IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

241 to 260 of 369 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/08/2012 at 10:00

BTW bike related Q .... I currently only have SPDs will these be OK or do I need to invest in "proper" clippy shoes and peddles? Also what about areo bars will I need these for comfort etc?

iron fraggle    pirate
16/08/2012 at 10:12

I have spd's Pix, as i found with Looks that when i clipped in and out i could feel it in my back post-op. I would think yours should be ok for now - as long as they're comfortable on long rides and you're used to them, then don't change them for the sake of it for your HIM. It might be that as you do longer distances you get numbness, etc, and need to swap to other types or cleat system.

Aero bars? I can't get down into an aero position on my bike so don't have any, but i'm sure someone else can advise you on that one

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/08/2012 at 10:26

thanks Fraggle - I'd rather not pay out on more kit if possible!! I did a full day of VERY slow biking at L2B using the SPDs so I'm sure they will be ok for Outlaw ..?

I don't use my drops too often as it scares me not being able to fully see the road ahead!! If it will make a difference however I will work on this over winter and get some for my birthday in april? Views apprecated!

16/08/2012 at 11:48

PIx - you don't need to swap the SPDs for road versions if you don't feel a need to.  I know a few IM who use their MTB shoes for them to save the faff of having different systems on road and MTB bikes.   the upside of road shoes and cleats is that they are stiffer so you can put more power through the cranks - MTB shoes are designed softer for walking on.

as for aero bars - your call really.  they're not essential but most users will say that they will give up to 2mph extra speed for the same effort at normal bikes speeds if set up properly.  2mph over an IM distance can equate to about 30mins in time saving!  and that's for not a lot of investment really. they can take a little getting used to if you're not a confident rider but most people, once they've got used to them, will say they are beneficial.   but good setup is important - a poor setup will gain nothing.   you will also need to get used to them over a period of time as  being in an aero position can be uncomfy on the arms, neck, back and shoulders - but again, in time, you adapt to this.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/08/2012 at 11:58

2mph? Wow that is a lot! I think a trip to the LBS will be called for next year as I will need as much time saving as I can get!

Glad the MTB shoes will be OK!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/08/2012 at 13:18

Just watched the outlaw on TV and almost cried. It just looked so hard but so awesome

16/08/2012 at 14:22

I said "up to" - the amount depends on many factors.  but there will be some gain without doubt

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/08/2012 at 14:27

Oh I understand FB but as I said and gain is essential as I will be using my full 17hrs and seeing as I will be expected in school by 8am the next day I'd rather not be finishing at 11pm!!

16/08/2012 at 15:38

Glad you clarified that FB as I doubt I gain 2mph with my aero bars but they definitely help when cycling in to a head wind and I tend to think of it as 'using the bars for a rest) as once the set up is right it's a very comfortable position - or at least that's what I found.

IronCat5    pirate
16/08/2012 at 21:33

I've just been out for a blast on my TT bike, and reminded myself of the benefits of a well fitting bike, and aerobars. Get the on the bike!

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

Oh I understand FB but as I said and gain is essential as I will be using my full 17hrs and seeing as I will be expected in school by 8am the next day I'd rather not be finishing at 11pm!!

I hope you're local!

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

the OW swim is organised by the Tri club who stick up a big sign saying BTF rules say no wettie!

This intrigued me, so I looked it up. Para 9.6 (Technical rules for swimming) applies.......to races only! I'm sure FB can clarify. Mind you, I'd love to try some OW swimming without a wettie.

iron fraggle    pirate
16/08/2012 at 21:53

go to our local lake then Cat - there were people swimming 'naked' there last week

IronCat5    pirate
16/08/2012 at 22:00

I'm not sure I would want to expose my body to the lake beasties

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/08/2012 at 22:42

IronCat I live about 45 mins from the Outlaw and 35 mins from home to work - work is Derby I wonder if I can just go straight to school and sleep there!!

naked OW swimming isn't bad at all (sneaky folks that club but hey I guess it gets us used to naked swimming if needed) but my HIM will be wettie as it won't be 24+ at 9am so I need the pratice. So I missed tonights session and will go saturday morning (7AM) to ensure it's a wettie swim!!

17/08/2012 at 09:28

BTF rules do indeed only apply to races but I suspect the tri club are being cautious as the danger of swimming in a wetsuit when the water is over 24C is dehydration and overheating, both of which can lead to complications when swimming and can be dangerous.   it's also a good way of getting people used to non-wetsuit swimming for such days when races are in bathwater temps - there's a been a few non-wetsuit IM swims in recent years 'cos the water's been too warm (27C at IMDE in 2006)

"it won't be 24+ at 9am" - don't you believe it!  water temp doesn't drop dramatically overnight in a big body of water with a decent overnight air temp as we have at the mo.  the water temp should be taken on race morning at least 1 hr before race start and that will define whether it's wetuit or not.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/08/2012 at 09:47

FB are you serious? OMG! Actually I'd be happier naked but OMG

17/08/2012 at 09:53

yep - non-wetsuit swims do happen in races but rarely in the UK - Dorney had a couple in recent years as the rowing lake was too warm. IM Austria this year was non wetuit as well.  

and some races in warmer climes are always non-wetsuit.  so if you make Kona, be prepared for a non-wetsuit swim....

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/08/2012 at 10:09

Kona LMAO! so not gonna happen!

Market Bosworth should be OK for a wettie swim then!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/08/2012 at 23:11

*snigger*

Right tomorrow it's a 7AM swim - no really it is.

Hopefully I will then do a 10K run on the FB course straight after - well that's the plan

Sunday - bike

This week has been a nightmare - bad foot then bad belly grrr

Last few days of summer holiday - so far 21hrs of training done whilst on holiday but I can't see this being the norm!

Rio has instructed short and slow for the next 2 weeks (next 2 weeks starts Monday right?!) ready for FB on the 2nd

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/08/2012 at 09:57

crap crap crap crappity crap

worse swim

took my time getting into wettie so it was on properly, took time getting used to water, felt fine but I couldn't breath and the more I tried to relax and breath the worse it got.

Couldn't get out of my wettie either and could have cried

so upset and worried now

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/08/2012 at 11:44

OK any ideas as to why when I'm in my wetsuit I hold my breath? I'm fine without it.

I thought that the breathing thing was not being used to OW and after the last 2 fab 'naked' swims I was sure today would be fine but exactly the same as before. I go to put my face in the water and don't breath

will try a nose clip and see if that helps when I go down after school on thursday - almost hoping for a warm one so I can go naked now

241 to 260 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.