IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

281 to 300 of 369 messages
PSC    pirate
23/08/2012 at 22:11

Pix... a few years ago I got a DVD about open water swimming and how to get wettie off etc.  It was a freebee with one of the tri mag and is worth watching.  I've still got it so if you want to see it PM me your address and I will send it to you.  You can give it back at Outlaw once  you are a swimming Goddess. 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/08/2012 at 22:18

I have a rick kiddle DVD and he says you can take it off in 30secs! I let water in as I got out, pulled my left shoulder off then as I "whipped off my right arm" it came to an abrupt halt! Meaning I was then half stuck!

I spent a lot of the weekend watching You Tube vids about wet suits and OW swimming too!

Today was easier than last week so hopefully saturday will be easier again otherwise I may have to take you up on that very kind offer!!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
25/08/2012 at 11:05

Woo Hoo managed to get my wetsuit off in under 20mins!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/08/2012 at 10:44

D-Day -5 and in true Pirate style I decided to change things yesterday. Bike seat now has spares bag on ut (as it should!!) and bento box is ready for grub (as yet untested but hey I have 4hrs on Sunday to test that!! )

Oh and I moved my seat back a bit partly so I could get the seat bag on and partly in a hope to make my 4hrs in the saddle easier.

Now what to wear. Do I just wear my tri shorts - after all my arse will hurt either way! Or do I go for bike shorts over tri shorts for added padding to hopefully make ride more comfy ... but this could cause sliding and possible chaffage from layers? ARRRRgggghhhhhh

Race brief notes have been posted and I only get 5mins water warm up time - then you have to get out. But I wanted longer to help prevent the panic non-breathing thing.

Oh god really worried now. Trying to see this as hard core IM mental training after all I'm undertrained so will only finish if my head says so

Will do a short ride today, swim (pool) wednesday and pre-work run Thurs (son gets some GCSE results Thurs) and maybe a very short ride saturday morning.

wibble

27/08/2012 at 13:03
Pixie when you get in you will be 100+ meters away from start so you can warm up swim to start. Water temp dropping by the day should be a nice toastie 13 deg enjoy
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/08/2012 at 13:57

cheers ST I appreciate the encouragement!
Was cool on thursday but today's weather on the whole is cold so now reconsidering my pirate top idea as this is "tank top" style. May have to consider my arm warmers or indeed long sleeved top (yellow of course as yellow is faster)

worried about water as I only use a 500ml bottle and the ones on course are 750ml so may take my camelbak?

27/08/2012 at 15:39
You can put your own on feed station EP if your worried about bottles not fitting.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/08/2012 at 16:07

oh never thought about that ST I just think elites with special food!!

I may have to do that

ta muchly

27/08/2012 at 16:51

Will a 750ml bottle not fit in your bottle cage Pixie?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/08/2012 at 16:53

I've never had success getting the bottles in and out whilst riding although I know others are OK so it's just me

The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/08/2012 at 22:43

Rio has suggested just using my camelbak this time as I shant have time to practice much and a tired pixie may have bottle failure and stress (stress comment added by me!!)

nervous/scarey/excited all at the same time now. Trying to just think about this as mental training for the IM as I'm not really fit enough so it's a HTFU and JFDI exercise!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/08/2012 at 06:55

thanks Cake

is it OK to start getting really worried now or do I have to save that until tomorrow?

30/08/2012 at 08:19

Remember the worry is just your adrenaline preparing you for fight or flight so use it to fly round the course 

Stress and worry are not bad things providing you turn them to your advantage

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/08/2012 at 12:54

30/08/2012 at 17:19
Eye of the Tiger
The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/08/2012 at 11:16

eck

wibble

help

31/08/2012 at 12:38

OK Pixie

Now listen very carefully I shall say this only once (please imagine bad French accent  )

You will do just great and you will be just fine - I have complete faith in you

I shall be sending you positive vibes whilst I'm doing various race duties on Sunday (it is sunday isn't it otherwise they'll be wasted vibes  ) and look forward to reading about what a blast you had  

I shall wish you loads of good luck now (although you don't need it) as computers at home are a bit dodgy as we are in the middle of some internal building stuff and I can barely find a clean pair of knickknacks let along a working computer 

Enjoy

The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/08/2012 at 13:08

sorry!
Thanks!

*runs off in search of more cake err carbs*

The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/09/2012 at 15:37

short bike ride this morning and I'm pleased to report that I can use a 750ml bottle on my bike and it's err easier actually than the 500ml even if there is less space!

had half a nak'd bar and a slice of malt loaf during my 40mins ride too! so pleased to report I can eat and bike at the same time

also tried bike shorts with tri shorts and didn't notice any issues so happy there too (obviously I will take more than 40mins to do the 52m!!)

Oh and Tesco had some SIS with £2 off and a 09/13 use by date so I bought 2 so I'll HAVE to do the IM now otherwise I will have all this sports drink and it needs using!!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/09/2012 at 06:35

morning all

Well I survived despite having some issues. It was slower than I had wanted at 8.12 but given the issues I had I'm pleased.

Cake saved me in the swim as he was with me the whole way. Lap one I was struggling to breath convinced my wettie was trying to strangle me and generally fed up, then when I did finally get going at about 3/4 of lap 1 I went giddy! Lap 2 was a tonne better but I got cramp in both calves as I was approaching over taking someone having taken about 25m off them down one side of the lake. grrr So I was hauled out about 5 secs after them

Bike started cool, wee stop lap 1, nose bleed stop (and uphill walk) lap 2, shorts adjustment lap 3 plus stuck behind a tractor in MB tears lap 4 at finishing.

Run calves screamed for 25mins, bitch of a run, but didn't really suffer properly until about 2m to go when I realised my legs were distroyed and I couldn't even potter down the hills.

Fab race, got wine, buff and big pink money box for being last lady and the last run marshal made me run in then bought me ice-cream

Didn't sleep too well as each move hurt!

This morning I ache but less than expected so tomorow will be horrid I expect. I'm also not thinking never again!!

281 to 300 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.