IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

221 to 240 of 369 messages
05/08/2012 at 12:33
EP I never ate on bike I just had Gel on each lap, also had one bottle made up and spare holder on bike which on 2nd lap of bike I put there bottle in at feed station. They had bananas at the feed stations on run so had half banana at each station with water. I'm not sure on FB cause wife now wants to go away in motorhome that weekend. If you want to get out on long bike give me a shout, if I'm free I'll be more than happy to come out with you again.
05/08/2012 at 19:43

Consistent consistency is the key Pixie - but the odd big week is no bad thing, (you won't be 'over trained' in a week) as long as it doesn't mean you lose the next week, boom and bust training isn't good. No reason for you to not be back to it today though - unless you think you're ill?

Do you check your RHR? I use that to determine whether I'm tired (fact of life whilst training fo rthe full distance) or on the edge of ill - in which case a day off is in order. The middle ground - feeling really tired and rough but RHR fine is an easy session (as in no more than Z2 HR).

Can't help with water bottles at Full Boar as am pretty much self sufficient on the bike for a HIM. Can you fit a second bottle cage? You don't need two hands to eat on the bike - gels use teeth and one hand, an open packet of shot bloks in your bento box or back pocket just need one hand to squeeze them out, you can pre open Nakd bars etc and eat with one hand too. Just takes a little forethought and you probably don't need as much as you think anyway.

IronCat5    pirate
05/08/2012 at 21:24

What she said. I learnt on my first HIM that winter gloves and closed bars don't work. For the full I had opened and cut my bars ready for the eating.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/08/2012 at 09:33

thanks guys. Never had much success ripping gel tops off with teeth so will trial the munches aproach

7m run again today, slightly slower but same HR and much more undulating course  shame about the 2 blisters gained  need new running socks me finks so I'll have to go wiggle

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2012 at 16:24

being much more sensible this week

7m run on Monday, rest yesterday (well it was the Boys gold medal winning triathlon!) and 15m on the bike today focusing on gear changes etc. so just local. Realised why my right foot gets numb after a bit and why I get oil on my right calf ... cleat is in totally the wrong place meaning I'm leaning my foot out hence the numbness

Aim for tomorrow is bike to Bosworth and do some OW

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/08/2012 at 21:02

cake i will be last at the full boar! So save me one!!

I do have a bento box ( has ironman on the side) and it currently holds my "damn I have a puncture now what" kit so I need to do some organising 1st! I normally go for fingers crossed with the punctures but now I am doing more I guessed I should take something. Most of my rides are circles so I'm never more than 2-3m from home!

09/08/2012 at 06:47

Saddle bag for puncture kit, bento box for stuff you  need to have immediately accessible - inhaler, food, etc. Sorted.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/08/2012 at 08:52

yes must sort myself out  sorry!

09/08/2012 at 09:14

Nothing to apologise for - just no need to stress the small stuff

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/08/2012 at 09:30

me? stress? no way! I'd never do that! Ask Fraggle she'll confirm I am as cool as a cucumber!!

*eck what else have I forgotten?*

Beautiful day today so bike to from OW it is. Will be wettie swim so using old 5gears hybrid bike so I can strap wet wettie to the rack on the back!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/08/2012 at 16:37

haven't had an e-mails saying water is too warm for wettie so taking it anyway and see what happens.

I need to do a wettie swim as FB will be a wettie swim (no way it will be over 24 at 9am) and I need the practice!!

09/08/2012 at 16:46
Too hot to put wettie on, couple of beers and BBQ me thinks
The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/08/2012 at 09:28

SO right ST .... because I was hoping for a wettie swim I bagged it up and used my old heavy, 5gears only hybrid to get to MB.

On arriving someone said the water was 22 so game on me finks. I'm half way through getting into my wettie and some chap stops me. 24.5 grrrr

So anyway off I went and I settled a lot quicker. Again to start with my breathing was hard and I was struggling despite breathing every stroke. Then I remembered Joe Friel saying that the "can breath" is actually too much oxygen as you're not completly exhaling the air. So I focused really hard to going longer between breathes and within a few minutes I was swimming fine.

The sun was a pain in the butt getting in the way a lot and the weed was aweful but I kept going. Last time I did 2 large laps but stopped after 1 for a break. Last night I did 2 large laps and 1 small lap non stop

The bike over hadn't been much slower than on the road bike as expected ... it was quicker! The ride home was the same time as on the road bike.

Combine these 2 things and I may just be getting fitter!!  All I need to do now is keep this up for 11+ mths and lose some lard!  Easy!!

IronCat5    pirate
10/08/2012 at 10:02

Good effort EP! I hate swimming without a wettie.

Surely you can wear your wettie if you want? It's not a race so ITU rules don't apply. Our lake has people without wetsuits in temperatures that ITU would require one.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/08/2012 at 11:44

the OW swim is organised by the Tri club who stick up a big sign saying BTF rules say no wettie!

So I have next Thursday 100%, and possibly 2 more (more likely 1) before the big day.
I'm now happy about the swim, I'm too stubborn not to finish the run so my only concern is 4 x 13m laps ... will my legs and or arse stand up to it?!? Tempted to buy a new more padded seat!!

10/08/2012 at 12:09

In my experience a more padded seat means more discomfort. Whilst it's counter intuitive a swap to a more razor blade like seat increased my comfort level - but the bottom line is that you have to TTFU and get used to it.

When I first started riding it was painful after 30 minutes now I'm not too uncomfortable in tri shorts for up to 4 hours, after that I think it hurts whatever you wear! My LBS had bike seats you could buy but return within three months for a full refund if they didn't suit you - might be worth enquiring about? The other tip that helped me was to lower the nose of my saddle very slightly - though that does depend on where you experience the discomfort.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/08/2012 at 12:44

thx

iron fraggle    pirate
10/08/2012 at 13:11
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

me? stress? no way! I'd never do that! Ask Fraggle she'll confirm I am as cool as a cucumber!!

*eck what else have I forgotten?*

Beautiful day today so bike to from OW it is. Will be wettie swim so using old 5gears hybrid bike so I can strap wet wettie to the rack on the back!

oh, yes, Pixie is an oasis of calm...     

Edited: 10/08/2012 at 13:12
The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/08/2012 at 15:27

see told you so! Thanks fraggle

Just been to the pool with son - 30mins and I didn't actually manage to complete a single whole length. Has nobody heard of the idea of actually swimming at the swimming pool?? FFS (and that was son't comment not mine!)

The Evil Pixie    pirate
15/08/2012 at 19:05

phew home - have been at mum's for a few days and it was a nightmare.

Friday night I hardly slept so was exhausted Saturday and opted to chill. Sunday I drove the 125m (about 2.5hrs) home but that afternoon/evening my left foot started to really hurt. It hurt each time my foot flexed until this morning - I hope it was just the drive down was easy so I hardly moved that foot rather than it being injured. The drive home was longer and aweful thanks to the weather but foot's been OK (crosses fingers)

Plan tomorrow is either (probably) do a long bike ride (possibly go to MB in the afternoon and do 2 laps of the the tri course (ST?) then home) or a swim OW. Probably leave swim for saturday morning however as that will ensure it's a wettie swim so I get the practice!

Back to school Monday

221 to 240 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.