IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

1 to 20 of 369 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/01/2011 at 17:16

INn 2013 i TURN 40

I tHOUGHGT THIS SEMED A GOOD EXCUSES TO DO AN IM

SO WHAT IS THE BEST, NOVICE SLOW FIENDLY, FLAT IM?

SORRY ABOUGHT TYPING PONE IS PLAYING UP!!

PIXIE 

09/01/2011 at 17:33

IM Regensburg. Run and swim (funnily !) are flat apparently, and the hills are apparently average for an IM.

The real advantage IMR has is 50 or so Pirates doing ti with you for moral support (which counts for A LOT)

Only problem is you need to do it THIS year!

But it is 30 weeks away from today, so you haven't missed the start of your training plan!

meface    pirate
09/01/2011 at 18:02
Do it this year - see how you get on - it then allows you to go for something more special for 40th like a double, triple, deca or exotic IM (e.g. IMNZ)
Kanga M    pirate
09/01/2011 at 19:31
Outlaw. Relatively flattish bike, pancake flat run, and probably cheaper logistics depending on where you live. Not the Pirate 'A' race this year but will be a good crew there as well.
09/01/2011 at 20:10

I'm not going to pretend that any of them are easy but picking one with lots of pirate support is worth minutes off your time.

If you're planning ahead for 2013 I would do some short races this year to get the hang of it.  Then do a half IM next year.  The Vitruvian is always well supported by the pirates or try Bala at the beginning of the season.

09/01/2011 at 20:22
+1 for Outlaw
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
09/01/2011 at 20:58
Ive done the allaged 'easy' IM Florida twice, its pan flat.   To be honest id rather do an IM with a few hills as it gives your legs a bit of variety instead of having to relentlessly push in the bike for hours and hours.

None of the Ironman races are easy, if you train and prepare well it shouldnt really matter which one you do, the only exception really is Lanzarotte which is pretty hilly and prone to wind (though it wasnt to windy the year I did it).  I guess the latter highlights that a hard course can be easier, similarly a course chosen for its apparent ease could be a real test if the conditions are bad on race day.

As already said support counts for a big factor on race day.  Getting round an Ironman is as mentally challenging as physically.

I dont know your running or sporting history but if youre a regular runner and have run a marathon or two, preparing in 6-9 months isnt impossible, the limiters would be how your swimming ability and how you adapt to learning front crawl, getting used to open water.  The other factors to consider are available time and ambition,

If you want to do an Ironman in 2013 there will no doubt be a large group from here doing an Ironman.  Keep your eyes peeled to the forum from June as thats when we select the following years main event.
Edited: 09/01/2011 at 21:00
Ironholgs    pirate
09/01/2011 at 22:19

I'd do both the Outlaw and IMDE again, both excellent races.

No IM is easy, some courses aren't as challenging but it all comes down to how you feel on the day, how much you've trained, sometimes luck, determination and how much you want it. Having amazing Pirate support is a massive plus as well.

Whichever event you go for, prepare correctly and it will be "easier" and best of luck.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/01/2011 at 22:28

thanks guys

Managed to get on the laptop briefly!

I've been running for 8+ yrs and done 4 marathons

I'm a slow runner, swimmer and cyclist but stubborn as an old mule

I'm currently 2-3st overweight and doing a teacher training course at Uni so haven't exercised for 4mths.

Hence 2013!

I would LOVE a big pirate event!

As 2013 will be my 40th I would consider using birthday money to go abroad if it was a good race.

I know I have a HUGE amount of training to do.

My plan is 2011 lose weight and get back to exercising

2012 do half IM

2013 train and do IM

I've done 6 tris now, all sprint except London when I did the oly in 2009. My OW is also very limited!

