IM on a shoestring.

...if I can pick ya brains.

21 to 40 of 94 messages
TheEngineer    pirate
15/09/2010 at 16:51

There's a brainwashing machine?!

Might come in handy, depending how powerful it is... there's some filth up here!!

seren nos yn canu    pirate
15/09/2010 at 16:52

Thre one I'm doing is the one in hampshire linked to the multiday ones.............some from here are atempting the deca.which is 10 IM in 10 days............I wil be doing the single which is on the last day of their 10...............some people are also doing the double and triple IM which are on the last 2 and three days of the wek..............should be a few people down there...but it is a lot of smaller loops....rather than some of the other IM which has a few larger loops.......

I'm going as its very cheap......camping uis very cheap there...........and it should be a good party with no flights to worry about........

TheEngineer    pirate
15/09/2010 at 16:56
Sounds very tempting seren. For the reasons you listed, and as I might not be the most incapacitated person there come the end of the day!
The Silent Assassin    pirate
15/09/2010 at 17:12
SlowEngineer wrote (see)

FerrousFerret - What turbo was that, do you know? And I'm based in Stoke (home) and Leeds (uni).

Let me know when you are home, I work in Stoke, live in Macclesfield

Mrs SA is doing the outlaw next year, so I dont think she will mind the company for any bikes rides etc.

i might be able to help you out with kit etc as I'm doing nothing next year

Lee the Pea    pirate
15/09/2010 at 17:14
Cake wrote (see)
SlowEngineer wrote (see)

there's some filth up here!!

You've not met Lee and scmuckee yet.

OI!   ....okay, fair enough

Hello SE, welcome to the dark side   As folk have said, you could probably do it fairly cheaply if you're careful, and once you've got the basics, there isn't much major kit left to buy, unless you want to upgrade, but no reason you should need to if put a bit of thought into what you'll need.  Though it si a bit rich saying that because i'm slightly crap with money, and tend to buy things I want, and worry about paying it off later.  DON'T DO THAT, if you can help it!  Be sensible, unlike me

See, nothing filthy at all Cake   Though in saying that, I could really go some Cake right now.  I'm hungry I mean , but i'm sure you knew that's what I meant

15/09/2010 at 17:41

Re Fleabay bikes - good plan if you are sure of your sizing....otherwise a potential wasteof money.

Bike Radar also a good place to look for second hand, and most people there would be happy for you to go and check the bike out if you're local.

15/09/2010 at 18:03
It's probably too big - it's big on me and I'm 6'1.5 so you'd really have to be that height.  I'd imagine you are looking at 55.5 or 56cm top tube.
15/09/2010 at 19:22
To answer the question previously I have a Tacx Sirius, but a brief google would suggest most turbos can take both a 26" (MTB) and 700cc (road) wheel. I'm certain the more knowledgeable will pull me up if I'm wide of the mark
15/09/2010 at 20:01
Cake wrote (see)
SlowEngineer wrote (see)

there's some filth up here!!

You've not met Lee and scmuckee yet.

Oi, I ain't that sorta girl 

And even if I was, I am dahn 'ere, not 'up here'

Edited: 15/09/2010 at 20:03
TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 09:49

SA - thanks for the heads up, I'll let you know... I am back this weekend but sadly tied up with sister's birthday festivities. Which might involve some beer training.

Lee - I can certainly sympathise with the buy now pay later attitude, that's part of the reason why I'm a broke student, and not just a student! I am going to plan my purchases carefully in order to make the most of this money though, make it work extra hard.

popsider - Thanks for the offer anyway! I'll have a look what there is on the 'bay with that size, and take myself down to the bike shop to see what they say too. I'm expecting it to be mostly "give us all your money"...

Schmunkee - Are you a dirty southerner then?

Regarding turbo trainers again... I've read about getting turbo tyres for ones steed, but is something like that possible for MTBs? Or have I missed something? 

Edited: 16/09/2010 at 09:50
16/09/2010 at 10:28

MTB turbo tyre http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/tacx-training-tyre-mtb-26x125-id41734.html

Although I might be tempted just to stick a cheap slick on the back (I use a regular road tyre on the bike I have on the turbo).

TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 10:35

Thanks FF

Wiggle have a sale on trainers.... Hmmm...

TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 11:14

Sorry, to clarify... "turbo trainers".

And to give a little bit of background I'm not coming into the idea of doing the IM totally green, having done Paris marathon in April and running Abingdon next month. I have a stationary bike, which I can spend a couple of hours at a time on, but I'm very aware that I need a bit more resistance than it offers and also that it isn't the right geometry for me.

I've also let myself in for the OMM next month... so there might not be a me left to do the IM actually...

TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 11:41
I'll bring my binoculars...
TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 11:46
(to see you lot disappearing off into the distance ahead of me...)
TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 11:57
Ooooh company!
Lee the Pea    pirate
16/09/2010 at 12:20
You'll not need binoculars to see this lot SE!!!  Oh, and despite what Schmunks says, she is that sort of girl  Good luck with Abingdon
The Silent Assassin    pirate
16/09/2010 at 12:44
Cake wrote (see)
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
SlowEngineer wrote (see)

FerrousFerret - What turbo was that, do you know? And I'm based in Stoke (home) and Leeds (uni).

Let me know when you are home, I work in Stoke, live in Macclesfield

Mrs SA is doing the outlaw next year, so I dont think she will mind the company for any bikes rides etc.

i might be able to help you out with kit etc as I'm doing nothing next year

Speaking of which should be at new mills weekend after next if you guys want to play? Should be free in the afternoon.

IS that the 26th - Macclesfield Half for Mrs SA that day, that said Viking and Colourin are also running and then coming round for food, you are welcome to join us

Cake wrote (see)
SlowEngineer wrote (see)

running Abingdon next month.

Look for the yellow and black cross bones there will be a few of us there.

Us as well, Mrs SA looking for a PB

Edited: 16/09/2010 at 12:44
TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 13:07
A PARTY??! That sounds more like what I've been training for!
TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 14:28

What do people think of this bike? It's got two wheels, and looks quite nice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Claud-Butler-Levante-Road-Bike-2009-56cm-Frame-/150493949832?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item230a236f88

21 to 40 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.