IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

101 to 120 of 369 messages
Iron Pingu    pirate
05/07/2012 at 12:02

HI Evil Pixie, I met you at registration *waves*

You can totally do Outlaw but I agree with what Happychap says above.  You have to be committed and really believe you're going to do it.  

iron fraggle    pirate
05/07/2012 at 13:44
And have the support of the family too - I'm training for shorter tri's and it still takes up loads of time. Couldn't do it without mr frag being supportive
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/07/2012 at 19:36

Oh I like the idea of an Outlaw half ... wonder what you call half an outlaw?

*waves back at Pingu*

I really want to do an IM, Ideally it was next year to celebrate being 40 but if that doesn't happen fine.

Where would I need to be in Dec to says yes I can do this?

Or should I say when will entries close?!!

I guess I assumed the longest run would be like in marafun training and 20m (just over 4hrs for me) so 2.30 is much nicer!

what about for a half ... what distances should I look at for that?

*all excited again*

iron fraggle    pirate
05/07/2012 at 21:29
Pix, not sure that Outlaw does a half, but Challenge Henley does, and it's where the pirate ship is heading next September
meface    pirate
05/07/2012 at 21:39

Not sure that Half-IM training is that much less if you want to compete but maybe is if you want to get round.

For an IM running doesn't get much above 2.5 hours on any plans. Anything more and you are fecked for the next session (the next day). So if you give up Saturday or Sunday for long ride with a 6am start you should be done by lunchtime. That leaves you one very early morning or evening for the long run. The rest can be built around. Can you fit any in at lunch time?

I do 9-5 with 1-hr for lunch which means school run at 8am 3-days a week and the other 2 I leave at 8:15. I get home at 6 and help with bedtime. Training starts at 7pm unless more beckons and tender deadlines sometimes leave me up till 2am. Some sessions get missed.

You could take the first 4-weeks of a training plan and do them in September (or now) and see how it works. This will give you a taste for what is to come.

You can do it, you just have to want to do it, and if you don't want to fit the training in then don't do it. There is a lot of training so you have to enjoy it.

M.eface

Ultra AJH    pirate
06/07/2012 at 06:27
Maybe I was thinking of Henley.

I never actually wanted to do an IM, but after an Olympic decided to give a half a go. I didn't train much more for that to be honest and got round fine.

I then decided I wanted to do the whole pirate thing and entered Zurich, then pulled out cos it was too expensive, then entered IMUk because I could stay with family. I bloody hated training for it, everything went wrong but I decided I had to finish the damn thing.

Then because I decided I didn't do it well I had to enter outlaw, and this time I trained properly and loved it, because this time I was doing it for me.
Ultra AJH    pirate
06/07/2012 at 06:28
So what I'm saying I think is, don't enter just because of the pirate thing. It HAS to be for you.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/07/2012 at 06:55

meface I work at an academy and we do thing different! I leave home at 7 (when the gym and pool open so no use), get 30mins lunch (with the kids no dinner ladies) and get home at 6 (4 on a friday - looks like my long run day!) so what I would have to do is a longer training "Plan" or aim to get to a certain position before I start a proper training plan.

Henley is well expensive - why do they charge so much more (£350 I think it was) is it because they're "royal"?!

06/07/2012 at 06:59

As others have said Pixie if you want it you can do it - but you do have to really want it. It's a very selfish thing and it's much easier with the support of your family. You have to stop making excuses and start making plans though! How about leaving home at 0600hrs a couple of mornings and swimming at a pool near work?

PSC    pirate
06/07/2012 at 07:08

Pix, £350 is cheap....  check out some of the IM prices

Up at 5 seems to be the answer and compensate by going to bed earlier.  You don't need to put in 20 hours of training a week - it is possible to train smart for these things as long as you are not trying to break 9 hours.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/07/2012 at 14:56

have dug out  free union wall chart and I'm currently plotting school dates with husbands work shift to try and plan a get round middle distance in Sept. If that works AND I can maintain fitness afterwards rather than fade and die then I'm planning further!

When will outlaw open and how quickly will it fill up anyone?

PSC if £350 if cheap I won't ever do a "proper" IM

ImRio    pirate
07/07/2012 at 16:38

Pix if you want/need a mentor I am happy to help

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/07/2012 at 17:31

Rio I may very well take you up on that ...

damn that makes it sound like I'm doing this .... hmmm

ImRio    pirate
07/07/2012 at 19:02

Of course you are

Message me when you are ready

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/07/2012 at 11:07

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/07/2012 at 19:22

Just been looking at a beginners plan on beginner triathlete.com and the swim session are given in distance but when working out the training time it's about twice my pace.

I know I am a slow swimmer, cyclist and err runner so do you do training for an IM by distance like a marathon or time? The bike and run are just set as time training not distance.

08/07/2012 at 19:31
It depends on how much time you have. I've never been able to get close to the times suggested for the distances. I normally just swim for an hour a session unless specifically swimming longer ( later in the program). At this stage focusing on improving technique and drills are more important than trying to hit times set by a training program.
meface    pirate
08/07/2012 at 21:40

I do time for everything.

Makes planning easier for everyone as they know how long you intend to be gone for. At the start you may not do the whole wim sets. (I never do) but dut hopefully you will quickly get to the point where the swim cut-offs son't worry you.

We can't come up with solutions to all your time problems - it is up to you to find them. We all have different time pressures and different solutions.

But they can be found.

M.eface

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/07/2012 at 06:36

phew that's great to hear so 1hr at a time for the swim.

I was going to say if qeek 1 has a swim which would take me 90+ mins then I wouldn't stand a chance

09/07/2012 at 07:04

Don Fink's Just Get Round plan has 1600m swim sets for the first ten weeks - might be worth investing in the book as it has some good time management ideas too.

101 to 120 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.