IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Just made decision....!

261 to 280 of 961 messages
27/01/2013 at 12:23

Swim coach was excellent cheers Kav, he shows me training exercises to introduce and picks at my technique.  The bloke is a heluva nice fella and really builds my confidence.

he pushed me on to finish my lesson with a non stop10 lengths (first time without pausing for breath)

All in all i did over 2km yesterday. Swimming seems to be coming together, gonna try my wetsuit in the pool either next week or week after just to see difference.

now....QUESTION:  Am i opening a bag of worms saying this...but..coming from a running background, runners (i would say 80% of us anyway) seem to wear hi-viz stuff.  ...Out on the bike this morning and it would seem that in this area all the cyclists seem to wear black clobber (well at least 50%), Why is that?? i think just as/if not more important to be seen on a bike than running??.........(worms going everywhere!!!).

Temting to stay in bed this morning blowing a hoooly today, got a good cycle in though, knee sore at start then tends to ease off, only about 13.5mph average but got lots of hills in!

29/01/2013 at 07:18

Morning all,

Week 4 and for a change i made sure complete rest yesterday...no leisurely swim...no gym sess...nothing...and it felt goooood!   Obviously straight back to a swim and run tonight, no sprint training though, trying to still be sensible with the knee.

Anyone got any races planned for this year in preperation for the big one!??

29/01/2013 at 09:36

Morning guys!  Tylertonka, I always wear hi-viz on the bike.  

Races planned -- Isca Duathlon (Apr), Blaenavon Tri (May), Grafman (half, June).

29/01/2013 at 10:14

Hey DTT, Hi-Viz is the only way to go, just amazes me when i see anyone running/cycling in that dusky time with dark gear on!

Yeah i did our grand prix races last year but just concentrating on races that tie in with training this year.  The furthest tri i will do is Roadford Lake Olympic distance.  Not sure thats far enough in prep but am worried about saving my knee from too far in competitive use!

Grafman sounds tough, have you done that one before?

29/01/2013 at 11:16

Morning all

Excuse my lack of posts, my itband gave in on me nearly 2 weeks ago and I have hardly done a thing, Physio straight away then massage with spikey ball every second day. Daily standard rolling, my thigh is black with bruises together with icing, Ibuprofen by the dozen as well. Im not the best at being injured

Hopefully over the worst as the pain is now more in the areas that are bruised, which to be honest is most of the side of my leg and calf!!.

Back upto 8k on the bike in the gym this morning and may, just may try a commute to work on my bike which is about 12.5 miles, then train it home.. The train?!?!?!?. I have never seen so many rude and miserable people whilst commuting and that has been my main aim to get back onto the bike.

Speaking of bike TT it is true most of the gear these days is black!!!. I do wear (in the winter) my Decathlon orange jacket. I have a ruck sack with the usual high viz covering and shall we say a selection of good lights on both back and front and on my helmet.

TT you said you wanted to try your wetsuit in the pool, is it outside, if not you may have to ask first as you could scare off half the natives!!, if its during a club training session all well and good, but and a big but remember a pool's avg temp is about 27-28 degrees and if your in a wetsuit you are going to cook. It could be far too warm for you, please bear that in mind, the reason for a wetsuit is to protect from the cold

Edited: 29/01/2013 at 11:32
29/01/2013 at 11:51

Speaking of bike TT it is true most of the gear these days is black!!!.

Maybe me just noticing a few in black, cant understand anyone not wearing hi-viz.

Its my IT band giving me grief on my knee.  I do same ice/emulgel/some pain relief.  Seems to be getting slightly better but staying off hills and listening to it when it says STOP..PAIN! There is specific stretching and exercises (and yes the golf ball!) which help also and i wear a chopat religously, highly recommend one of these for running to help with your IT band.  Deep tissue massage also helps and thats proper pain but v v good for it.

Sounds like you may be on mend which great news

29/01/2013 at 12:33

DO you do the golf ball into your knee area or along the whole IT ban. There is a wealth of informaiton on IT band stretching, bit as some are saying it is very difficult to stretch it due to its sheer strength.

