IM 16 - 17 hours club

A place for us slower people to foster some mutual support and self belief

621 to 640 of 648 messages
bburn plO.dder    pirate
28/05/2012 at 16:27
Thanks Muffin Top!!! Sounds like having a recce of the hill was a good plan, like you say a real confidence builder now you know that it's nothing to be scared off!
Iron Muffin    pirate
28/05/2012 at 19:10

BBburn plodder. It wont even seem like a hill to you

30/05/2012 at 21:20

Dusty, if the cap fits mate!!  ;~)  Only kidding!  

Nice swim at Shepperton today.  The water was lovely, almost like a cool swimming pool!  Dusty, you'd love it!  The grass was relatively goose poo free, sand going down into the water and a new wooden plinth and gazebo for the check in area!

Relatively clear 3/4 of the way round just a bit of floating debris on the back stretch.  It's becomming very popular.  60 + cars there when I left at 7.15 and some had left before then! 

Dustboy    pirate
30/05/2012 at 22:46

60 cars!!! Feck. That weed at 3/4 is the one that chases me round squealing like a girl. Might try and make next week. Suppose I ought to get some OW in. Might try and get Lord H down for his first OW. He can swim 2 lengths of a 25M pool now and only stop once in the middle. That's close enough innit?

30/05/2012 at 22:54

He can negotiate the 400m loop!

There wasn't any weed, it was bits floating on the surface.  Twigs, leaves flotsam and jetsom stuff!  Nothing to get worried about.  It's open Monday evenings as well as both mornings on the weekend, although saying that with it being bank holiday I'm not sure whether it'll be open this Monday.  I'll check it out!  

Dustboy    pirate
30/05/2012 at 23:04

Can't make Monday, away on a religious contemplation retreat, Weds MAY be a goer but may be a 4-5 hour longish bike 14.00 onwards, wanna come?. Weds 13th, lets make it a date dear? Can you "encourage me" around 4 X 750 laps?

30/05/2012 at 23:14

I've got 'visitors' up from the south west!  They can watch / take part in a swim, but I think it would be a bit rude to disappear for 4 to 5 hours I'm afraid!  

Shepperton is open Wednesday morning from 6.30 too.  You could do the swim before a bike ride and then make it more realistic!!  

Dustboy    pirate
30/05/2012 at 23:52

Got a back scan at half twelve but work in the morning. Might have to do one of these early morning swims though...suppose had better get used to it. 

02/06/2012 at 09:27

Not long now! I'm almost ready to start bouncing with excitment at supporting you lot at the feed station.  Great to read about your training. I'll be gutted at the start and finish that I'm not there with you, but I might be laughing to myself at the bits in between.  

Dusty - get up and swim.  I'm keen for a paddle in ow now the temps are getting warmer. Are you Southern lot doing Shepperton instead of Thorpe then?

02/06/2012 at 18:36

Shepperton is my preferred lake Soupy.  It's friendly, clean and just for swimmers, so no diesel / aviation fuel taste in the water!! There's a bar upstairs at the sailing club and warm showers and changing rooms below there too!  I'm going there early tomorrow (Sunday), it's open from 7am to 11 on weekends and evenings on Monday and Wednesday as well as from 6-9am on Wednesday.  15.5 degrees today, apparently.  You can feel the cooler water on your fingertips as you swim!

IronCat5    pirate
02/06/2012 at 20:55

Siggy - is it open over the bank holidays?

03/06/2012 at 07:06

Open this morning until 11am and tomorrow from 5.30 to 8.30pm as usual Cat.  

26/06/2012 at 09:46

Popping in to do cartwheels and blow the trumpet for all clubbers this weekend. I can't wait to support you on the bike leg so if you are a club member I haven't met give me a yell (oh, you don't know who I am either do you so you can't!). 

I hope you are not all fretting too much right now.......you can do this. 

26/06/2012 at 09:47

Its a good omen. The cut n paste function just worked without rubbish to edit out. 

09/09/2013 at 20:38

Can we re-activate this IM 16-17 club as I think I'm a prime candidate for ironmanUK next year 

Cake    pirate
10/09/2013 at 00:32

Red i don't think it's ended just everyone has done there races for this year so thrying not to think about it for a few months. Have you desided which one you want to do?

10/09/2013 at 10:04

Red - I'll be near the back end for IMUK next year (target is sub-15, but will be happy with a finish).

I've also had a couple of "witching hour" finishes at the Outlaw in the past, so I know what it takes to get the best value for money in an Ironman

10/09/2013 at 12:41

i think the pictures look better when you finish in the dark anyway

11/09/2013 at 18:15

Hiya everyone. I guess it must that time of year again when we consider IM ambitions and for me its about getting to start line which I haven't even made yet. 

So - I'm writing down all the reasons why my training and courage went to pot last year (and the year before, oh dear) to avoid the same things again. Some reasons were unavoidable but the lazy ones like not getting out of bed just need another alarm clock and some tough love. If I fail this time round then I obviously don't want it hard enough. 

Also considering the earlier advice of not training to the cut-offs but its hard when naturally slow. We can do this though.  Am I scared of the witching hour? - ermmmmm No.   Do I want to get the start line this year? Yes!  Bring on Enduroman.   

11/09/2013 at 18:20

Hi Soupy,

I recently read this thread from the beginning, mostly because it has loads of what I think of as a 'Piratey' attitude.  I was sorry to come to the bit where you needed to follow a different path this time around, but have my fingers crossed for you next year.

621 to 640 of 648 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.