IM thoughts

tri novice having IM thoughts

1 to 20 of 188 messages
09/01/2011 at 17:33

IM Regensburg. Run and swim (funnily !) are flat apparently, and the hills are apparently average for an IM.

The real advantage IMR has is 50 or so Pirates doing ti with you for moral support (which counts for A LOT)

Only problem is you need to do it THIS year!

But it is 30 weeks away from today, so you haven't missed the start of your training plan!

meface    pirate
09/01/2011 at 18:02
Do it this year - see how you get on - it then allows you to go for something more special for 40th like a double, triple, deca or exotic IM (e.g. IMNZ)
Kanga M    pirate
09/01/2011 at 19:31
Outlaw. Relatively flattish bike, pancake flat run, and probably cheaper logistics depending on where you live. Not the Pirate 'A' race this year but will be a good crew there as well.
09/01/2011 at 20:10

I'm not going to pretend that any of them are easy but picking one with lots of pirate support is worth minutes off your time.

If you're planning ahead for 2013 I would do some short races this year to get the hang of it.  Then do a half IM next year.  The Vitruvian is always well supported by the pirates or try Bala at the beginning of the season.

09/01/2011 at 20:22
+1 for Outlaw
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
09/01/2011 at 20:58
Ive done the allaged 'easy' IM Florida twice, its pan flat.   To be honest id rather do an IM with a few hills as it gives your legs a bit of variety instead of having to relentlessly push in the bike for hours and hours.

None of the Ironman races are easy, if you train and prepare well it shouldnt really matter which one you do, the only exception really is Lanzarotte which is pretty hilly and prone to wind (though it wasnt to windy the year I did it).  I guess the latter highlights that a hard course can be easier, similarly a course chosen for its apparent ease could be a real test if the conditions are bad on race day.

As already said support counts for a big factor on race day.  Getting round an Ironman is as mentally challenging as physically.

I dont know your running or sporting history but if youre a regular runner and have run a marathon or two, preparing in 6-9 months isnt impossible, the limiters would be how your swimming ability and how you adapt to learning front crawl, getting used to open water.  The other factors to consider are available time and ambition,

If you want to do an Ironman in 2013 there will no doubt be a large group from here doing an Ironman.  Keep your eyes peeled to the forum from June as thats when we select the following years main event.
Edited: 09/01/2011 at 21:00
Ironholgs    pirate
09/01/2011 at 22:19

I'd do both the Outlaw and IMDE again, both excellent races.

No IM is easy, some courses aren't as challenging but it all comes down to how you feel on the day, how much you've trained, sometimes luck, determination and how much you want it. Having amazing Pirate support is a massive plus as well.

Whichever event you go for, prepare correctly and it will be "easier" and best of luck.

JPenno    pirate
09/01/2011 at 22:44

Pixie - there a quite a few of us Pirates who could be classed as 2-3 stone over weight, Its just fuel for endurance, not for speed

Why not enter a Half for 2010 and use that as training and weight loss

10/01/2011 at 09:21
hi Pix

drag that bloody Fraggle along on your journey as well - she keeps threatening but never delivers..

like others have said - it doesn't matter if it's flat or hilly it still bloody hurts so get the training in and you'll be fine

I'd go for Outlaw as a good entry one for the distance but if you want IM, then wait and see what reports from Wales this September are like although that one will NOT be flat. Otherwise look at IM Austria, Germany or Switzerland as good openers but be warned they fill up quickly. Alternatively, Challenge Roth or Barcelona would be good - Roth is one of the best non-IM branded events around (it used to be the home of IM Germany so has form)

And with the rate that IM and Challenge groups are adding new events who knows what others will be around in 2013
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
10/01/2011 at 20:18
Lo ikkle pixiecated one, I  would do Outlaw If I was you cos it,s in the school holipops. I shall be there too  But as a volunteer not a combatant. Why not come over and help with us on the day, you will see what some of it,s like course wise.
10/01/2011 at 20:23

beginnertriathlete.com is a useful site and triathlete-europe.com is a really good mag.

Other books I have on hand at the moment (IMRegensburg 30 week plan starts today) are Going Long and Be Iron Fit

Also. there's a feck of a lot of information in the archives on here. It's a pain to search through but if you use your Google toolbar and type keywords and then site:runnersworld.co.uk  you can pick up a lot. Some good archives on the PSOF website too.