I wear a knee support, there are all sorts that cost around £10, but I got mine from the poundshop and I swear it is exactley the same as what i got on wiggle last year for about £15!!!.

My wife is currently training for a sports massage course so when the tabkle is up in the back room with her clients I am on it straight after!

When I went to the physio my notes stated that I have IT probelms in Jan 2011, Jan 2012, Apr 2012 and now Jan 2013!!!!. At least im consistant. The pervious occasions though I have had more right calf issues.

remember TT. The human body is an awesome instrument, which we all take for granted. Its tells us when we are doing things wrong or doing too much of something. We would all benefit more from listening to it.TT your body has spoken to you and I can tell you are listening!!!. very wise

29/01/2013 at 12:55

I will still recommend a Cho Pat it has slightly different properties and is specific to this injury.  I would also suggest tights when running or cycling (not Fishnets unless its cycling on a saturday night!!) just for time being to keep muscles in that area warm.

Exercises, squats and lunges are good but just as good is lyeing on the sofa strectched out and lifting each leg (pointed and taut) just up in the are about 6", for 30 goes on each...do as many (in sets) as you are comfortable with.  This really builds the muscle in the right area and you can watch 'Splash' while you doing it!

Link to Cho Pat....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cho+pat&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=8235877729&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18507894771192617104&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_a19han0df_b

You may get cheaper from a medical supply on line shop, just remember to check sizing if you do go for one (all slightly different).

Sounds good having the massages at home...watch out for the pain infliction though!

29/01/2013 at 13:22

http://www.amazon.co.uk/876-Medical-Silicone-Vibration-Dampening/dp/B005HWCR34/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is this what you are wearing as the one in the link above does not seem to have any refernce to itb support and is worn under the knee where as the above one is worn over the knee.

29/01/2013 at 13:34

Hi Bones,

Its this one:

CHO PAT Knee Support Strap by Mueller

Also the deep tissue really gets the knots outs and really helps the IT Band, worth doing every coupla months no matter how painful!!

29/01/2013 at 22:06
Hey bones, when I first had problems with my knee about 3 years ago, I was told it was caused by my it band, I was then pointed towards the chopat. The physio told me this takes the pressure off it by supporting under the knee cap. All I can say is that ( barring messing my cleats up and aggravating my knee) I have sworn by using one ever since. Shop around, it worked for me, if you did then I would deffo go for the proper chopat brand.

Nice run and swim tonight, seafront blowing a proper hoooly, it's good running when it's nice but you can't beat a seafront run run with the wind and rain in your face...ace!!
30/01/2013 at 11:06

TT many thanks for the advise, I have and will read more into it. I always though try to get to the root cause of the problem so as not to mask it each day, our training levekls are going to hit the roof soon and I want to be ready. Im already re looking at my hip flex's and have found a good  clip which may (or may not help). I will try anything once, twice if I enjoy it

http://www.runnersworld.com/video?moreUrl=http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1243489102/bclid1497991481/bctid1368763974?src=rss&utm_source=Strength+Running+Newsletter&utm_campaign=9a72275cc4-Strength+%26+Core+Routines&utm_medium=email

I may just take a couple from this and see if it helps. I can already feel through all the rolling etc that my right leg feels different from my left so I need to make sure whatevere I do I do it on both legs.

Well done on your run mate dont get much sea spray up here. Did my first cycle commute for a couple of weeks this morning, coasted as much as I could and didnt try to overtake everything in sight. All felt good

I was fixing the washing machine last night and tried getting the drain value open and as I was putting loads of pressure on it something in my wrist ripped so I now have that strapped up as well, but at least the pain from that is taking my mind off the leg.

Learn to acceot and love pain

30/01/2013 at 14:40

If it helps description wise, the pain i get is like a piece of duct tape going vertical up knee cap and the more it bends the more the duct tape pulls!

Sounds like you not having a good run of luck but doing right things.

Cycle/run brick tonight...indoors...then maybe liverpool can pull off a win in our battle for 8th place!!

