IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

121 to 140 of 188 messages
iron fraggle    pirate
02/08/2012 at 15:50
A combined bike/swim brick then ? ;-p
02/08/2012 at 20:25
Did you get out EP? I did 5k off road run with wife so nice and steady wife (Lisa) did well though we ran 29 minutes so under 10 minute mile pace. Lisa not a runner just fancied a run out with me. Then I braved it and went ow swim, two big loops 1800 m so well chuffed
03/08/2012 at 18:52
Still you have the Full Boar to look forward to
05/08/2012 at 12:33
EP I never ate on bike I just had Gel on each lap, also had one bottle made up and spare holder on bike which on 2nd lap of bike I put there bottle in at feed station. They had bananas at the feed stations on run so had half banana at each station with water. I'm not sure on FB cause wife now wants to go away in motorhome that weekend. If you want to get out on long bike give me a shout, if I'm free I'll be more than happy to come out with you again.
05/08/2012 at 19:43

Consistent consistency is the key Pixie - but the odd big week is no bad thing, (you won't be 'over trained' in a week) as long as it doesn't mean you lose the next week, boom and bust training isn't good. No reason for you to not be back to it today though - unless you think you're ill?

Do you check your RHR? I use that to determine whether I'm tired (fact of life whilst training fo rthe full distance) or on the edge of ill - in which case a day off is in order. The middle ground - feeling really tired and rough but RHR fine is an easy session (as in no more than Z2 HR).

Can't help with water bottles at Full Boar as am pretty much self sufficient on the bike for a HIM. Can you fit a second bottle cage? You don't need two hands to eat on the bike - gels use teeth and one hand, an open packet of shot bloks in your bento box or back pocket just need one hand to squeeze them out, you can pre open Nakd bars etc and eat with one hand too. Just takes a little forethought and you probably don't need as much as you think anyway.

Cortina5    pirate
05/08/2012 at 21:24

What she said. I learnt on my first HIM that winter gloves and closed bars don't work. For the full I had opened and cut my bars ready for the eating.

09/08/2012 at 06:47

Saddle bag for puncture kit, bento box for stuff you  need to have immediately accessible - inhaler, food, etc. Sorted.

09/08/2012 at 09:14

Nothing to apologise for - just no need to stress the small stuff

09/08/2012 at 16:46
Too hot to put wettie on, couple of beers and BBQ me thinks
Cortina5    pirate
10/08/2012 at 10:02

Good effort EP! I hate swimming without a wettie.

Surely you can wear your wettie if you want? It's not a race so ITU rules don't apply. Our lake has people without wetsuits in temperatures that ITU would require one.

10/08/2012 at 12:09

In my experience a more padded seat means more discomfort. Whilst it's counter intuitive a swap to a more razor blade like seat increased my comfort level - but the bottom line is that you have to TTFU and get used to it.

When I first started riding it was painful after 30 minutes now I'm not too uncomfortable in tri shorts for up to 4 hours, after that I think it hurts whatever you wear! My LBS had bike seats you could buy but return within three months for a full refund if they didn't suit you - might be worth enquiring about? The other tip that helped me was to lower the nose of my saddle very slightly - though that does depend on where you experience the discomfort.

iron fraggle    pirate
10/08/2012 at 13:11
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

me? stress? no way! I'd never do that! Ask Fraggle she'll confirm I am as cool as a cucumber!!

*eck what else have I forgotten?*

Beautiful day today so bike to from OW it is. Will be wettie swim so using old 5gears hybrid bike so I can strap wet wettie to the rack on the back!

oh, yes, Pixie is an oasis of calm...     

Edited: 10/08/2012 at 13:12
iron fraggle    pirate
16/08/2012 at 10:12

I have spd's Pix, as i found with Looks that when i clipped in and out i could feel it in my back post-op. I would think yours should be ok for now - as long as they're comfortable on long rides and you're used to them, then don't change them for the sake of it for your HIM. It might be that as you do longer distances you get numbness, etc, and need to swap to other types or cleat system.

Aero bars? I can't get down into an aero position on my bike so don't have any, but i'm sure someone else can advise you on that one

16/08/2012 at 11:48

PIx - you don't need to swap the SPDs for road versions if you don't feel a need to.  I know a few IM who use their MTB shoes for them to save the faff of having different systems on road and MTB bikes.   the upside of road shoes and cleats is that they are stiffer so you can put more power through the cranks - MTB shoes are designed softer for walking on.

as for aero bars - your call really.  they're not essential but most users will say that they will give up to 2mph extra speed for the same effort at normal bikes speeds if set up properly.  2mph over an IM distance can equate to about 30mins in time saving!  and that's for not a lot of investment really. they can take a little getting used to if you're not a confident rider but most people, once they've got used to them, will say they are beneficial.   but good setup is important - a poor setup will gain nothing.   you will also need to get used to them over a period of time as  being in an aero position can be uncomfy on the arms, neck, back and shoulders - but again, in time, you adapt to this.

16/08/2012 at 14:22

I said "up to" - the amount depends on many factors.  but there will be some gain without doubt

16/08/2012 at 15:38

Glad you clarified that FB as I doubt I gain 2mph with my aero bars but they definitely help when cycling in to a head wind and I tend to think of it as 'using the bars for a rest) as once the set up is right it's a very comfortable position - or at least that's what I found.

Cortina5    pirate
16/08/2012 at 21:33

I've just been out for a blast on my TT bike, and reminded myself of the benefits of a well fitting bike, and aerobars. Get the on the bike!

Oh I understand FB but as I said and gain is essential as I will be using my full 17hrs and seeing as I will be expected in school by 8am the next day I'd rather not be finishing at 11pm!!

I hope you're local!

the OW swim is organised by the Tri club who stick up a big sign saying BTF rules say no wettie!

This intrigued me, so I looked it up. Para 9.6 (Technical rules for swimming) races only! I'm sure FB can clarify. Mind you, I'd love to try some OW swimming without a wettie.

iron fraggle    pirate
16/08/2012 at 21:53

go to our local lake then Cat - there were people swimming 'naked' there last week

Cortina5    pirate
16/08/2012 at 22:00

I'm not sure I would want to expose my body to the lake beasties

17/08/2012 at 09:28

BTF rules do indeed only apply to races but I suspect the tri club are being cautious as the danger of swimming in a wetsuit when the water is over 24C is dehydration and overheating, both of which can lead to complications when swimming and can be dangerous.   it's also a good way of getting people used to non-wetsuit swimming for such days when races are in bathwater temps - there's a been a few non-wetsuit IM swims in recent years 'cos the water's been too warm (27C at IMDE in 2006)

"it won't be 24+ at 9am" - don't you believe it!  water temp doesn't drop dramatically overnight in a big body of water with a decent overnight air temp as we have at the mo.  the water temp should be taken on race morning at least 1 hr before race start and that will define whether it's wetuit or not.

121 to 140 of 188 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.