IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

301 to 320 of 369 messages
03/09/2012 at 07:17

Hey that's fantastic EP - a lot of demons put to bed there from the sounds of it

And hurting after a race is a badge of honour and I always think it's a nice hurting

Well done!!

iron fraggle    pirate
03/09/2012 at 09:39
Well done pix, you should be very proud of yourself mate
03/09/2012 at 09:45

you've come a long way Pix - chapeau!  onwards to Outlaw

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/09/2012 at 22:14

Podds I am hurting tonight! Today wasn't bad as I was teaching all day so walking about, even the stairs were OK. But tonight my calf (the right one that 1st cramped in the swim) is hurting like made, tender to touch and bloody annoying!

FB and to think I was NEVER going to do a tri!

Still grinning a LOT tonight even with painful legs

03/09/2012 at 22:40

That's for the grinning not the hurting by the way!!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/09/2012 at 22:52

tee hee

The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/09/2012 at 06:55

forgot to ask folks (been too busy smiling since Sunday) ... on the bike the top of my neck/back got sore, it hurt to bend down and check behind me etc.

I'm assuming this is just crap positioning and 4hs solid riding which I'm not used too.

Problem is that I've had a numbness area there since which makes me think I need to work something out.

Is it just lack of training and it will improve, or posture, muscle strength?

I'm assuming I hold my head up and that this is stiffness caused by the angle of head lift. I would like to get areo bars at some point, would this make it worse?

Lots of bike numpty Qs I'm sorry!!

purpletrilady    pirate
05/09/2012 at 11:37

Great race report, an excellant acheivement 

Sorry I cannot answer re your neck problems but I suspect you may benefit from a bike fit.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/09/2012 at 06:12

Yeah I think I may need to speak again to my LBS but I'm hoping it's just lack of practice as I was very undertrained.

I've been so tired this week. Head wants to exercise but I am exhausted. Can't get up in the morning and fall asleep on the sofa after tea!

Calf and legs better which is good and once I am at school I'm OK but before school and driving to/from school then night I'm half asleep.

Mind you I did do over 10hrs exercise last week 8 of which in one go!!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/09/2012 at 06:42

shattered mate!  Neck seems ok now but it did take time to settle

I guess having come from a horse riding background iI'm used to sitting upright and head up hence the neck ache

I also have a fear of hitting things on the road and coming off so stare as far ahead as I can

07/09/2012 at 07:22

EP - I'm only just getting rid of a numb spot on my left upper back following Outlaw which is now over 2 months ago  Doesn't usually bother me other than if I scratch it I can feel the sensation of pressing but not the "scratch" sensation.......which is wierd but not the end of the world

In training I suffered tremendously with pain in the upper arms and lower neck but never the area where I've now got numbness - go figure

It has been suggested to me that along with a bike fit (but going to London appears to be my nearest option so it hasn't happened!!) it would benefit me to improve my core strength and hence take some of the pressure of the neck / upper back and arms / shoulder areas a bit 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/09/2012 at 11:00

that's nice to know Podds actually as I was a little worried it was me!!

I did wonder if it was a core strength thing and maybe upper body (I have very poor upper body strength and my core probably isn't much better!)

Not done anything all week I think that I've been more tired than post mara because I'm teaching and therefore on my feet most of the day, having said that I feel better than post mara (well apart from the early calf issue)

Going to go out with son on his bike later (ie v slow and short) to start getting back into training.

Calf guards have been purchased - pink as yellow is pre-order only but once they are in I'll have to get yellow because we all know yellow is faster!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/09/2012 at 17:32

10k on the old bike with son today, really steady and legs were fine. shame he stopped suddenly meaning an abrupt stop/dismount for me as I'm now sporting a purple knee from smaking the peddle!

Tomorrow I'm getting back to pre-work runs

The Evil Pixie    pirate
11/09/2012 at 19:42

Hmmm it seems that my HIM has spread at school as I've had a few teachers go "hey that was cool, so full next year? Respect!" I've muttered yes and July to the IM question so that's another reason I have to do it!
Also spoke to resident bike dude who said that my neck pain could just be I'm not used to the road bike. Simple as that. So I'm going back to shorter rides and then increasing time slowly in a sensible sort of way!! Is 15mins extra each couple of weeks OK? too slow too fast? I'm wanting long term results for IM so don't mind a slower approach.

Also plan to go to LBS soon and sort some areo bars so I can get used to these on the turbo before I brave outside!!

11/09/2012 at 20:34

EP - you can afford to build time on the bike quite quickly especially if you're only riding long once a week and will therefore have lots of recovery time. What was the longest ride you managed before the HIM that didn't leave you aching for days - 35 miles? - if so start from there and build. Using the aero bars shouldn't be an issue for an ex horse rider, it's much easier than riding in the half seat though good core strength helps.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
11/09/2012 at 21:17

cool LMH

I never ached on my 1hr rides and the 35m was broke up so was OK

more worryingly I've had the Outlaw is open mail!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
11/09/2012 at 21:32

OMG OMG OMG This is terrifying.

I've filled out the form but just can't press proceed to pay!

12/09/2012 at 12:48

*taps fingers impatiently*

Well???? Have you??????

The Evil Pixie    pirate
12/09/2012 at 13:38

yep and I've felt ill ever since

what have I done?

Not told hubby yet mind!!

IronCat5    pirate
12/09/2012 at 14:15
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

yep and I've felt ill ever since

what have I done?

Not told hubby yet mind!!

You wait unti you receive the briefing pack 2 months out, or you see pictures from 2012 nearer your race date.

You'll really want to puke . Oh, and the first real sight of the lake the day before....wow.....

301 to 320 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.