If you had c.£50 a month spare to spend on improving your performance..

how would you spend it

21 to 30 of 30 messages
09/08/2012 at 17:30

I'd buy a turbo trainer first, so that I can train and watch the telly at the same time and no longer have excuses not to train!

09/08/2012 at 18:05

No, you just find new excuses not to train.

09/08/2012 at 18:10

A running coach?

If I was able to train, it'd be Pilates.

Dustboy    pirate
09/08/2012 at 18:59

How's life LN? PM me? 

M...eldy    pirate
09/08/2012 at 19:10

Give it to me Gladys ... i'll sort you out  

Dustboy    pirate
09/08/2012 at 20:12

Beasting by Meldy. 

A paid commodity.

Class.

09/08/2012 at 21:35

PM your way DB, and thanks

10/08/2012 at 07:38

I had heard that one could have Meldy for £50 a month! 

Still no takers, eh??! 

IronCat5    pirate
10/08/2012 at 22:02

Hmm...probably a coach. Who would then prescribe swimming lessons and a power meter. So with that in mind I'd get swimming lessons, and buying some time back from work.

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
11/08/2012 at 11:23

my swim was rubbish , (I just got in the pool at started swimming) and I found some filmed sessions really useful in getting some basic technique / making the swim way less traumatic / energy sapping.

I now consistenty swim at 1:12 on just 2 swims a week...... - my first IM was 1:36.The sessions were spread out at one a month over 6 months.......

Then the next best thing I did was get a coach
This is a little more expensive than £50 a month, but then I dont have any gym membership to pay.  I thinks its more effective than buying a TT bike or a set of wheels, but obviously its still a luxury item.
I found this really effective in building general fitness / endurance, and in getting me doing stuff consistently across the year.  My running came on dramatically, which I was not expecting.  Sessions I once thought of as 'one off's' are now routine, ie a 3.8k swim or hour TT swim.
Its not rocket science, but I found it easier than trying to (over) plan it all myself, and I get given some sessions I dislike, but those are the effective ones......(ie intervals)
Swimming is also a lot less boring - every session is different
I found it good to self coach for a year, then when I struggled in the second year, I found a coach great for adding variety / and building on the base I had already built up.

It can also help in focusing efforts in whats most effective as well, (ie I am told to go easy on a lot of sessions rather than trying to hammer it the whole time)

If you find a coach you like, then you can learn a lot in a year, then go back to self coaching, However I am enjoying it enough that I am going back for another year.

I got some advice from Rosie on this thats really useful - look for coaches just starting out, (ie aspiring pros / elite age groupers / tri club coaches working their way up) - They will be cheaper, and potentially more personal than the premium coaching setups, (that are really expensive). However, they are still learning their stuff......
He may know some people who currently fit the bill now.....

Edited: 11/08/2012 at 11:27

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.