IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

141 to 160 of 188 messages
17/08/2012 at 09:53

yep - non-wetsuit swims do happen in races but rarely in the UK - Dorney had a couple in recent years as the rowing lake was too warm. IM Austria this year was non wetuit as well.  

and some races in warmer climes are always non-wetsuit.  so if you make Kona, be prepared for a non-wetsuit swim....

iron fraggle    pirate
18/08/2012 at 12:30
One crap swim does not a crap swimmer make Pix. Obviously the wetsuit is quite tight and restrictive at first, maybe this is what's giving you the heebiejeebies. Not sure what the answer to it is, other than practise more ? Did you bung loads of bodyglide on before hand?
iron fraggle    pirate
18/08/2012 at 14:26
At my last Tri one of the marshals helped me get my arms out of the sleeves, so don't worry, I'm sure someone will help you if you need it.
PSC    pirate
19/08/2012 at 17:48

does your wettie go right down to your wrists?  Some peeps cut an inch or two off the ends of the sleeves and legs which means they are easier to get off.....  Also get the top half off straight away while it is still full of water... it will come off much easier then.  

And +1 on the 1 x crap swim does not a bad swimmer make.

Cortina5    pirate
19/08/2012 at 20:43

Get it trimmed. Mine will be losing some leg length this week. At my last tri I was dragged round by my wetsuit when the strippers tried to removed it.

Cortina5    pirate
19/08/2012 at 22:08

There is some guff on t'web about how to do it. No higher than the tape on the seams, and cut parallel to the existing edges. I'm only going for 1".

20/08/2012 at 10:07

Pix - trim some off the legs but don't bother with the arms unless thye really are too long.  I've cut about 3" off my legs just to make sure it comes off quicker - and that's on a £500 suit!

another tip to help, undo the top as soon as you start to get out of the water - a rush of water into the suit helps it come off easier.

as for the crap swim - next time you go, don't go with the intention of doing a sesssion but just float around in the shallow area gradually getting used to the feel of it, and gently swimming when you get used to it.  many people have panic sessions in open water so you're not alone so don't feel as if it's just you as it's not.  take your time.

OK - I realise you have a race in a couple of weeks but don't get disheartened by what's happened.  you'll probably find that the race situation will help!

20/08/2012 at 13:46
Pix if your doing the race to just get round then don't stress your self cause your more than capable of getting round. Their are no cut offs to worry about so you will not get pulled from race. So go enjoy respect the distance get a feel for it then prepare for outlaw.
PSC    pirate
22/08/2012 at 21:28
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

My wettie is untouched by scissors because I would love to sell it when it's too large ......

LOL... once you've pee'ed in it a few times all thoughts of selling it will be banished from your mind.  There isn't much of a market for second hand wetties - odd really

Edited: 22/08/2012 at 21:29
PSC    pirate
23/08/2012 at 22:11

Pix... a few years ago I got a DVD about open water swimming and how to get wettie off etc.  It was a freebee with one of the tri mag and is worth watching.  I've still got it so if you want to see it PM me your address and I will send it to you.  You can give it back at Outlaw once  you are a swimming Goddess. 

27/08/2012 at 13:03
Pixie when you get in you will be 100+ meters away from start so you can warm up swim to start. Water temp dropping by the day should be a nice toastie 13 deg enjoy
27/08/2012 at 15:39
You can put your own on feed station EP if your worried about bottles not fitting.
27/08/2012 at 16:51

Will a 750ml bottle not fit in your bottle cage Pixie?

30/08/2012 at 08:19

Remember the worry is just your adrenaline preparing you for fight or flight so use it to fly round the course 

Stress and worry are not bad things providing you turn them to your advantage

30/08/2012 at 17:19
Eye of the Tiger
31/08/2012 at 12:38

OK Pixie

Now listen very carefully I shall say this only once (please imagine bad French accent  )

You will do just great and you will be just fine - I have complete faith in you

I shall be sending you positive vibes whilst I'm doing various race duties on Sunday (it is sunday isn't it otherwise they'll be wasted vibes  ) and look forward to reading about what a blast you had  

I shall wish you loads of good luck now (although you don't need it) as computers at home are a bit dodgy as we are in the middle of some internal building stuff and I can barely find a clean pair of knickknacks let along a working computer 

Enjoy

03/09/2012 at 07:17

Hey that's fantastic EP - a lot of demons put to bed there from the sounds of it

And hurting after a race is a badge of honour and I always think it's a nice hurting

Well done!!

iron fraggle    pirate
03/09/2012 at 09:39
Well done pix, you should be very proud of yourself mate
03/09/2012 at 09:45

you've come a long way Pix - chapeau!  onwards to Outlaw

03/09/2012 at 22:40

That's for the grinning not the hurting by the way!!

141 to 160 of 188 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.