12/09/2012 at 14:52

Well done Evil Pixie.

Have you a plan to tell hubby?

purpletrilady    pirate
12/09/2012 at 19:22

I only told mine after I entered 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
12/09/2012 at 19:41

Told son he said "you're an idiot" and I wrote the date in husband's diary! That counts as telling him doesn't it?!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
12/09/2012 at 20:20

as if I did't spend enough last night I've just hit amazon

book on swimming and cycling and IM weight management! I need to lose it not gain it and I gain when marathon training due to the "have trained loads can eat" head so can't afford that!!

Trogs    pirate
12/09/2012 at 21:07

Pix, just a thought on your neck/shoulder issue post HIM, are you fairly relaxed on the bike or hanging on for grim death? If the latter you may need just to relax a bit.

Core and upper body work wouldn't go amiss though.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
12/09/2012 at 21:09

probably the grim death bit!! As I said to Rio I'm cool on my old hybrid but the road bike is tiny and thin and fast and confusing with all those gears and ...

hmm probably is tension!!

still I'm got err 42 weeks to fix it!!

13/09/2012 at 13:37
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

book on  IM weight management! I need to lose it not gain it and I gain when marathon training due to the "have trained loads can eat" head so can't afford that!!

If it's any consolation when I did Outlaw having failed miserably to lose weight again (long story of all my adult life and a silly head I'm afraid) I was at a BMI of around 27 / 28 and the last time I had my body fat measured (in a scientific fat pod i.e. bodpod by sports sci PhD pal) it was mahoosive - I'm too embarrased to say what I'm afraid.....

And I still got round and whilst it's safe to say that the majority of others were whippets, there were some others who like me are somewhat more generously proportioned

I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes it's much easier to do if you are carrying less flab around but don't fixate on it to the be all and end all

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/09/2012 at 17:23

thanks!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
21/09/2012 at 19:06

stupid Amazon - still not got my books but at least they are now dispatched grrrr

Pirate tri shorts ordered

Motivation increased now .... I'm going to try to get some money for Macmillen (my place so no target) as I lost my grandma to cancer, dad had his kidney removed in Jan because of cancer and then yesterday we got told one of the department was under the knife today (breast cancer) so I'm even more determined to make the start line.

Was in LBS today and they are going to sort me out with tri bars and were really encouraging. They even suggested my next bike as I won't do just one! How nice!! I told them I was only doing 1 and they laughed!! (in that knowing way)

Iron Muffin    pirate
21/09/2012 at 19:54

+1 with Podds. I lost weight training for Outlaw (1 1/2 stone) and not as much as I had thought  Plodded round still a good couple of stones overweight.

EP how is it going? I haven't been keeping up very well and apologies for not reading back, what have you entered?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
21/09/2012 at 19:56

yep Outlaw was entered on the 1st night

still not lost any weight yet

The Evil Pixie    pirate
22/09/2012 at 17:08

guys I'm after advice ...between now at 11/12/12 when I start my Finks Just survive plan I'm wanting to increase fitness and have some fun (?)!

on the bike as the plan is on time not distance do I stick to 10% increase per week or per long ride so 60mins one week 66 the next

also going to start trying to get used to the turbo this week with mini sessions starting at 5-10mins as it scares me! then having a run. I assume it will be OK to do these in running shoes rather than changing between bike shoes and running ones and using the cleats?

22/09/2012 at 17:28

You can increase the bike by much more than that - no impact issues like running so not the same limitations.

Not a lot of point getting on the turbo for that length of time - warm ups are usually ten minutes! Of course you'll be fine to do it in your trainers but there's probably more value in using your cycling shoes and having your trainers next to you to change into - more efficient peddling stroke, getting used to unclipping without the danger of falling off and practising a mini transition.

purpletrilady    pirate
22/09/2012 at 17:35

also be careful with Fink's just survive plan. Its very low on cycling time. I think he makes a big assumption about the average speed of cyclists doing the plan.

I did 2 100 miles bike rides before my first IM, the first took over 8.5 hrs. I think fink's max bike ride is about 5 hrs?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/09/2012 at 10:24

LMH I know that TT time is short but at present it scares me! So I need to get confident before I spend a long time on there. I still feel like I'm going to fall off

ptl (is that aceptable?) fink does max at 5hrs, I was wondering if between now and 11th Dec if I should work on distance or speed. So far I'm averaging 13mph (12.94 on my HIM) and I know I need that to complete Outlaw. So do I go for longer slower rides akin to the marathon training time of feet idea (time in seat?) and push from 65m ish to nearer 80 or even a 100 (and have cake/picnic stops)?

I'm hoping that weight loss will increase speed as in 2009 when I did the london tri I was lighter (not hugely lighter) and average 15.2. Logically being a ten tonne tessy would weigh the bike down making it slower!

23/09/2012 at 11:38

Traditional wisdom would have you increasing distance now and speed nearer the time but realistically how long are you going to spend out on the bike as it gets colder and wetter? Coffee and cake stops want to be the exception in a long ride rather than the rule.

FWIW - time in saddle (and keep the effort up - use a HRM if you have one) as long as the weather is ok for you to get outside. TTFU and JFDI on the turbo. If it's set up right there is no reason for you to fall off and if you do it will be a slow speed comedy fall and unlikely to do damage. You can make a lot of gains over the winter doing some quality turbo sessions and if you can find the mental toughness there is no reason not to get long rides in on it when the weather is awful.

purpletrilady    pirate
23/09/2012 at 11:52
Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Traditional wisdom would have you increasing distance now and speed nearer the time but realistically how long are you going to spend out on the bike as it gets colder and wetter? Coffee and cake stops want to be the exception in a long ride rather than the rule.

FWIW - time in saddle (and keep the effort up - use a HRM if you have one) as long as the weather is ok for you to get outside. TTFU and JFDI on the turbo. If it's set up right there is no reason for you to fall off and if you do it will be a slow speed comedy fall and unlikely to do damage. You can make a lot of gains over the winter doing some quality turbo sessions and if you can find the mental toughness there is no reason not to get long rides in on it when the weather is awful.

wise words 

Your turbo needs to be your friend on the winter months. I would fous on short quality sessions for now. You have plenty of time to build up the distance.

The year I did my first IM, I remember riding 42 miles in February and that was my longest ride ever. That year my IM was beginning of August and building up the distance wasn't difficult.

Mr StOat    pirate
23/09/2012 at 15:13

There's also nothing stopping you mixing the Fink plans, you could do 'just get round' base and then 'intermediate' peak, or JGR swim/run and Int bike, to make sure you get the hours in

The Evil Pixie    pirate
23/09/2012 at 15:52

nice idea there Matt - will consult Rio my mentor!

BTW before I foolishly entered Outlaw when back in April when unable to sleep I entered VLM .... if (and we all know it's a big if) I did get in would it be OK to run walk my way through it as a long training run?

I was thinking of just doing it off the normal IM training, with no extra running and no taper apart from swapping runs for bike sessions in the week or so leading up to it and recover with bike and swimming after.

I had also thought about the 5k swimathon which is the week after VLM

IronCat5    pirate
23/09/2012 at 16:09

A few people in the same boat have used VLM as training. Of course, you could defer VLM for a year.

321 to 340 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.