IM 16 - 17 hours club

A place for us slower people to foster some mutual support and self belief

401 to 420 of 660 messages
AndyB99    pirate
02/03/2012 at 14:39
BBP...if you can ride round the forest of bowland you'll be fine on a flatter course...dont worry about the speeds your doing.....flatter course (there isnt much flat round here as you know)...closed roads....better trained by then.....should be good for 2-3 mph at least faster.
which local race you doing??
bburn plO.dder    pirate
02/03/2012 at 15:00

Hi Andy,

I'm doing the Stonyhurst Tri on 22nd April. It's the first time it's been held. Should be a good warm up race, 400m pool, 21km hilly bike and 5km run.

The bike rides goes over Jeffrey Hill, at the top of Longridge Fell, if you know it. That hill is my nemesis!! It's a beast .

Check it out, it looks like a nice low key event, in lovely countryside

02/03/2012 at 15:59

Lots of great info - I'll leave the aerobars until much further down the line for sure if they're not essential for making up masses of time.

My legs definitely need a lot of bike work! At the moment I can't get up The Hill on the way home (which I could on Tuesday)  Once they've stopped burning I'll map out a longer route home - Great idea Cake.

Bbp, it's lucky we know that it's physically possible!

02/03/2012 at 17:00

Ref aero bars.... ferret makes a great point, which i'd missed.... i dunno how many of us are doing genuinely long rides at the moment, but as well as giving you free speed, the extra riding positions they provide take soooooo much stress out of your neck and shoulders, and we'll all value that after 5-8 hours in the saddle! One other thing i remembered..... for those nervous about their bike handling.... it's an unwritten rule that you NEVER use them on group rides. Don't give the roadies an excuse to call you a twat.

You can get an adequate pair of clip-ons for less than £50, but save them for your solo rides

+1 to Andy's comment, plodder.... if you're wrestling with Bowland's finest, you're getting a great strength base. Race day will all feel like you're riding downhill. Honest!

Edited: 02/03/2012 at 17:02
02/03/2012 at 17:36

So the bike course is up!  

All I've got to do now is get my training back on track. Not done much of anything this last couple of weeks.  Got sent home from work on Wednesday by occupational health (embarrassing or what) and was started on antidepressants yesterday.  I feeling really muzzy-headed now and not safe to be riding a bike thats for sure but hopefully that will wear off soon and I can get going again. I t   

On aero bars - I've got these as recommended by the lovely Mouse.  They are not quite as long and scarey as some others I've seen (oo, er, missus).

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/223573/Gallery/pd_aerobar_jammergt_angle_1.jpg

02/03/2012 at 17:48
Soups hope you start to feel better soon.
Got my bike fixed and picked it up today.Going to do a 30 miler in the morning.Then Ive got Haweswater half on Sunday,my Birthday.I got some areo bars a few months back.Only used them a couple of times.My tip is only use them on roads you know until you get confident.
IronCat5    pirate
02/03/2012 at 17:59

And watch out for other road users who can't see you when you on them!

Had a SMIDSY moment today when someone reversed out of their drive into my lane. The extra time needed to get to the brakes made me think it was going to get messy.

03/03/2012 at 21:57
Jeez Soupy... that sounds rough. Get yourself well soon!
03/03/2012 at 22:41

Just read back what I put - not as bad as it sounds, just went back to work too early after 3 weeks off. Embarrasing all the same.  Side effects of flippin tablets are pants though. I've gone off the taste of alcohol - how bad does it get!   Still aiming to do this though, the training will do me good and as my bitch of a boss is trying to block my holiday for it I'm sure as hell not not giving it up. I thought it was just me getting a hard time but just learned she's refused a colleague time off for her honeymoon that she booked last summer!  So thats 2 formal grievances about the same person gone in within the same month. What a bitch.

Sorry - rant over.  Run planned for me tomorrow which I'm actually fired up for and looking forward to - hurray!!

04/03/2012 at 07:46

Morning Soupy

Good for you for not letting her get you down - your sticking to your Outlaw plans and doing it and completing it (which I'm sure you will) will be the best "2 fingers" you can give her.....

I can't imagine she's going to get away with this behaviour much longer..........was this your original boss from this job before your temp period away at the other job? If so did she use to be like this?

anyway - you keep going and feel free to rant anytime you want - if you can rant in here then it may help you get off those pills and back onto the alcofrol in true pirate fashion

I'm off for a very wet day out by the looks of things so Happy Sundays all whatever you're doing

04/03/2012 at 08:45

Morning Podds. Wet day on the cards for me too, not the introduction back to running I'd envisaged but I've said I'm doing it so I am.  Yes, same boss whose always been bad, but she got worse when I moved to the promotion secondment and even worse still when I left that to go back. Occy health is being great I have to add and have told her twice, in no uncertain terms, that her relationship with me has completely broken down and I can't go back till its sorted. I've done a 10 page chronology and  I'm on the waiting list for some CBT so hope I'm not on the pills for long. I've been told to exercise in the mean time.  

Porrige finished, kit sorted - time to get wet.

Have a good day everyone.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
04/03/2012 at 10:15

That sounds rough Soupy, hope it all gets sorted soon. I'm sure keeping up the exercise will help keep you positive.

Cake, thanks for the offer re: tri bars.  

I was pleased with my ride yesterday, 3hrs 02 mins, 39.48 miles !! Only checked the distance after I got home, otherwise I'd have gone round the block for half a mile, to make it a round 40.

IronCat5    pirate
04/03/2012 at 14:03

I hope it all works out for you Soupy.

Don't forget we're here for CBT (Cat's Bike-ride Therapy) if you need it!

BTW - I have some aerobars I don't need any more. triathlon style ones. Make me an offer people...

Edited: 04/03/2012 at 14:07
04/03/2012 at 17:36

did the Mad March Sportive today. Very wet and very cold. Forgot my gloves and paid for it big time. Couldnt feel my fingers after about 30miles and even changing gear was a problem let alone undoing zips to access food. rain for most of it and we were treated to heavy snow at the top of the big climb.

ah well lesson learnt and 76 mies (very slow) in the bank

AndyB99    pirate
08/03/2012 at 11:33
where has everybody gone?? have we all migrated to the IM training thread or something???
08/03/2012 at 12:54

Training's going that well everyone's moved up to the 14-15 hour thread.

Slagiatt    pirate
08/03/2012 at 13:15
 just sickening ... training this far in advance ... and they call themselves Pirates
Ironholgs    pirate
08/03/2012 at 14:13

Bburn Plodder - if you are cycling over longridge fell and some of the other hills we have up here in the Forest of Bowland, you'll find the Outlaw course quite easy.

The hills will build your leg strength, you just need to work on your cadence for getting your speed up on a flatter course.

Good luck.

Training? It'll never catch on.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
08/03/2012 at 14:51

Thanks for the encouragement Ironholgs , although I have to confess I get off and push up Jeffrey Hill , on a positive note, I can get over the fell approaching it form the other side

Pint ? Yes please, always up for a pint

08/03/2012 at 17:24
My training starts in earnest on 15th April. Then on 19th April I'm doing LEJOG. That should get me fit enough to get around I hope!! Not started running yet due to dodgy knees!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.