IM Lanza and Wales

Who's crazy enough?

1 to 20 of 82 messages
18/11/2013 at 18:55

So although Wales is now sold out (unbelievable! I got my place for this year in June) is anyone else doing Wales and Lanzarote in 2014? (I'm also signed up for Outlaw too - anyone doing all three?).

I know of one definite - Silent Assassin.

M...eldy    pirate
18/11/2013 at 19:22

Lanza and Wales are relatively 'easy' enough to do in a season as there is a good amount of recovery inbetween them ... quite whether Outlaw is viable will depend on what you want from each of them in the way of goals

18/11/2013 at 19:27
All signed up for now. Outlaw is just to experience it - Lanza and Wales are more focused results. Just wondered if there are any others doing the same
kittenkat    pirate
18/11/2013 at 19:36

Meldy, no. I don't agree with you. You are coming from someone very monied and slow, but accomplished in being part of the ship.

You respond without asking anything about who is posting; their level of fitness, ability to train or financial cave to delve into.

The biggest thing I have 'disliked' on this forum over the years is that people can just post shit advice and it's never been checked other that some sort of substancial 'online standing vague vote'. Some of it really is crap.

Meldy is normally ok, but I'm not agreeing with her post here. If you want to perform and achieve anything other than the cut off, take other advice.

Before I get shot, that's just a vote for those of us that can only afford to do very few IM and all the other expensive tri experiences.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
18/11/2013 at 19:40
And that told you... You Toff Meldy
kittenkat    pirate
18/11/2013 at 19:42

Ok, that was a bit OTT from me, but who really can afford 3 IM in one year, and actually be an elite as opposed to a complete dick?

Anything inbetween just seems a bit too monied and first world needy. Give one of those entries at least to Children in Need.

Happy to be proved wrong. Ok, on pain of death will accept being proved wrong.

18/11/2013 at 19:44
I'm only doing one IM next year, cos I'm poor
18/11/2013 at 19:47

seems a bit cruel to make any needy children do an ironman

18/11/2013 at 19:49
Perhaps we should organise Kitten Kats in Need next year...
kittenkat    pirate
18/11/2013 at 19:50
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
I'm only doing one IM next year, cos I'm poor

Where does 'cos I'm poor' trump 'fat and shit' in your psychology? I would guess somewhere between 4 and 7 when we really start to store up our memories and plan revenge? If you were fat at 5 years old I'm on your side. Bastard bullies, if you were also poor, I don't honestly know how to reach to your emotional distress. Were you ginger?

18/11/2013 at 19:52

If someone wants to spend their disposable income on multiple IMs so be it and shouldn't catch flack for it - they work hard just as you do KK.  If they train hard and have the talent why not?  And if someone signs up for three IMs then surely they have some idea of the input needed to meet those goals - aye?

kittenkat    pirate
18/11/2013 at 19:55

Jeez, not that I've ever been fat. Ewwww, so distancing myself from that implied statement.

kittenkat    pirate
18/11/2013 at 19:55

My work is done. Bows.

18/11/2013 at 20:03

Think its possible to treat both as an A race due to the amount of time between them, hardest thing if it was me would be to keep the motivation to train for Wales after getting back from Lanza (Although I know you have a goal that should keep you motivated), I would use Outlaw as a training day and maybe consider doing the swim/bike and dropping out of the run.

cougie    pirate
18/11/2013 at 20:08
I don't see whats wrong with meldys advice KK ?
Ironfanny has paid for their three race entries. Its a safe assumption that money to do them isn't an issue here. Sounds like you're just jealous ?

Train properly for Lanza and you've plenty of time to recover and train up for Wales. As meldy correctly says - throwing outlaw in the mix confuses matters.

What makes your advice any more valid ? What forums do have checks ? It's a forum after all ?

I'm sure IF can work out who's giving crap advice.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
18/11/2013 at 20:29

Im fat and shit, ive done multiple Ironman races in one year a number of times.

As suggested if you can get fit for one Ironman you can potentially do 2, 3 or more?  As suggested by Flat Footed, the hardest thing can be motivation, its difficult to pick up again after the first IM, ive found myself of the start line of subsequent IMs thinking 'what am I doing here'.  Try and plan for this and have some goals, maybe plan a couple of 100 mile rides in between to keep you motivated.

For some people doing an IM is about being the best, or being the best they can be.  For me its a hobby, a past time and something I enjoy.  I don't remember have to sign up to any eligibility criteria promising id get under x time or increase my VO2 max last time I entered an IM.

Clearly some people can afford IM more easily than others, just as some people can train for IM easier than others.  Maybe if I didn't have a job which takes me away from home, sees me doing 10-15 hours travelling and maybe 60 hours work a week id be in the latter category. 

Im not sure about KKs point, clearly you have to be 'monied' to do an Ironman, lets face it, an Ironman entry costs about the same as 12 months Sky subscription, a smart phone, a months ciggies.

18/11/2013 at 20:33
Or 3 weeks Stella ?
kittenkat    pirate
18/11/2013 at 20:35

Cougie, the name 'Ironfanny' might just might.... Oh, well never mind! It's like the fucking demon barbour of Seville, on a very small scale, tiny to the point of a child's. Well never mind (that's 2 strikes).

I'm just still amused that some people are going to stomp in and make it about THEIR RIGHT to enter IM or any generic sized distance races, and be VERY proud.

Don't you kk, ever try to tell me it's just a 'race'. Bitch! 

Edited: 18/11/2013 at 20:37
TheEngineer    pirate
18/11/2013 at 20:42
Don't you know KK did the double once? And apparently she was good at it. Not as good as Mon who was an hour up the road though. But that was before all the kit came along and ruined everything.

Who threw that??
18/11/2013 at 20:42
Wow didn't expect this....just a query as to who may also be doing Lanza and Wales.

To explain my situation, I'm not 'monied' I'm purely on a motivated mission. My niece died in her sleep whilst supporting me in Tenby so since that day I have decided to follow my dream and do everything in my power to get to Kona as well as raise money in honour of my niece the process. I'm in an age group many don't enter in especially the more difficult of Ironmans. I am not an elite and not particularly fast but that's what I'm working on. Outlaw was booked before Wales when I had the mindset I would never do it again. On September the 8th this year everything changed. Bolton was sold out so I signed up for Wales again to try and qualify and lanzarote's entry was raised between my family as another shot to get to Hawaii.

So as for motivation I think I've got that one covered. And I agree flat footed outlaw will be a training race - especially if Lanza doesn't go to plan. Always one I have wanted to experience.
1 to 20 of 82 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.