I go the Turbo Trainer... So what next?

What should I buy to help me get on the turbo?

21 to 40 of 48 messages
JvR
08/10/2012 at 08:59

I've got a couple of the Spinervals DVDs with 40 to 50 minutes sessions on them.
Definitely have something to watch while your on the turbo and something to play them with. I use a laptop with an external speaker attached as even on maximum volume the turbo drowns out the laptop speakers.

08/10/2012 at 09:05

I use sports headphones.

IronCat5    pirate
08/10/2012 at 09:10

Khanivore, get the Allen and Coggan book "Training and racing with a power meter". It makes even more sense.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/10/2012 at 09:31

If you have an old bike you can leave on the turbo it helps, it doesn't need to be roadworthy, for a while I used one that had only one functioning gear and just changed the resistance on the turbo at I went along.  No need to get quite so worried about corroding the headset either.

Some road tyres work well on a turbo, others just melt.  If you use a turbo tyre you'll need to swap the tyre (or the whole wheel) before taking your bike back on the road.

08/10/2012 at 13:28

Disagree with that link on 2*20s -  they are traditionally done at 100% ftp - in other words 2 work intervals of 20 minutes each done at what you could sustain (and I take that to mean in a race with all the motivation that entails) for an hour.   In other words pretty much as hard as you can manage in a garage without the extra motivation of a number on your back.

85% ftp is a much easier session - maybe a good starting point but you could do a lot longer and get a greater training load in at that level - if 2*20 of that is your hard session then you wont make many gains imo.   

Further discussion and different points of view here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/2x20s%3B_What_Percentage_of_FTP_P3755527

IronCat5    pirate
08/10/2012 at 13:48

Isn't 85% of FTP sweetspot?

08/10/2012 at 14:59

Yes

08/10/2012 at 16:38

Ironcat - i don't have a power meter. I will be training with the virtual power generated by trainerroad.com. I plan to just follow their routines.

IronCat5    pirate
08/10/2012 at 17:38
Khanivore wrote (see)

Ironcat - i don't have a power meter. I will be training with the virtual power generated by trainerroad.com. I plan to just follow their routines.

It is still 'power', and you're still training to a percentage of a number generated in a max test. So long as the number is repeatable it doesn't matter if it's accurate, watts or whats (official unit of virtual power) It's worth a read alone to know why you're given the routine and what it is doing to you.

I can't remeber who said it, but I think there is an element of truth in the "ask yourself what the purpose of the day's session is".

popsider wrote (see)

Yes

Just had a quick recap. SS is 88-94%, so 85 would be tempo/near SS. Not a bad place to be in. Allen et al suggest SS as one of the most beneficial places to train. My legs can't handle 2 FTP workouts in a week, with all the other stuff included, so one of my turbos will be SS from now on.

Will read the ST article.

TR
08/10/2012 at 17:39

Turbo doesnt have to be complicated, I dont have a power meter, or anything to look at other than the garage door, I do use a HRM now to keep my effort honest though.

I have a few different sessions that span 60 to 90mins that I'm happy to share if anyone wants (I'm not a great cyclist though !). I struggle to get my HR up outdoors so Turbo is a good option for me, and I dont bother to ride outdoors unless I have more than 90mins available.

meface    pirate
08/10/2012 at 23:12

Depends on your budget and space limitations.

I have a bent steel framed bike that lives on the turbo. Speeds up session start/end. If you have a spare bike/wheel then a turbo tyre is worth it to save the wear on a road tyre and they are quietier IMHO.

Also saves the road bike from sweat and more lost time washing it.

I have just splashed out on a big home cinema amp from ebay. With careful buying you can get an older 5-channel home cinema amp that would have been £1000-£2000 for £100. Couple of big speakers and the garage can rival a spinning studio for noise.

TV Screen is next on the list!

Somewhere to stick drinks/food.

Sessions to do. Tacx have some printable sessions on their website that would work with any turbo trainer.

09/10/2012 at 16:03

Have you acquired any of the turbo training guides by Peter Read ?

All solid, how to use a turbo to win races/time trials training sessions.  some are brutally hard ( on paper ).

I use mine with an ipad and some decent headphones.  great as long as the netflix keeps moving and the content is pacey. No time to get into drama/costume/soap nonsense!

and im just doing lots of L2 spinning every time. building a base and loosing the pounds

10/10/2012 at 09:10

if anyone wants to get some Sufferfest videos, they're offering a 10% off for today only - use the code CANTBEWRONG when checking out

#afbpublicserviceannouncement  

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/10/2012 at 17:18

OK so for a bike numpty who needs to improve what is the best sufferfest video to start with??

I'm tempted

meface    pirate
13/10/2012 at 21:12

The longest hardest one!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/10/2012 at 21:31

err no that wasn't what I was expecting or wanting to hear!

Rafiki    pirate
13/10/2012 at 21:34

EP - the Sufferfest website does gove a prety good description of each video and what its good for - spped, hills, intervals etc - so it depends what you're training for?

meface    pirate
13/10/2012 at 21:53
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

err no that wasn't what I was expecting or wanting to hear!

Sorry I thought you said you were a temptress but realise it now says tempted. Goes back to the beer.

IronCat5    pirate
13/10/2012 at 22:08

The Long Scream.

BWT
13/10/2012 at 23:25

Sufferfest...  is that as horrible as it sounds? 

Are they worth the money and how do they work?

If I do the training I will be powering up the hills rather than panting up them like a gorilla on a bicycle.  SO then only corners to learn and downhills - just how does one stop getting frighten going fast down them?

I should have stuck to just running!  At least that was only one sport I was bad at...  now I have three to total unwhelm at...  Thank goodness transition isn't a sport!

21 to 40 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.