Its got flat handle bars!!!!!!!

You wont be allowed to complete in an IM event with that

TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 15:00

Ah.

Thought it was too good to be true.

16/09/2010 at 15:02
SlowEngineer wrote (see)

What do people think of this bike? It's got two wheels, and looks quite nice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Claud-Butler-Levante-Road-Bike-2009-56cm-Frame-/150493949832?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item230a236f88

nothing special there move along what height are you SE? 
The Silent Assassin    pirate
16/09/2010 at 15:04

Unless you know what you are buying I would ster clear of ebay.

A cheap second hand bike THATS FITS YOU

will be better than an expensive one that doesn't, you need first of all to find out what size frame fits you best

16/09/2010 at 15:08

What SA said regarding fit, something like below will do fine for starters then when you get realy into it and have a bit more cash that becomes your hack bike

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=21398

TheEngineer    pirate
16/09/2010 at 15:32

OK so taking everything in... second hand that fits better than new that doesnt... will this, then, in theory, be cheaper?

I realise that flat bars aren't suitable for the event, but completely missed that when I looked at the bike, which is embarrassing. I think I'd prefer to go for a more upmarket bike that was second hand than a brand new bike of the same cost, but I'm concerned I'm gonna make one of my signature spectacular-cock-ups...

16/09/2010 at 15:54
If you want to go second hand, you might want to try finding a bike fitting service first.  This should give you an idea of what size frame/stem etc would suit (and shouldn't cost loads).   I did this, bought second hand and then got the shop that did the bike fit to give the bike a service and set it up to the dimensions from the fitting.
16/09/2010 at 17:13

If you fancy an IM branded race then approach a charadeeee and commit to raising say 2K and they'll happily stump up the entry cost. Then you can use the £200 saved to buy some cheap flights to Europe and camp next to the race.

Big event - all the bling for little cost, easier to get sponsorship for an official IM (even though it shouldn't make a difference). IM France will still have places.

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
16/09/2010 at 17:52

Buying second hand you need to know what youre looking at.  Could be a false economy if you need to replace any or most of the following after 3 months training.

Brake blocks
Brake/gear cables
chain/cassette
Wheels (if the rims are worn)
Check frame/forks for damage

16/09/2010 at 19:18

Or you need to know someone who knows what they're looking at lol!

Both my bikes have been second hand, and with a fair amount of help from my friends (thanks Bassy!) they've turned out bargainousnesstastic.

TheEngineer    pirate
17/09/2010 at 12:17

Ok so do most bike shops do such a thing, or is there anywhere more specific that I can go? Obviously a bike shop is there to sell bikes and I don't want to particularly to ask for a fitting if I can't afford their shiny new bikes...

Barlist - you've summed up the main concern I have with buying 2nd hand. That and I can miss blindingly obvious things such as handlebars. (!!!)

I have a friend who does tri but he spends most of his time in Cardiff and I spend most of mine in Leeds, so will have to see when he's free...

I think I'm gonna shoot for the Outlaw, it's close and I have a couple of months to start assessing where I'm at with fitness before taking the plunge. Signing up for the Uni gym today so I can take advantage of free pool sessions...

17/09/2010 at 12:42
lurking, its all very interesting and these pirates and tri guys are so helpful!!!  good luck se!!!
TheEngineer    pirate
17/09/2010 at 13:17
Cake - I haven't swum much since I ended my last gym membership, so maybe a year ago. I should hope to get up to a reasonable level of technique quickly though, as I used to be a lifeguard! That said, I never did much open water, except the odd training day - I'm guessing it's a lot different when you're freezing your bollocks off!
Lee the Pea    pirate
17/09/2010 at 13:29
Wabo wrote (see)
lurking, its all very interesting and these pirates and tri guys are so helpful!!!  good luck se!!!

Wabo's doing an IM too, aren't you Wabo?  
TheEngineer    pirate
17/09/2010 at 13:50

I agree with Wabo. People are nice here.

17/09/2010 at 13:53
SlowEngineer wrote (see)

Ok so do most bike shops do such a thing, or is there anywhere more specific that I can go? Obviously a bike shop is there to sell bikes and I don't want to particularly to ask for a fitting if I can't afford their shiny new bikes...

Any decent bike shop should ensure that the bike they sell you will fit.  Some however, will offer a fitting service for a charge and will then give you a picture of the 'ideal' bike fit.  I was fitted using a measuring system created by bikefitting.com- their website gives a list of franchisees in the UK.  I had the standard fit service (which was either 35 or 50 quid).  A brief google indicates there are other shops which offer similar (paid for) services. 
TheEngineer    pirate
17/09/2010 at 14:03
Ahaaaa. I'll do that I think
TheEngineer    pirate
17/09/2010 at 14:04
I don't mind paying for a fitting as long as I get something useful from it. I just didn't want to go asking a shop to size me up, then either be in a position where they want me to buy a bike or I feel obliged to!
17/09/2010 at 14:48

I knew lee the pea would pick that up!!!

mmm not till 2012 at least!!

TheEngineer    pirate
18/09/2010 at 01:35
Oh go on Wabo!

I'm putting my name down on the thread of accountability... no going back now...
41 to 60 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.