I'm fully aware of the amount of training and with my weight and total lack of speed now I would struggle with the 17hrs! I still want to do this though and want to give myself the best chance too as it's a lot of training and money

That's why I asked for advice as I know you lot are brilliant and supportive

Thanks loads

Pixie

JPenno    pirate
09/01/2011 at 22:44

Pixie - there a quite a few of us Pirates who could be classed as 2-3 stone over weight, Its just fuel for endurance, not for speed

Why not enter a Half for 2010 and use that as training and weight loss

10/01/2011 at 09:21
hi Pix

drag that bloody Fraggle along on your journey as well - she keeps threatening but never delivers..

like others have said - it doesn't matter if it's flat or hilly it still bloody hurts so get the training in and you'll be fine

I'd go for Outlaw as a good entry one for the distance but if you want IM, then wait and see what reports from Wales this September are like although that one will NOT be flat. Otherwise look at IM Austria, Germany or Switzerland as good openers but be warned they fill up quickly. Alternatively, Challenge Roth or Barcelona would be good - Roth is one of the best non-IM branded events around (it used to be the home of IM Germany so has form)

And with the rate that IM and Challenge groups are adding new events who knows what others will be around in 2013
The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/01/2011 at 19:54

*waves*

FB I have discussed IM with Fraggle actually and she pointed out health issues before mentioning being 45 next year!

Outlaw is looking a good option (Plus I live 20ish miles from Nottingham!)

I will watch the forums in the June just in case I can afford one abroad!!

Now I know I need to get my butt in gear but .... what good books, training plans, advice can I read up on?

I know how to train for a marathon but that's on it's own! I did L2B by just doing a few long bike rides so no structure!

Swimming is pants so that would need a lot of work (especially OW)

Cheers

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
10/01/2011 at 20:18
Lo ikkle pixiecated one, I  would do Outlaw If I was you cos it,s in the school holipops. I shall be there too  But as a volunteer not a combatant. Why not come over and help with us on the day, you will see what some of it,s like course wise.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
10/01/2011 at 20:20
I may pop over this year Nicko just to have a look but I am looking to compete in 2013 so you had better still be helping as I will need ALL the help I can get!!
10/01/2011 at 20:23

beginnertriathlete.com is a useful site and triathlete-europe.com is a really good mag.

Other books I have on hand at the moment (IMRegensburg 30 week plan starts today) are Going Long and Be Iron Fit

Also. there's a feck of a lot of information in the archives on here. It's a pain to search through but if you use your Google toolbar and type keywords and then site:runnersworld.co.uk  you can pick up a lot. Some good archives on the PSOF website too.

Last but not least, there's a good thread on here about how bad people were one year before their first IM. Link

One more http://www.imtalk.me/

Edited: 10/01/2011 at 20:29
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
10/01/2011 at 20:26
I have started running/training again from scratch after my non booze thingy, and I have jumped into a bit of the deepish end by signing up to do Vitruvian in Sept, a sprint in May and am entering the Cowman half ironman distance in July too. So I may as well train for Beachy head too as im doing nowt in between to keep me busy heheheheheehehh
The Evil Pixie    pirate
11/01/2011 at 18:22

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help

I want to do this and I know I have to get a lot fitter to do it.

My mara PB is crap as it is and that takes a lot of training and organising training too so best plan ahead!!

Trogs    pirate
11/01/2011 at 21:21

Wotcha Pix!   

If you want something that's a pleasure to read, is great motivation and shows that IM is achievable, there's always 'Can't Swim, Can't Bike, Can't Run' (From Common Man to Ironman) by our very own IronHolgs

Edited: 11/01/2011 at 21:30
M...eldy    pirate
11/01/2011 at 21:41
Pix .. you have been around these parts long enough to have seen the PSOF ship sail from a dinghy to the Ark Royal, if there is two things you have to take away from all that is A) you have to want to do it and B) you have to be able to put in the time
If you are finding marathon training a struggle  then I would suggest that IM training is going to take a whole heap more planning  
The Evil Pixie    pirate
12/01/2011 at 06:34

Trogs. .... on order!!

Meldy .... hence the 2 year planning

I want to have an idea of ratio though

I know the Pirate moto of run a bit, bike a lot (or something like that!)

But, for example, when I was mara training I would do a mid week longish run, do I can that and do a mid week long bike, weekend long ride? Is the mara longest run still 20m ish? How long should your longest bike be? Should you swim 2.4m before the day?

Plus stupid questions like .... when swimming is it drink/fuel at start and T1? or do I have to learn to take a drink whilst swimming!!  (like they did in the Olympics!!!)

The videos I've watched almost make it look like they take your bike to T2 - surely this isn't so?!

etc.

Cheers!

1 to 20 of 369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.