IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

41 to 60 of 369 messages
PSC    pirate
25/01/2011 at 16:09

Hi Pix...........    Good decision to jump onto the IM bandwagon!  And, as you already know, there is more knowledge and support here than you can every usefully use....

I didn't do core work for my first IM, and have done so far  this year preparing for my second - I feel much better this year and everything is improving faster.  This can't be a coincidence. 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
24/07/2011 at 13:45

Having meet loads of pirates yesterday at the Outlaw registration I'm thinking this may very well happen

However after little/no exercise for 9mths 2012 is a no so 2013 it will be - at Outlaw me finks.

So daft question time.

As I will be slow when you finish the swim do you change into long bike kit eg proper cycling shorts and then change into running kit at T2?

There will be others!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
24/07/2011 at 13:53

oh yeah about tri bars

Is it best to get these sooner and train from scratch with them eg over 1yr+ to event date or closer to the event when actually following a training plan?

Plus as a crap swimmer, cyclist and runner is it best to focus on one element at a time to try and improve before starting a training plan (6mths aren't they?) or just work on all 3 at once for the duration?

25/07/2011 at 09:39
it's your call whether you want to change or not - many don't and stay in the same kit all day, but equally many do change. it's all about how quick you want to make your T times and personal comfort.

and train with tri bars as early as possible so you get comfy with them under different conditions. the more comfy you are with using them, the easier the training will be

as for discipline training - work on the weakest discipline 1st to improve that. for most that's the swimming and some 1:1 coaching works wonders on improving technique and the you can develop the swim training. for biking and running it's mostly about getting miles in the legs - the more you do, the easier it is come race day.
Trogs    pirate
25/07/2011 at 11:39

I find tri shorts much more comfortable that bike shorts regardless of distance.  My first IM I went for a complete change of clothes at each tranisition. It had a long (17hr) cut off and I wanted to be as comfy as possible.  For the second I wore the same tri shorts from start to finish but changed tops in T2.

+1 for getting the tri bars as soon as possible but only after you're fairly comfortable with your bike, gear changing, etc.  Feels really unstable the first few times you use them but once you get used to them, they're great.  You may need to adjust the bike set up slightly after you've put them on though.

If swimming is your weakest discipline get started on that soonest.  It's all about technique as FB says, some proper coaching to get the technique right first is easier than doing you're own thing then trying to correct bad habits.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
25/07/2011 at 17:12

thanks guys

Outlaw really inspired me and this is now more than just a thought I want to do it!

Trogs    pirate
25/07/2011 at 18:33

Are you sure you can't do it next year Pix?  With the number of Pirates thinking about doing it (58) it'll be a great party, though the fabled Pirate feed station may be missing as a result.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
25/07/2011 at 22:25

trogs I've had 9mths + off exercise due to teacher training so I'm only just walk running 2-3m at a time now, not been for a swim or on the road bike for 12mths either

But I will be supporting at Outlaw next year for sure.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
26/07/2011 at 22:32
hmmm me finks you may have done a good job at the weekend!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/07/2011 at 21:12

1st ride on road bike in 12mth today

to/from work just under 5m each way

1 sore,swollen and blue elbow and oil covered hands from going up gear instead of down on a hill, panicing, wobbling, messing up so badly chain came off just before I hit the deck attached to bike. Yep forgot I was clipped in too!

Great start to the fitness campaign!

Trogs    pirate
27/07/2011 at 22:24
Ooops!
28/07/2011 at 09:56
nice one Pix - get the injuries in early......

it will get easier!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/07/2011 at 17:13

Plus I bent the gear hood (think that's what it's called!)

Still plenty of time to learn!

28/07/2011 at 17:16
the clamp holding it onto the bar has probably just moved - that's not uncommon in a crash. it's easily fixed by the LBS - 5 minute job
iron fraggle    pirate
28/07/2011 at 17:54
Cake wrote (see
)
Pixie first time I was on a posh bike I broke both pedels. Don't worry about it we have all been there and we have all failed to unclip at some point.

Yes like the time today No2 son stopped suddeny in front of me - luckily we were going over a bridge and I had something to grab on to!   Going cycling with a not very road savvy 10 yr old is very handy for practising slow speed manouvering
The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/07/2011 at 22:11

My LBS has seen me about 6 times since we moved 8 yrs ago .... about 4 of those times has been in the last 10 days. Not sure I dare go back and say I feel off can you fix me bike! They are lovely though.

I'll have to go back sometime to get tri bars as I'd rather get them to sort me than use wiggle just 'cos it's nice to be able to speak to someone for advice etc.

Fraggle I dare not take Gnome out on the roads yet and I never cycle next to him as it's far too dangerous! Especially as when he gets tired he wobbles even more!

MovingAlong    pirate
29/07/2011 at 08:58
The only time I've fallen off when clipped in (touches wood it doesn't happen again!) I couldn't get my feet free of the pedals whilst lying on the floor.

Looked up and the only person I could see was a big burly bloke carrying a golf club. Lets just say he didn't look like your typical golfer. 'Errrr.... excuse us mate, could you help us out here?'.

Turned out to be quite a nice bloke - I didn't ask about the golf club though!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/07/2011 at 22:14

I've fallen off a few times now, including twice on the L2B into a ivy covered wall which meant I just floated to the floor in a comical way laughing! That was also the least painful time!

Actually most of my falls have involved roads having been re-surfaced ... must check routes before I ride then!!

Have worked out the cut off times and to get to 17 hrs is going to be tight so I need a HUGE fitness drive for this one!

Also Outlaw 2012 is 1st July I hope 2013 is later 'cos I'm a teacher now and can't take a day off during term and don't think I could finish an IM distance tri at 11pm and be awake and in the classroom for 8 the next day!

so potentially what other, nice (flat?!) I distance UK based tris are there ideally in the school hols?!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/07/2011 at 14:36

Found myself a local middle distance for September next year (middle is half IM isn't it?) it's at the water park in Market Bosworth.

Did a "almost" Olympic there a couple of years ago so know the lake

Trogs    pirate
30/07/2011 at 19:12

I think it's only been moved forward next year to avoid a clash with the olympics so a good chance it'll be back in its 'normal' time slot of late July for 2013.

Yes, middle distance is another name for half iron, in this country at least - usually 1900m swim, 56mile bike, 13.1mile run though distances can vary somewhat.

41 to 60 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.