IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

341 to 360 of 369 messages
purpletrilady    pirate
23/09/2012 at 16:33

lots of people have done both, it really depends on your base and your background.

personally I would defer, it will take time away from your cycling and also destroys your legs for at least two weeks.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
24/09/2012 at 06:33

I'm thinking that - do IM this year and go for a PB next year assuming I get in of course!!

Anyways.... 35mins on the TT this morning

Did have to stop start for the 1st 5 getting the resistence on the flywheel (?) right especially when there was a smell of burning! think it may have been too lose in the end tbh but better than nowt

happy pixie

24/09/2012 at 07:39

Just goes to show what you can do when you put your mind to it! Smell of burning is usual if you're using your normal tyre and are in a confined space.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
24/09/2012 at 19:40

this is true LMH and seeing your post has reminded me to change my music for something more upbeat and sing-along-able

should I just ignore the burning smell then?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
24/09/2012 at 19:49

Amazon finally delivered my books today (ordered on the 12th) - total immersion, some cycling book (long distance cycling?) and weight management for ironmen (or some such name)

now all I need to do is read them!! Oh and train

24/09/2012 at 20:27

I would ignore the smell, in fact I think you pretty much stop noticing it after a while - assuming it is just the rubber on your tyre. Don't forget to release the fly wheel when you've finished so that the warm, soft rubber isn't compressed into a flat spot on your tyre.

A good play list is a must for turbo sessions. Are you using a HRM?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
24/09/2012 at 20:32

oh good job you said about the fly wheel I would never have thought of that!

I didn't today but will be using a HRM assuming I am awake enough to remember to put it on tomorrow!!

25/09/2012 at 07:09

I find the HRM is the only way to keep myself honest, it's easy to feel as if you're working hard but a quick check shows that the HR is only in Z1.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
25/09/2012 at 14:48

probably will use it next time

didn't get out this morning as I have a full on head cold thanks to stupid kiddy germs - could hardly swallow this morning and have spent most of the day feeling sick

purpletrilady    pirate
25/09/2012 at 21:48

get well soon

The Evil Pixie    pirate
26/09/2012 at 06:54

morning

head about to explode this morning but have to go to school

anyway turbo question .... I have "small tyres" I know that and Rio has said get a turbo tyre

I've seen them on wiggle but don't know what is "small" and do I put this over my current tyre or remove the current tyre and put this on etc?

ta!

26/09/2012 at 07:09

Hope you feel better soon.

Small wheels or small (as in narrow) tyres? I'm guessing the latter which just means that you have say a 23mm tyre on instead of a 25mm. If a small wheel this would mean a 650 rather than a 700 - but unlikely. Warning here - I actually know very little about bikes.

Turbo tyre is a standard width, you replace your tyre with them but they are stiff and difficult to fit - my LBS did mine - and you have to put your road tyre back on to go outside.

purpletrilady    pirate
26/09/2012 at 07:58

I've never used a turbo tyre, I never had a problem just using my normal road bike tyres.

I think turbo tyres are great if you have a spare bike.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
26/09/2012 at 10:07

actually they are 650s! glad you said that otherwise I would have looked to buy tyres that are too big!

Think a trip to the LBS is due - the turbo may be yawnworthy but I'm a dry weather girl

26/09/2012 at 11:47

PTL - I was the same - just put my bike on the turbo, tyre and all, until I upgraded, new bike goes on the road and old bike has a turbo tyre and is permanently on there now. Having said that the turbo tyre is definitely quieter and harder wearing - leaves less rubber particles up the wall.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
26/09/2012 at 21:17

I have a spare bike .... a 5gear 15yr old hybrid does that count?!

today I think I have a head hugger on. Mate at work can hardly speak so I happily said Oh I can speak I just have a thick head to which she replied yeah that's how mine started last week.

hopefully the old night nurse can fix me

The Evil Pixie    pirate
26/09/2012 at 21:34

oh and wiggle don't have any turbo tyres in 650s so that's that one sorted!!

anyway off to bed nite nite

27/09/2012 at 07:50

Try your LBS or Chain Reaction or Evans. If you really don't think you'll be riding outside much from here on in then I would say it makes sense to stick a turbo tyre on your road bike and use the hybrid if you do want a ride outside - I will ride my mtb out in much worse weather than I will the road bike.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/09/2012 at 19:51

almost feel human now  but will rest tomorrow to be sure

got a lovely new white running jacket today with red trim that matches the grey one I got a few years ago

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/09/2012 at 11:38

thought I was almost clear but now have snots and headache.

FFS - feel drained too

So not happy

341 to 360 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.