IM Wisconsin 2008

A one man band .....?

18 messages
14/07/2007 at 21:22
Just an initial thread to see if anyone else out there in lurker land is interested in traveling further afield that Nice.

I would like to stress to any first timers who want to go to an IM and have the full force of a pirate support crew to consider Nice before this, (even though I must stress that training is a pre cursor as Nice is tough ... lol !!!) the pirate support wagon is a formidable force that can give you that extra few minutes that you need or the extra impetus on the run when you think all is lost.

For me, I have done Nice and I will hop eot be on the Promenade des Anglais supporting but my heart lies elsewhere next year.

I aim to do firstly Roth, which I have entered and then IM Wisconsin, which I haven't and can't til September 10th this year.

I have a tri club colleague who has done this race many times and also this year and checked thru the race reports. Its not an easy course, in fact its reasonably technical on the bike and conveluted run. The main factor for the bizarre differences in times year on year is the weather though, a bit mad in madison around September and has ranged from mid range winters to Sahara heatwaves (this is a US point of view ;-))

Anyway, if anyone fancies it, join in, if not I am sure this thread will degenerate at some point so bring it on lol !!!
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
14/07/2007 at 21:25
errr errr errr

no

maybe

oh I shouldnt

errr

how quick does it fill up?
M...eldy    pirate
14/07/2007 at 21:26
Vote Barlos!
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
14/07/2007 at 21:29
5 weeks after Norseman innit
M...eldy    pirate
14/07/2007 at 21:30
you need a check up from the neck up

Rosey I think he is after your pips!
14/07/2007 at 21:39
Rosey I'd recommend being at your computer the second registration opens up. I suspect it will sell out in a day or faster. The later the IM is in the year here the fast it sells out (i.e IMFL sold out in 45 mins). After two IMNA events this year (IMAZ and IMFL) I think I'll likely be doing the race in Nice.
14/07/2007 at 22:11
Hi nick, I was thinking of a race stateside. Lake Placid if I can get in. Would like to do Wisconsin, but, don't want to take the kids out of school at the start of term. Our club are doing Roth, I fancy IMCH if I can't get in IMLP. May end up at roth though.

I promised the wife ( again ) that I wouldn't do another next year after a crappy race for me at IMA last week and IMDE in 2006. I'm now starting to think 3rd time lucky ! I can't help myself.
IronMelissa    pirate
14/07/2007 at 23:26
I might...
14/07/2007 at 23:31
Roth is 13th July and I reckon Wisconsin will be around September 7th or 14th.

"5 weeks after Norseman innit" yep, so doable ;-)

"Rosey I'd recommend being at your computer the second registration opens up" yep, I certainly will be, but a well worded email to the organisers before will help as I know they encourage international athletes.

ST, would be great to race alongside whether its Roth or in the states.

"I promised the wife ( again ) that I wouldn't do another next year after a crappy race for me at IMA last week and IMDE in 2006"

Get a coach, I can recommend a good one ;-)
14/07/2007 at 23:33
go on girl you know you want to ;-)
15/07/2007 at 01:43
I'm going to try and get into IM Canada which is probably mission impossible! So might look at doing this. Also entered IM Germany but plenty of time to recover so shouldn't be a problem.
15/07/2007 at 14:32
Send them an email Emmy telling them you are entering and asking for any tips etc and they may have a preferred entry for international athletes.
16/07/2007 at 05:09
Canada do give some international athletes entry but not sure how many, I'll send an email and see what happens. IM Wisconsin will give me more time to recover at least just have to be quick on the keyboard!
16/07/2007 at 05:20
I read somewhere that IM Canada is going to stop having online entry. So you have to show up in Canada to sign up for the race. Road trip anyone?
16/07/2007 at 05:30
This is from the IM Canada website:

When can I sign up for next year's race?

Subaru Ironman Canada has no online general entry. On-site entry opens the day after the race at 10:00 A.M. local race site time.

** PLEASE NOTE ENTRY POLICY CHANGES **
Beginning with the 2007 race entry, you will NOT be able to sign up another person at the on-site entry.
You will be required to show government-issued photo ID with your completed entry form to verify you as the named entrant. Please go to www.ironman.ca/07entrydetails.php for complete information
16/07/2007 at 08:05
it's a rather sad trend, essentially you can only enter that race if you are a) canadian b) very rich or c) did last year's race.
Iron Mike    pirate
16/07/2007 at 23:49
I did IM canada last year and its piss easy for internationals to get in. I sent off my form at the end of September and it was no problem. You need to e-mail the race office and request an international athlete form. They will mail it to you, you fill it in, and send it back with the cash-this can all be done online by e-mail, so no need for pen or paper. Get a reply back saying you're in, and away you go. No hassle at all. If you are Canadian, well yes, definitely a different matter. Stood in line with my mates last year as they signed up for this-the queue was a biggy alright!
17/07/2007 at 10:23
Cheers Mike.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.