IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

61 to 80 of 369 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
31/07/2011 at 13:24

Hope you're right about the dates - would make sense.

Ran today for the 1st time in 2 weeks and already a friend is lining me up for a half mara this year.

Just need to get my head back into exercise mode after 9mths of dossing - that could be harder than training!

BTW what distances should you be at before considering an IM training plan?

should I, for example, be able to swim over a mile, bike 50m etc or is it like a mara where it's "from a good fitness base anyone can train in 6mths"?

Trogs    pirate
31/07/2011 at 19:30

Getting back into a training routine is definitely the hardest bit.

My 30wk IM training plan starts in a week ().  It's a 'get you round' programme and the first few weeks look ridiculously easy but are designed to get you into regular training routines. Most of the first 5 weeks are 30min - 1hr run and bike sessions with 1600m swim sessions (mix of drills and reps).

Basically, if you've got a reasonable level of base fitness and a positive mindset you'll be fine.  Though there are those - not generally found on this forum - who'll say you shouldn't even consider doing IM till you've spent at least a year at each of the shorter distances.  No sense of adventure

The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/08/2011 at 13:19

now that just sounds daft! Definately not Pirate talk!

Which plan are you following?

I guess I should consider getting in the pool again too

Career changes do mess things up sometimes!

Trogs    pirate
01/08/2011 at 13:36

From Don Fink's book 'Be Iron Fit' - the just finish programme though I might try doing the bike sessions from the intermediate programme cos that's where I want to improve most. 

Hopefully WinterSwim will run again this year.  Found it really good motivation for getting down to the pool on a regular basis last winter.  I think it usually starts up in October.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/08/2011 at 14:40
oh I've got that book! Fab!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/08/2011 at 14:50

out of interest ....

I haven't run for 2 wks (only on a walk run plan anyway just now) but did bike to work a few times. When I ran yesterday I felt a lot stronger.

Is it more likely that the biking (only 4-5 times) had improved my fitness more or that it was the break from running?

I'm wondering if it might be worth getting back into cycling 1st then adding the running in?

Ironholgs    pirate
01/08/2011 at 15:49

I'm guessing that your legs might have felt "re-freshed" from the running break but it's probably a combination of the two, the cycling will also build fitness.

If you know you can run, I'd concentrateon the cycling, it's always the longest part of the triathlon. Crack the cycling and you've cracked the race. The key is being good enough to get off the bike with fresh enough legs to run/walk the marathon.

IMHO

Trogs    pirate
01/08/2011 at 18:03

The only difference that more cycling seemed to make on my running was that I got better at running hills.  Shame I'm still carp at pedalling uphill though

The Evil Pixie    pirate
01/08/2011 at 19:46

holgs I can run as in I'm a slow determined runner with 4 marathons under my belt but limited cycling experience.

I hate hills with a passion so if trogs said cycling helped with hills maybe  should cycle more!!

MovingAlong    pirate
02/08/2011 at 11:10
Good to see Iron Fit getting mentioned here - I was looking at buying it yesterday - in particular for the 'get round' plan. Think an Amazon purchase might be coming up.

As an aside just want to say I'm planning on doing Outlaw next year and its amazing that you're asking very similar questions to those I have Pixie - so I'm going to be hanging round this thread picking up as much information as possible!

And FWIW Pixie I had similar thoughts to you about where should I be before embarking on a IM plan and set myself a target of 1 mile swim in OW and a 100k bike ride this year before considering it. Although I did pluck those figures out of thin air!

And Trogs I'm hoping for WinterSwim aswell this year. I was going to do it last year, but then realised I couldn't really swim 100m non-stop let alone the other distances!
02/08/2011 at 11:32

Thanks for that winter swim link! Will definately keep me motivated to get down to the pool once i have completed my swimming lessons! Just need to make sure i pick up a decent stop watch! With cross country league to get stuck into, along with WinterSwim if it kicks off again, ive a lot to keep me going over the winter!

I have alo picked up the Iron Fit book from amazon, along with Going Long and Holgs book too! Cant wait to get back to the UK to read them!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
02/08/2011 at 17:16

don't get Holg's Book!

It's HIS fault I'm here!

So I can just about bike 6m without dying now, and run walk 3m and not been in the pool for a year

This means I have looked for and found an end of season sprint tri!

Best get in the pool then

I'm aiming to do an olympic (ish) and middle distance next year MA .... I say ish 'cos it's a local one and not quiet Oly!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/08/2011 at 11:59

Out of interest can anyone explain why I sometimes slip forward in my seat on my bike?

Is it the seat is at the wrong height? Too far forward? Or just me being crap with bad positioning?

04/08/2011 at 12:46

+1 for Fink. I used it for my first this year and ended up finding the Outlaw race really enjoyable. i'd never done endurance sport before, other than 1 half mara and an Oly tri. Don't follow to the letter unless you have a very flexible lifestyle. But follow the principles and you'll be fine. His swim sessions are mind-numbingly boring though.... i don't think I'm out of order saying that.

The stuff on Coach Gordo's website may be worth looking at. I found it phenomenally reassuring when I got closer to the event. I didn't train to a Gordo plan, but I bet they were mustard. He seems to have a really cool approach.

Don't sweat about what you've not done before. It's not so important. It's about what you do now and in the future. So look forward, start gently and consistently, build gently and consistently, eat gently and consistently, and before you know it you'll be enjoying the lifestyle so much you'll stop worrying about your race. The only thing to fear, is fear itself.

Edited: 04/08/2011 at 12:48
MovingAlong    pirate
04/08/2011 at 14:32
Great post slowerthanilook. Can I just ask how far out you started to actively target Outlaw - was it 12 months out etc... I'm just about to do my 1st Sprint tri, and then looking for what I should be doing after that for the build up to Outlaw.

A 30 week training plan would see me start early December I think - I presume between now and then it would just be getting some kind of consistent and regular training in without going too overboard - with probably particular focus on improving (my awful) swimming technique and getting miles on the bike as a priority (being from a running background, and with a marathon coming up in October).
04/08/2011 at 14:49

Bullseye, mate.

Get your base fitness going as you've outlined above. I started my 30-weeker with a couple of options in mind - IMW and Outlaw. Discretion was the better part of valour; Outlaw is an easier track. i only made the final decision to enter after about week 24 - but I think that's unusual. Enjoy!!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/08/2011 at 16:27

" have you had yourself measures for a bike to see if it's the right height and stuff?"

err no!

Also when I've biked long before I've got tension at the base of my neck - I assume this is poor muscle strength? or posture of something. Any suggestions?

04/08/2011 at 16:30
Is the pain from when your riding on the drop bars???....quite normal, only cure is to do lots of long rides to get the strength in your neck.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
04/08/2011 at 16:59
I did wonder if that was the issue! Thanks at least I know I'm err normal??!?!!
04/08/2011 at 17:13
My neck still hurts after 4 hour + rides if they are flat and i've spent alot of that time on the drops.
61 to 80 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.