IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

41 to 60 of 188 messages
Trogs    pirate
01/08/2011 at 18:03

The only difference that more cycling seemed to make on my running was that I got better at running hills.  Shame I'm still carp at pedalling uphill though

MovingAlong    pirate
02/08/2011 at 11:10
Good to see Iron Fit getting mentioned here - I was looking at buying it yesterday - in particular for the 'get round' plan. Think an Amazon purchase might be coming up.

As an aside just want to say I'm planning on doing Outlaw next year and its amazing that you're asking very similar questions to those I have Pixie - so I'm going to be hanging round this thread picking up as much information as possible!

And FWIW Pixie I had similar thoughts to you about where should I be before embarking on a IM plan and set myself a target of 1 mile swim in OW and a 100k bike ride this year before considering it. Although I did pluck those figures out of thin air!

And Trogs I'm hoping for WinterSwim aswell this year. I was going to do it last year, but then realised I couldn't really swim 100m non-stop let alone the other distances!
02/08/2011 at 11:32

Thanks for that winter swim link! Will definately keep me motivated to get down to the pool once i have completed my swimming lessons! Just need to make sure i pick up a decent stop watch! With cross country league to get stuck into, along with WinterSwim if it kicks off again, ive a lot to keep me going over the winter!

I have alo picked up the Iron Fit book from amazon, along with Going Long and Holgs book too! Cant wait to get back to the UK to read them!

04/08/2011 at 12:46

+1 for Fink. I used it for my first this year and ended up finding the Outlaw race really enjoyable. i'd never done endurance sport before, other than 1 half mara and an Oly tri. Don't follow to the letter unless you have a very flexible lifestyle. But follow the principles and you'll be fine. His swim sessions are mind-numbingly boring though.... i don't think I'm out of order saying that.

The stuff on Coach Gordo's website may be worth looking at. I found it phenomenally reassuring when I got closer to the event. I didn't train to a Gordo plan, but I bet they were mustard. He seems to have a really cool approach.

Don't sweat about what you've not done before. It's not so important. It's about what you do now and in the future. So look forward, start gently and consistently, build gently and consistently, eat gently and consistently, and before you know it you'll be enjoying the lifestyle so much you'll stop worrying about your race. The only thing to fear, is fear itself.

Edited: 04/08/2011 at 12:48
MovingAlong    pirate
04/08/2011 at 14:32
Great post slowerthanilook. Can I just ask how far out you started to actively target Outlaw - was it 12 months out etc... I'm just about to do my 1st Sprint tri, and then looking for what I should be doing after that for the build up to Outlaw.

A 30 week training plan would see me start early December I think - I presume between now and then it would just be getting some kind of consistent and regular training in without going too overboard - with probably particular focus on improving (my awful) swimming technique and getting miles on the bike as a priority (being from a running background, and with a marathon coming up in October).
04/08/2011 at 14:49

Bullseye, mate.

Get your base fitness going as you've outlined above. I started my 30-weeker with a couple of options in mind - IMW and Outlaw. Discretion was the better part of valour; Outlaw is an easier track. i only made the final decision to enter after about week 24 - but I think that's unusual. Enjoy!!

04/08/2011 at 16:30
Is the pain from when your riding on the drop bars???....quite normal, only cure is to do lots of long rides to get the strength in your neck.
04/08/2011 at 17:13
My neck still hurts after 4 hour + rides if they are flat and i've spent alot of that time on the drops.
Trogs    pirate
15/08/2011 at 08:41

Needing a block under the front wheel on the turbo is normal cos the trainer will lift the back wheel off the floor. 

You could surround the bike with cushions/matresses to raise ground level and provide a soft landing if you should happen to fall off

15/08/2011 at 17:34

EP,

telephone directory under front wheel to raise level, or you could splash out and get a:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-skyliner-front-wheel-riser-support/

Some cycling will be better than no cycling (IMO), if only to get you used to weight bearing on hands, saddle and pedals.  You could presumably change up gears to make it harder for yourself when going up hills.

