Hydration on the bike

Does anyone have any experience of Speedfil systems?

21 to 40 of 43 messages
WildWill    pirate
28/08/2012 at 12:34

On my road bikes (and mtb) i go for 2 bottles on the frame

On my TT bike i have a double profile bottle in the bars and a bottle on the frame

On long training and off road I quite often go for a hydration pack 

not realy a consistant aproach ... i know 

JvR
01/09/2012 at 12:04

I have a problem with drinking on the bike. I'm not the most confident cyclist anyway and start to wobble when trying to taking a bottle out of and putting it back into a bottle cage.
I picked up a bottle cage from Halford and some cable ties this week and fastened it to the top of the handlebars last night, I hope that was what was meant by the earlier comment about fastening a bottle cage to the stem.
Went out this morning and it was easy to get the bottle in and out of the cage, for the first time I managed to drink almost the entire bottle without having to stop to do so. OK I was still wobbling a bit while drinking but I'm sure that I'll get over that with time and practice.

IronCat5    pirate
01/09/2012 at 15:19
Well done. That's exactly what I meant. Cheaper than the manufactured version too.
JvR
01/09/2012 at 20:56
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
Well done. That's exactly what I meant. Cheaper than the manufactured version too.

Pethead    pirate
01/09/2012 at 22:29

Just out of curiosity, doesn't almost a kilogram weight of cage, bottle and water mounted on top of the stem rather spoil the bike's handling?

JvR
04/09/2012 at 12:44
Pethead wrote (see)

Just out of curiosity, doesn't almost a kilogram weight of cage, bottle and water mounted on top of the stem rather spoil the bike's handling?

I didn't notice any difference to be honest but then I'm not a great cyclist and wasn't going that fast, averaged 14mph over the whole ride. 

TheEngineer    pirate
04/09/2012 at 13:07
Pethead wrote (see)

Yes and no. When you consider the change in overall CoG of the bike and hydration, it's a big relocation of weight. It's also locating the fluid (and its associated inertia) to a location with a greater degree of freedom. This is partly the reason why you don't see many handlebar mounted drink systems in the Pro Tour.

The question then becomes whether you'll notice it. I'd suggest that if you're weaving when using a regular bottle cage, then you may well not.

In an IM bike leg, however, there are a lot of differences we must consider - the goal is to time-trial as efficiently as possible, which means: 

• Aero is king
  • Wild movements and throwing the bike around aren't common 

Both points have double significance: Firstly, a between the arms (BTA) bottle has been shown to be more aerodynamic than no bottle at all. (http://cervelo.com/en_us/news-blog/article/ask-the-engineers-hydration-and-aerodynamics/2930/) In addition to this, the penalty for coming out of the aero position to drink is reduced as one can drink more quickly.

As the most efficient way to ride is to keep as still as possible, the penalty of raised weight is negligible. This is even more so when we consider that BECAUSE we won't be throwing the bike around, we can consider the body on top to be part of the overall static weight - meaning that as a percentage, the delta for CoG is small.

So I'd stick with a BTA bottle for IM, but wouldn't use one for training or for bicycle races. The caveat here is the reason it was brought up in the first place - some people just find it easier!

Edited: 04/09/2012 at 13:09
The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/01/2013 at 14:28

Just the thread I was looking for.

I have a tiny road bike in that I can only get 1 bottle on the frame (750ml) I can't actually have 2 on the frame as there is no room!

I'm doing outlaw so need to solve the hydration issue. I'm happy to use a camelbak as I've used them for many hours of run/walk and can cope with the hot back thing.

I'm still a novice as such in that I too wobble when using a bottle

I've just fitted tri bars (turbo use only so far) and don't have much cash to splash.

Any updates on what people use?

*wanders off to look at speedfill*

06/01/2013 at 15:29

EP, have a look on the bottle cage that attaches behind your seat, holds two bottles i think...pros's used to use on the TT bike till they got banned, but sure there still ok for us mere amateurs

cougie    pirate
06/01/2013 at 16:28
Lindi had a tiny frame and she got 2 bottles on. The one on the seat tube was a side entry one. Much cheaper and easier than messing with bottles behind your seat.

To overcome problems with bottles - practice is key.
Find a quiet road. Take bottle out. Put bottle back. Hands back on bars. Repeat.
And keep repeating until you can do it without looking down.
For drinking - keep looking at the road ahead and tilt the bottle slightly above horizontal and squirt into your mouth.
Only one gulp. Any more and you'll be compromise your breathing.
Britrisky    pirate
06/01/2013 at 17:15
I really wanted a Speedfil / aero mounted at one stage but now I don't -
1. Having a bottle to drink out of gives me a chance to come out of the aero position and give my back a break
2. I get to use my pirate bottles (in training anyway), which actually are great cos they're not too tight in the bottle cage so are really easy to get out and put back
3. I don't reckon I'm cool enough to be not feel just a little bit silly with all that bling when I'm pedalling so slow ...!

BTW - why were seat mounted cages banned? Seems like a great place for a bottle or two???
06/01/2013 at 18:44

Coug, my mate only has lugs for one bottle as her frame is tiny, is that side bottle still an option then?

06/01/2013 at 18:45

And Brit...i have no idea why.

seren nos    pirate
06/01/2013 at 19:18

I would like a look ata  picture of the side one............where can you  put it so that it doesn't get hit by the legs..........and how do you attach it without any lugs

M...eldy    pirate
06/01/2013 at 19:23

Seren, you legs dont hit ... its the opening that is to the side

You can attach without lugs with cabelties and a plastic lug type thingy  

Doner Kebab    pirate
06/01/2013 at 22:28

EP if you look on my gallery in my profile - then go to the album titled "q" you will see my home made speed fill type thingy works a treat

cougie    pirate
06/01/2013 at 23:03
http://m.evanscycles.com/products/zefal/wiiz-bottle-cage-ec038015

This is a side release cage. In the olden days we would attach bottle cages with metal bands. Worked well enough but we didn't have carbon frames !
06/01/2013 at 23:20
I've got the smallest frame size Orbea (48) make and it still takes two bottle cages. There just isn't much clearance and you just have to learn to get your bottles in and out. One of my bottle cages is a bit bent but I don't have any issues. It's just practice. I tried the side ways cages and found them to be a bigger pain in the arse because I couldn't get two mounted on the frame at the same time (you could mount the cages but there wasn't enough room to get two bottles in properly and one bounces out.)

EP - use the one mount you have and then get a Tri bars profile bottle thingy with the straw. There are sufficient feed stations for that to be enough, I would say. Then just tip it in as you go along.

Brit - just saying this because I didn't know until I did my first race, I don't know your background so huge apologies if you know this already. You do know that when you race you throw the old bottles away and get new full ones, don't you? So use your pirate ones for training but don't use them on race day, or you'll lose them. Again, sorry if you know this, it was just something in your post that worried me.
07/01/2013 at 10:49

"BTW - why were seat mounted cages banned? Seems like a great place for a bottle or two???"

they're only banned by the UCI for pro riders - the ban doesn't apply to tri.  I don't now what specific reason the UCI have used but as they have also banned frame integrated drinks bottles as well (like Cervelo and Trek have used), I suspect it's just to ensure a level playing field for all pro riders by only having caged bottles - sort of one size fits all.  and probably to get better sponsorship opportunities on all the ones that get thrown away....

seren nos    pirate
07/01/2013 at 13:36

can't see the advantage of the side opening one.........as there just doesn't seem to be the room to fit another cage.........and not sure that my ability with cable clips would keep one on.........i will stick to the tri bars one

21 to 40 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.