30/01/2013 at 21:05
Hey Joddly, hope you feeling better, my eldest daughter now has cough and feeling 'bungy', these bugs just seem to continually go around and around so hope you shaken it.

Good brick tonight, lots of sweat, ice pack on and Liverpool 1 up,..... can it last!
31/01/2013 at 08:49

Morning all

Things are looking good for you TT, well done on the training, the ice and the football!!.

I did cycle home last night then stretched and rolled for about half an hour. Good to be back on the roads again.

Got drenched coming in today and tonight will either do a swim or run depending on how everything feels, wrist is buggered though, but as I said I can cycle and will be able to run, its just the turns on the swim.

Where is everyone else?, out training I hope

31/01/2013 at 09:33

Morning!

Sorry to hear about everyone's knee / wrist problems.

I think it's really important to accept that injury is always lurking somewhere, to recognise it early, and to accept that there will need to be  a period of stopping / backing off training. The hard part is recognising when you're at a point that you can build back into training, and being honest with yourself if you realise you've tried to comeback too soon. But it's all part of the challenge, and the key to consistency.

I'm back into something resembling a routine this week - Monday rest, Tuesday swim/turbo, Wednesday run. I'm off work today and planning a "long" (but only 3hrs) bike - should be a nice day for it, if a bit windy. I definitely feel lacking in longer rides at present, but with 6 months to go, that's probably not a very valid concern!

AndyB99    pirate
31/01/2013 at 20:10

hey people how you bin....just catching up with this......I wear a high vis jacket for cycling...or a pirate to (almost the same) in the summer ....but for running even at night i dont bother...though i dont run on the roads if i'm at night....go routes where theres a pavement

Just a word about injuries and especially niggles......Thats the 'fear' playing tricks on you....you'll always have something that hurts...and you'll always worry about it....this intensity of training isnt supposed to be comfortable (i have PF in my left foot that i just cant get rid of)....you'll have knee....shoulder....ankle.....wrist....neck...back......problems for the next six months....try not to dwell on em....if it hurts so much you have to stop....dwell on it then....if you can keep going....then keep going....cause on the day you'll have 12-16 hours with nothing to think about but the pain!!!    and its all about how you manage it!

was out on part of the course today....Mad Mad wind up by the lonely tree!!! daft to go out in that but hey ho...we're obviously daft

keep it up

IronChris68    pirate
31/01/2013 at 21:39

I'll be at the lonely tree on Saturday afternoon, at the end of my ride and will be loking forward to a few miles back home and a sleep in the bath!! not intentionally but...

01/02/2013 at 09:28

Yaaaaah everyone is back.

Its good we can talk about the acceptance of pain. January has gone some how and I was looking at my diary dairy last night and for me it was a bit of a washout. Knee is still holding up did my 13mile cycle commute last night then tried a 2 mile run and all good, iced and rolled straight after.

Didnt cycle in today as had to be up at 2.30am to get my son to school by 3.30 for a trip to Poland, but the coach didnt turn up until 4.15am! so gave up any chance of sleep by the time I got home so took the train

How did your bike go Joddly?.

I must find somewhere to stay this weekend as well before everything gets booked up.

01/02/2013 at 19:26

Evening all. 

Yesterday's bike was a bit tiring, and parts of it were almost beyond my gears and brakes. I've been down in Devon for a couple of days (hi TT!) and there are some rough and lumpy roads around. I was on my CX bike with knobblies, and there was one hill which nearly had me walking as I could barely turn the pedals and the wheel was spinning - then on the way down my very sloppy brakes were alarmingly feeble. Very scenic, though!

Legs were tired for today's 2hr run, so it didn't help that almost half was on stupidly muddy coast path. Cue jelly legs and a massive fade towards the end of the run.

Andy - I'm not sure I agree entirely with your philosophy on what to do when something hurts during training, especially as we get less good at mending as we get older - but fortunately we also get better at recognising what we can and can't train through too. The most important thing is not to ask for any advice on here !

Bones, I hope you get a chance to catch up on sleep this weekend.

OK - Friday night - time to party..... not!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.