I think I am over training

21 to 33 of 33 messages
Doner Kebab    pirate
16/06/2014 at 19:41
M...eldy wrote (see)
errr ... none taken

i know what you mean

and as far as the 70 to 90 miles goes thats totally meaningless 80 on the bike 10 running ? 40 running 20 swimming - who fucking knows, and that why i gave a stupid answer to which the irony went straight over the OP head. im so glad i pop in every so often 

cougie    pirate
16/06/2014 at 19:54
Er ok. Confusing.

But if you think you're overtraining then I think you probably are.

I'd have a week off and see how you feel after that. You don't lose any fitness in a week - so it must be worth a try.
17/06/2014 at 03:27
Hi S.C the plan I am referring to is Ironfit secrets for the half ironman by don fink a few people on the training for a shorter tri thread are currently using it, not to pricey but I believe there are free plans on beginner triathlete .com the fink book however covers HR zone efficiency, Core exercises, weights,drills etc plus the plan given your current training you should be okay jumping in at week 4 of the 16 week plan.
Slow_coach    pirate
17/06/2014 at 08:56

Thank you everyone, I might have made it a bit difficult for you all to get an understanding of my "hectic" training - mainly due to the fact that training this regularly and seriously is all new to me.
But have received some very good advice so will take this with me and let you know how I get on after the H IM if you are interested

Firstly I will take this week very easy - just swim and gym (as I am following a programme)

Secondly I will look at starting a plan next week or so.

Thank you all

Edited: 17/06/2014 at 09:01
17/06/2014 at 09:05

ahem

I don't think you quite understood what we said.

N O T H I N G

not even swim nor gym.  If you are over training, you need enforced rest. Nothing.  Don't make me come and tie you to a chair. Nooooothing.

Get it?

Honestly, those of us who have overtrained (me included) are speaking from experience.

17/06/2014 at 09:07

That also means no 18 mile run.

In case you didn't understand.

Slow_coach    pirate
17/06/2014 at 09:10

But ... but..... (bottom lip is out now...) - what about swim only? That doesnt take a lot of effort... not at my "pace" anyway...

Pleeeassee sirrrrr

Slow_coach    pirate
17/06/2014 at 09:11
M..o.use wrote (see)

That also means no 18 mile run.

In case you didn't understand.

No now you are just out of order!

Edited: 17/06/2014 at 09:12
17/06/2014 at 09:16

Sir?

Madam, if you please.

NO.

No swimming.

If you absolutely have to do something, you can do core work, strength and conditioning, yoga or pilates.

That's it.

TheEngineer    pirate
17/06/2014 at 10:13

Just for the sake of balance, I'd argue that an easy swim has less impact than a proper gym session.

Edited: 17/06/2014 at 10:14
17/06/2014 at 11:29

17/06/2014 at 12:04

I'd carry on training just cut back for a couple of weeks.   I think short sessions with some relatively hard but not super hard bits are what you need.   So a run might be 4 miles with two at half mara pace in the middle, a bike ride you might do 20 miles with 5 at a good speed etc.    In other words cut the volume right back for 2 weeks but leave a bit of moderately high intensity in there which will pretty much protect what you've gained so far and get the body used to working hard rather than just for a long time.   

If you were actually suffering illness and really deep fatigue I'd say total rest but it sounds more like where you just need to let your capacity to recover exceed your training for a few weeks to make up for a deficit the other way.   I've had the same recently playing catch up after enforced breaks and on Saturday any hill my quads were screaming right from the start and I couldn't stay with riders I'd normally ride away from but I know this weekend after a couple of hard chaingangs but little else I'll be ok.  

Symes-lent night    pirate
17/06/2014 at 17:14

You can do my swim for me if you like and I'll do your rest 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.