
16/05/2014 at 09:23
Blimey - that seems like a lot of fluid ? Obviously I drink more in the heat, but in winter I can easily go three hours without a mouthful.

You can get behind the seat bottle holders - but they have a habit of ejecting bottles on bumpy ground.
16/05/2014 at 09:28

I have a bottle belt that takes two 500-700ml bottles and they didn't tend to fall out. Alternatively of course you can do 2 or 3 shorter loops and pick up extra supplies from home as you go past.

cougie    pirate
16/05/2014 at 10:30
Or get a team car handing up cool bottles to you out of the chiller. And if you get tired - a "sticky bottle" should boost your speed a bit.
16/05/2014 at 10:44

When I was running I used to hide bottles of water behind places on my longer run routes in advance.  That way I was always sure I had a stash somewhere!  Doesn't help much if you're cycling somewhere new though, which is probably often the case!!  

16/05/2014 at 10:47

I think you have to be a bit less stubborn about buying drinks whilst you are out, plan routes which include shops/petrol stations, do loops, or think of ways to carry more yourself.  All of which have been covered above.  It's not rocket science, you just have to widen your perspective.

16/05/2014 at 11:46

Depends on what you want, but the standard Speedfil holds 1.2l

M...eldy    pirate
16/05/2014 at 20:26

Most petrol stations have outside taps, I fill up (pun intended) on my long runs

16/05/2014 at 20:59

M...eldy, that's a great idea.

16/05/2014 at 21:00

You probably don't need to drink that much - I'll be doing 70 miles tomorrow morning in a fast training group with one 500 and one 750ml bottle.   If I'm going further than that then with a group we'd normally have a cafe stop or if I'm on my own it's not a big deal to nip into a village shop and get a can of coke or whatever.    

M...eldy    pirate
16/05/2014 at 21:09

Surely it's not down to the miles but the time taken ?

70/80 will take me about 4 hours and I will get through 3 x 750 bottles but should have more in all honesty for that long as I work on the basis of 1 bottle per hour

16/05/2014 at 21:19

Agreed Meldy, a bottle an hour is about right I reckon, more if its hot, usually 1/2 bottle sports drink and 1/2 bottle of water. If I drink less I notice a decrease in my already meagre speed.

16/05/2014 at 21:38

I'm doing 85 miles tomorrow morning and am taking 2 x 800ml bottles, plus food and expect to not NEED any more than a 500ml bottle of water extra from a shop somewhere. Are you sure you NEED that much fluid. If you start fully hydrated, you shouldn't need anything for 60-75 mins. You could wear a hydration waist belt with 2 x 500ml bottles.

seren nos    pirate
16/05/2014 at 22:05

its a case of training for a race,,,its ok to finish a ride dehydrated.......if you are going to sit and recover at home.......if you want to maximise the training session and be in a fit state to go and run a marathon then you need to keep hydrated,..

I have a double profile bottle on my tri bars and it firs in way over a litre

16/05/2014 at 22:22

Do you have to do everything you do in a race on a training ride though ?   Would you take a gel for an hour bike ride just because you might take one if it was part of a longer triathlon ?  

I'm not saying you shouldn't but if you are just talking about a training ride on the bike the OP is drinking a lot more than anyone I know and some of them are pretty good amateurs so riding at a higher intensity than most of us could maintain.  

I agree though if I was going to run a marathon afterwards I'd drink more on the bike.

Edited: 16/05/2014 at 22:23
17/05/2014 at 05:54

Popsider, If I was out for just an hour then no I would not take any gels with me  although I do carry a water bottle. One of the reasons I drink a lot is that I have had kidney stones at several points in my life. OUCH!! and one way to avoid them, or at least slow them down is to remain hydrated.

My longest rides at the minute are 3 hours and I can manage with what I can carry but as the rides get longer I will need to find a strategy to keep enough fluid on-board especially when it comes to the long brick sessions that are planed towards then end of the build phase and into the peak phase of Fink.  I know I still have some time to go until  that point but I was trying to stimulate a discussion and see how other dealt with it.

Here is a good video on fuelling and hydration for athletes.

http://youtu.be/eeIA261_gSw

M..ouse, its not that I object to buying drinks its that I object to buying water. Its A) a massive rip-off and B) an ecological disaster but hundreds of tons of plastic in to the environment and it the bottled water industry has HUGE carbon foot print.

1 to 20 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.