IM Switzerland 2007

Anyone in?

201 to 220 of 521 messages
05/12/2006 at 16:26
Thanks Harry feel much better now, actually think the "ironmaiden" look is better than the "racing snake" look - shoo those ladies are soooooooooooo thin, sigh not that Ive ever had that problem, but..... : )
05/12/2006 at 19:30
Yeah I've got that snake look, apart from the scales!
05/12/2006 at 23:10
oops sorry
05/12/2006 at 23:12
Have you seen What It Takes, Peter Reid was so thin by the time he came to race in Hawaii - you could count his ribs, looked like an orphan waif, especially with the shaven hair cut.
05/12/2006 at 23:14
Had a bit of a panic in the pool tonight as I was battling through the 200m - get so tired swimming, suppose its a completely different fitness to all the rest of the disciplines. At least I can honestly say that I enjoyed the bike ride this morning, even though the wind was howling.
06/12/2006 at 09:31
Yeah the swim is different, I am training with my friend for Bala middle distance and he's a pretty good runner and cyclist, we train together pretty well for that. But for the swimming he really struggled. As long as your enjoying you'll get through it fine. Not sure if I'm such a fan of riding atm especially in the mancunian micro climate (it's raining pretty hard today). I just tried to get out whenever it doesn't rain
06/12/2006 at 09:33
Oh btw my Mum and Grandad have book their flights and hotels so I've got some supporters!!! Whoop Whoop
06/12/2006 at 14:55
I miss the mancunian micro climate, spent a few years living there whilst at Uni. The problem with New York is the temperature. It is bright and sunny out but way too cold.... Oh well, it will be another session on the turbo for me today.
06/12/2006 at 16:44
Is it snowing yet BigBob? Heard Chigaco was having its first snow. Those beautiful crisp clear days are so divine, at least you know the sky is far away, here it always feels as though you could touch it if you just stretched a little more.

Yeah my family are coming out from Fri-Tues, hope its a good thing as in the past when theyve supported me I always want to stop and chat or catch a lift home - suddenly get all emotional when they are there, feel the pain.
06/12/2006 at 18:35
BB - Yeah that's why I'm in manc as well, I graduate in summer and am moving back down south. I'm been stuck on the turbo today, those thing are boring.

Fit40,my mum and girlfriend are my support crew and are always there as well which is awesome stuff. Mum suprised with a pack of wine gums (my favourite) half way round snowdonia marathon, legend!
07/12/2006 at 03:50
No snow yet!! its actually warmed up today but it is going to be sub zero by the weekend.

What are you studying Harry? I graduated in 2001 with a degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering. I loved Manchester!!

Will be over in a couple of weeks for Xmas, a week in Yorkshire and a few days in London, no doubt the training will suffer.
09/12/2006 at 21:20
BB - I study Maths, engineering degree are solid!! How'd you end up in the States my older brother tried getting work out there when he graduated but couldn't get anything!!

I got snowed on today, was out for a long ride (70 miles - longest yet) and whilst over one of the moors I was snowed on, it didn't put me in a great christmas mood though!! My feet were like ice blocks
10/12/2006 at 15:12
My better half is a Yank so I moved over to be with her, getting work has been a nightmare but I start a new position this next week.

It's a beautiful day over here but too cold to cycle outdoors.... Oh well, the gym is looming!! Luckily, I did my long ride on Friday, which was just a two hour stint on the Turbo, will probably run later!
11/12/2006 at 21:19
BB - haven't you been a gasman in your live? Can you come back to London and fix our boiler? It has an electrical problem anyway and british gas have proven themselves useless!

It ruins my training! Who would go out in teh knowledge of having a cold shower when home?
11/12/2006 at 22:37
Never fettled with Gas Lars, so wouldn't be able to help you there! I thought that cold showers were good for you, something about promoting faster recovery :-)
14/12/2006 at 15:52
Hey all hope your doing well this week, been on my turbo this week (and using my heart rate monitor) and I am just wondering what kind of heart rates I should be looking at aiming for.

When training my heart rate gets to 140 which is quite an effort on the legs but not on the respiratory system, is this possibly because I the length strength/endurance to actually push my lungs harder. I can get my heart to about 165 maximum and this is massively difficult as in I start making the turbo rock all over the place. Problem is I can't retain it because my legs just get tired so easily.

Any one used the turbo much before and know anything about HR zones. I know when I run it's a lot easier to raise my heart rate and get the lungs working without my legs feeling like they might drop off
21/12/2006 at 19:47
And also here my last minute warning for lurkers

LESS THAN 100 PLACES LEFT. LURK FASTER ;-)

ps: BB, still alive?
28/12/2006 at 20:53
Hello all.....At last Ive dusted my turbo down & have got back on the bike this week!

Been looking at other races pre IM CH, and was looking at Weymouth half.
What's peoples opinions of doing this 3 weeks before IM CH?
And what's Weymouth like?

Would apreciate any thoughts & opinions on this.
Thanks
29/12/2006 at 16:05
I did it last year 4 weeks before IMCH.

My personal experience:

Swim is very cold, and a see swim. Took me over 40 minutes compared to a 1:15 IMCH swim.
When I stopped swimming I just couldn't move. I lost soo much time on 2 friends that finished that next to me, I reached my bike and 1 was already gone, the other was gone by the time I removed my wetsuit.
Swim exit is painful on the feet over very sharp stones. But then, my feet where numb enogh not to mind too much.

Bike had traffic light in it which wasn't good. There were road works and marshals were writing down how long each cyclist had to stop. As it is a kind of out and back there it stopped me twice.
Otherwise it is along a dual carriage way and back,then a b-road and back. Overall slightly short (which on the day was nice for me).

Run is hilly, and, if you are as far back as I was, lonely. They were running out of energy drink the 2nd lap around.

Some of my friends liked it, I didn't. Killed all the confidence I had.

Personally, I don't think I will race this year before Switzerland. Last year I was nervous about it, but I think I can benefit more from a long ide and run that week than from a race.
30/12/2006 at 22:21
Thanks for the info Lars......doesn't sound like you had great time!!
Im thinking 3 weeks maybe too near IM Switz
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.