IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

141 to 160 of 369 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/07/2012 at 06:51

well I slept well last night and don't ache as much as I expected too today so obviously I wimped out!

17/07/2012 at 08:28
Or your fitter than you think T E P
17/07/2012 at 08:53

That's good going EP

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/07/2012 at 09:59

ST I think you are being too generous - you will find this out on Thursday when I drown in front of you (even if this is technically impossible in a wettie!!)

Podds I'm shattered - next time I will take my lap counter so I know for sure how carp I am!

17/07/2012 at 20:20

2.2k in 55 minutes including rests etc is good swimming Pixie.

ST - do you know what the temperature is in MB at the moment?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
17/07/2012 at 20:41

LMH it was only cos everyone else was faster and I HAD to swim or die!

Are you also an MB swimmer?? ST and I are down there this Thursday you coming??!!!

18/07/2012 at 06:48

I've been before and raced there but I'm not swimming OW as I'm not racing in it this year unless I decide to do their HIM, in which case I may stick a practice swim in first. MVH and Derby Tri OW is closer though - which I guess they would be for you too?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/07/2012 at 19:08

LMH both ST and I are hoping to do the HIM if that helps!!

I work in Derby but I live in Leiestershire about 17m from MB

Rest day today as drained - did 1hr bike + 2m run last night

18/07/2012 at 19:12

I did it last year Pixie but the water was freezing - 12C - and I'm hypothyroid so very intolerant of cold. I was fortunate to be racked next to my husband (and to come out of the swim at the same time) as I couldn't grip the collar of my wettie to open it and had to get him to do it! It's earlier this year so I would hope warmer but given the weather we've been having maybe not.

Are you doing Erewash this year?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/07/2012 at 19:14

-12  OMG!!!

hope to do Erewash too.

How does a HIM differ to a shorter tri? I assume everything works the same?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/07/2012 at 06:48

I have my wettie, hat, goggles, contacts so I can actually see and a towel at the ready.

Feel like I did on my 1st swim - shall I chicken out? It's scarey. It's dark. Can't see the bottom. etc but now ST is going I HAVE to go! Eck

19/07/2012 at 06:52

It works exactly the same apart from the fact that you're all in the water together. They are a very friendly bunch at MB in my experience, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Not -12C; 12C - LOL

The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/07/2012 at 14:23

Cool! Apparently the water was 20 last week

I've e-mailed the organisors of Erewash to see if they will accept my entry if I post it tomorrow

The Evil Pixie    pirate
19/07/2012 at 21:22

Can't believe ST stood me up on our 1st OW date! After he made me go there in the 1st place!

LMH Erewash filled today so nope too late to enter

Bog swimming was a mare. I did 1 large, 1 small lap but as before I forgot how to breath, chest went tight, got totally disorientated and just forgot how to swim! Didn't go giddly getting out but did almost get cramp in both calves (felt them tighten)

The FB seems a tough call and IM a distant dream but I will persist!

need a hot bath now

20/07/2012 at 07:30

I think 20C in MB is a dream too Pixie  

If it's any consolation I couldn't swim FC when I decided to do my first full distance and had never swum OW other than as a kid on holiday.

It's not long until the HIM so only you know if it's realistic or not - I'd say that you know now that you can do the swim one way or another (swimming to the start line tends to deal with the tight chest I can't breathe stuff there), need to decide whether you can build up to at least being comfy on the bike for 40 miles and able to run for an hour in time for a short taper - if you can do that I think you can do it.

Shame about Erewash.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
20/07/2012 at 09:56

hmm I appear to have pre-registered for outlaw

LMH I know I can swim that distance fine it's just last night was a mare - will hopefully improve. Not sure if no wettie will help as that is an option I believe - peeps were swimming without yesterday. Maybe that would help me get used to the face in murky water thing and then get back to wettie?

annoyed about Erewash  'tis a nice event.

Enteries don't close until 28th Aug for FB so will see what happens. Would still like to do it.

20/07/2012 at 14:12
Pixie well stop moaning about me, you stopped answering my im's so thought you had got scared lol so I went shopping instead ( cough for mans stuff of course) get your bike sorted then we can go for a ride we could even do the FB course together? I promise I won't stand you up again ( unless washing my hair ) promise.
20/07/2012 at 15:34

Pixie - entries might not closed but I think there are less than forty places left as it stands. Not sure why swimming without a wettie would help with the face in the water thing?

20/07/2012 at 15:46
Hi LMH are you doing FB again this year? It was weird last year cold swim bit drizzle and cold ish bike then red hot roasting run lol good fun though.
20/07/2012 at 17:16

I think we're going to ST. Had a bit of a strange season as was ill a couple of weeks before VLM, recovered two days before and had a good run and then the virus returned with a vengeance for six weeks so I've only been back training for about five weeks and apart from Erewash (which we support because it's local) I have nothing targeted until Abingdon marathon. Bike miles are a little down to be racing well by FB - my long rides are only around 45 miles at the moment - and unless the weather improves significantly they're not going to improve much so it could be hard to have a good race and I enjoy training more than racing. Will see what my husband wants to do and go along with that I think. Have you entered?

141 to 160 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.