Last but not least, there's a good thread on here about how bad people were one year before their first IM. Link

One more http://www.imtalk.me/

Edited: 10/01/2011 at 20:29
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
10/01/2011 at 20:26
I have started running/training again from scratch after my non booze thingy, and I have jumped into a bit of the deepish end by signing up to do Vitruvian in Sept, a sprint in May and am entering the Cowman half ironman distance in July too. So I may as well train for Beachy head too as im doing nowt in between to keep me busy heheheheheehehh
Trogs    pirate
11/01/2011 at 21:21

Wotcha Pix!   

If you want something that's a pleasure to read, is great motivation and shows that IM is achievable, there's always 'Can't Swim, Can't Bike, Can't Run' (From Common Man to Ironman) by our very own IronHolgs

Edited: 11/01/2011 at 21:30
M...eldy    pirate
11/01/2011 at 21:41
Pix .. you have been around these parts long enough to have seen the PSOF ship sail from a dinghy to the Ark Royal, if there is two things you have to take away from all that is A) you have to want to do it and B) you have to be able to put in the time
If you are finding marathon training a struggle  then I would suggest that IM training is going to take a whole heap more planning  
12/01/2011 at 10:24

For my first IM, my longest bike was around 90-ish (in retrospect I should have put in more 80+ mile rides).  Some people like the reassurance of having completed a century ride, but if this is going to completely wipe you out for a few days then don't do it. 

My running topped out at a 3 hour max (3 off) which for me was about 18 miles.  Don't try and plug a marathon running schedule into an IM training plan, if you are aiming for a leisurely day you will not be running all 26.2 miles. 

Swimming- I topped out at 3k max, but I was a confident swimmer and was sure I could slap on the additional 800m.  For comfort reasons, some prefer to have already swam the distance pre-event.  You fuel pre and post swim, not during.

Some events will take your bike going into T2, some won't.  Some will strip your wetsuit, some won't.  Check on event by event basis.

12/01/2011 at 10:30

The Olympic OW swim race  is 10k  You dont get the chance to drink in an IM

Having your bike taken at T2 in can be great, Saves running up and down trying to find the right place to rack and having to sort out hanging it up... Much nicer just to hand it to a willing helper and get on with running

12/01/2011 at 10:32
Pix

training for IM is so different from a stand alone marathon and it takes a lot of juggling about to find the best routine. if you can separate the long runs from the long rides it does help recovery but sadly most end up doing "suicide weekends" which is a long run one day, the long ride the following (or whatever way around suits)

the longest run doesn't need to be a 20 miler for a beginner IM - you'll be doing a lot of walking to start with so perhaps train more for a run/walk strategy of an ultra and learn to "shamble" with tired legs. a good strategy is walk the aid station/run between (about 2k normally).

longest bike?? hmmm - good question - but certainly it needs to be in the 150-180k range (and preferably more than one) but I don't think you need the full distance unless you want the confidence from having done one. same for the swim - although probably more of a confidence boost doing that if it's the weaker discipline.

fueling in the swim?? errrm - no - no chance as there is nowhere to put or keep a drink - you're on a straight 3.8km swim with no breaks (or maybe short land section at the end of lap 1). so start fuelled up and then re-fuel in T1 if needed but most do so on the bike.

in some IM, they have bike rackers who take the bike from you as you enter T2. in others you rack your own bike - but it depends on where the kit is. if the kit is in bags you collect, then it's bike rackers; if it's next to the bike, you rack yourself. more IM now use bike rackers but some are still self racking (Switzerland for one)
12/01/2011 at 19:43

Pix

The minimum you need to know about bike maintenance is how to change a tube.  However, the more you know the better you'll be at looking after your bike and that will make your bike more reliable and faster.

Your bike has a 7 speed cassette with a triple chainring.  That will give you a really good range of gears so don't worry about changing anything at the moment.  If your chain and cassette have a lot of miles on them you might want to get new ones but that's all you need to change.

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
12/01/2011 at 19:55

As Mr W says you may only need to change your cassette if its worn!

I would go for ZZ Top cos it's really good to keep a good beat too

12/01/2011 at 20:45

re long rides v long runs....

According to various training programs, they all end up having a spine of the following 

1. a long ride - build from 90 mins up to 6 hrs ish
  2. a long run - build from 40 mins up to 2 1/2 hrs
  3. a long swim - build from 1k to 3.8k

They take 4 - 6 months to build up - ie little increments each week....  You can see why this IM training lark eats up the hours

The rest of the sessions in the week are filler......

If you can do the above you should get around easilly.

As you are finding out from the posts above, you can do a lot less and still survive / have an enjoyable time of it  - it will just be less pretty / you will be walking a lot more of the marathon....

1 to 20 of 188 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.