Trogs    pirate
15/08/2011 at 17:45
Got to agree with Ferret   Off roading on a hybrid might even be better cos it's potentially going to be harder work with only 5 gears - also likely to be good for bike handling skills and balance.
meface    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:49

Well get round is interesting.

If you just make the bike cut-off at 10.5hrs then you have 6.5 hours for the run (walk). If you just hit the swim cut-off of 2 hours this leaves you 8hrs for the bike. 112m/8=14mph.

You need to get your bike to the point where you can average 14mph and be in condition to march a marathon.

Have you thought about Challenge Henley which is in September so would put the big weeks in the summer holidays?

Swimming - get on it now at least twice a week before school. If you can't commit to swimming twice a week for a year then maybe you shouldn't commit to IM next year.

M...eldy    pirate
04/07/2012 at 21:58

IMO it might be posible but its not a formular I would like to rely on

Pick an early week in the training schedule whilst you are at work and do it for a month and then evaluate and see how much more time you would have to increase the hours when the plan picks up

IM *is* possible for anyone but there is a caveat and there is no short cut again IMO

Dont start off with what you cant do, start with what you can do

ImRio    pirate
04/07/2012 at 22:03

Pix you can do it.  You will need to do one long bike and a long run a week but your longest run only needs to be 2:30 max.  Lots of time on the bike is key as I said and if you can do at least one brick session a week that will help loads.

I have rarely managed to get an average of 14mph on the bike in training and yet have survived and that includes walk/hobbling the run too

I agree with Meface that swimming at least twice a week is important mainly because you need to get out of the water in a good enough condition to get on the bike and ride.

Start biking now building to 3-4 hour rides if you can over the winter (even if it means turboing).  Message me if you want turbo ideas.  One hard session (hill or interval reps), one cadence session and one long bike.  Much the same for running though they needn't be hard sessions as they take longer to recover from.

Whatever you do, consistency is the most important thing and making a plan and sticking with it will help you get round in the best possible way.  If you want it enough, you will make/find the time to do it.  If you can't commit then give yourself time until you can

meface    pirate
04/07/2012 at 22:15

Pixie,

Many of us work at least that, have young kids and don't get 4-weeks off in the summer.

I have been know to get out at 04:00 bike till 06:45 swim till 8:00 then bike till 10:00, take kid 1 to swimming lesson back by 12:00 and then out with family to bbq. You need to find the times you can fit in. IF I had to do it on one long session a week then bike every week and accept the fact the run will be a walk. However the long run builds up to 2:30 and is therefore shorter before that.

With 4 weeks off in the summer you could use them for the biggest block of training. Or even with a bit either side get two solid blocks in.

There is a splinter group for Challenge Henley next year but main event is IM Lanza.

No sit down and do your lesson plan, oops I mean training plan. Try to schedule it and if it fits go for it.

I convince the missus that there are 4 crap weeks and 4 horrific weeks and each of those has a weeks recovery which are OK. On that basis she can live with it.

M.eface >O<

05/07/2012 at 08:07
You have to really want to do it Pixie, those who fail often fail because they didn't have complete buy in at the start.

Write down WHY you want to do it and a key motivation point to keep going and put it somewhere prominent so you see it regularly. It should help when the going gets tough and fed up of the training.
Ultra AJH    pirate
05/07/2012 at 09:31

If it is true that they are thinking of a half at Outlaw why not target that?

It sounds to me like stuff is full on for you with work and setting yourself up for something which could lead you to hate training.....ie knowing you need to do a 5-6 hr bike but physically not being able to do that and get the work you need to done....could completely demotivate you and lead to a DNS.

Just food for thought. Longer term work and training will become more manageable.

TheEngineer    pirate
05/07/2012 at 11:10

Half an Outlaw? What would you say when you finished? 

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/22945743.jpg

Iron Pingu    pirate
05/07/2012 at 12:02

HI Evil Pixie, I met you at registration *waves*

You can totally do Outlaw but I agree with what Happychap says above.  You have to be committed and really believe you're going to do it.  

iron fraggle    pirate
05/07/2012 at 13:44
And have the support of the family too - I'm training for shorter tri's and it still takes up loads of time. Couldn't do it without mr frag being supportive
41 to 60 of 188 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.