IMDE to move?

You heard it here first

1 to 20 of 55 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/06/2008 at 17:30

For those Pirates contemplating a return to IMDE for whatever reason,  you may not get the chance to have a 2nd go at that course. Tthis month's national tri mag features a statement from the IMDE chief organiser saying they are giving serious consideration to moving the race to another city - there are apparently 4 vying to hold it. Some people living in the vicinity of the Finish area at Roemerberg have  complained to local authorities on the grounds of the race breaking the noise abatement laws- which do state noise after 10pm must be held to a minimum. Race officials concede the point, but maintain as the WTC rules say all IM competitors will be treated alike, late finishers have the same right to a loud reception as the early ones.

Rumours of a move across to nearby city of Wiesbaden were firmly denied on the grounds that city already hosts the German 70.3. Which probably means that's where it will be.

cougie    pirate
17/06/2008 at 17:34
Ha - I've already done it twice ! (Ok - one and two thirds then)

It would be a shame to lose the finish in Frankfurt though - its a great atmosphere. The city gains loads of dosh through the athletes and visitors - pity that some NIMBY can spoil it for everyone.
17/06/2008 at 17:34
Wiesbaden not a huge move though, Could we not lobby for somewhere a bit further north. Bonn/Cologne direction would suit me perfectly. Seriously though, I am considering this for 2009.
17/06/2008 at 17:37

Cougie, The apartment block my then bf lived in in Germany was older than 20 (I think) years. It was written into his lease that he had to give all visitors slippers after 10pm for noise abatement. The germans take their rules and regulations very seriously.

IW, ye got a smoking ban yet? Actually more importantly, has France got a smoking ban yet? I'm going to make all my IM decisions on the basis of where I can get the cleanest air from now on. Not China then! 

17/06/2008 at 17:38
how about Hamburg?? nice flat course - sort of Florida of Europe......without the sun.....and sand........and Yanks.......

17/06/2008 at 17:39
has France got a smoking ban yet??

yes
17/06/2008 at 17:40
sm - Cologne already has  a 226, it's on 7 September, I'm going. Seriously doubt they will put on a  2nd big race, that Sep weekend is huge, it has a sprint  and Corporate Cup race on Saturday, a half and full on Sunday, and a competition called 226 Extreme combiningg the sprint and the full, that's the one I'm doing.
17/06/2008 at 17:41
fb - Hamburg also already has a massive tri weekend on 5 and 6 July
17/06/2008 at 17:43
Freiberg/ Stuttgart direction? nip into france for lunch
17/06/2008 at 17:48
yes, there's a smoking ban here but in true German fashion virtually impossible to decipher - the Government in their wisdom decided to allow each State to make its own law. The basic law says  smoking is allowed only in a separate, completely enclosed area. Some owners of one-room bars and cafes went to court alleging their financial existence was endangered, and an interim ruling was issued that one-room establishments can for the time being allow smoking. Beer tents at fests are also exempt.
17/06/2008 at 17:52

more likely to end up in Munich I'd have thought.

Iron Mike    pirate
17/06/2008 at 17:57
Oh no, that would be terrible. Frankfurt is an awesome venue! I'm off there in a couple of weeks for my third trip around the course, and its great. Would be a shame to lose it off the calendar. Bet the local businesses will be sad to see it go too if it does-must bring in millions to the region!
17/06/2008 at 18:01
say each competitor spends a minimum of €200, and each person brings one sherpa with them, thats a minimum of a million euros extra in Frnakfurt every year. Personally, I think 200 is modest though so it's likely to be much more.
oxymoron    pirate
17/06/2008 at 18:28
how about berlin, that would be cool
18/06/2008 at 06:02
yeah, we could swim in the lake or the Spree! And roads around Berlin are pretty wide, would be good for cycling. I lurrrrv Berlin!
cougie    pirate
18/06/2008 at 08:29
It always rains in hamburg so not going there for a race - if i want rain i can do the vit ?
18/06/2008 at 11:18
well it more often than not rains in Switzerland - raced there in summer 4 times (not in IM) and got rained on 3 out of the four.
The Trickster    pirate
18/06/2008 at 12:28
Why not hold it in Roth?
G-Sport    pirate
18/06/2008 at 13:09
Papenburg or Bremen would be nice
18/06/2008 at 13:34

would be good if they moved it to france, or denmark

it's a well known fact that all germans are xenophobic boors with no sense of humour

1 to 20 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.