IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Just made decision....!

321 to 340 of 960 messages
20/02/2013 at 09:14

Morning all,

Spin class last night for an hour then 14 mile cool down cycling home (im sure I have got something wrong here!)

80 lengths in the pool this morning and am now eating everything in sight.

TT, After a long bike and all the stretching icing etc Ie uther run straight away then rest the legs on the Sunday or if running on the Sunday treat the Monday commute as a recovery ride, no racing just plod along to ease the legs back in again.

I sent my garmin back to them on Monday and for £50 as I registered it 4 years ago I get a new one (we shall see!!!)

I tend to eat drink the same on the bike which see me through my rides ok, but will need to ensure I cram as much as I can in without any adverse effects. Tend to have drink, energy bars, salt roll and gels.

We all get good and bad training weekends TT, as you said out it behind you and focus on the next session.

20/02/2013 at 13:01

Do any of you get many emails from the Ironman group. I entered and got my email confirmation last September, but have heard very little since. Im not expected loads, but just the odd one here and there. I have tried to find a list of the "runners and riders" just so as I can see my name, but to no avail. Im sure all is well as they have my money, but was just thinking if we were all the same.

Quick Update, Just rung them and they said im in and have to do it

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 16:59
20/02/2013 at 19:41
Yeh, hadn't really thought about it. I paid the money and I think I got a receipt somewhere but there's no entrants lis that I can see. I'm gonna have to presume I gotta do it as well!

Sounds good service fom garmin to replace, what type have you got? I used to get trouble with my 405 and had to update software as battery kept draining. I have the 910 tri thing now so must get my 405 on eBay!

I am trying to suss out high 5's 2-1 and 4-1 drink mixes, seem good. I've always used lucozade gels for running but hard o get hold of now. Wiggle have just had 2 for 1 on high5 gels which aren't too bad. A friend of mine said he took babybels with him for the race to have something savoury.....sounds tempting!
22/02/2013 at 09:08

morning all

Hoping for a good training weekend, but we have had a few flakes of snow this morning. As long as it holds off I shall be out there with my 72 layers on!!. Hope you all have a great training weekend

22/02/2013 at 09:29
I was going for a 40miler tomorrow morning but not sure i can wear enough layers to do it! It is chuffing bitingly freeeeeezing.
Hats off if you go for it bones!
22/02/2013 at 13:12

I havent gone yet and if I were you I would leave your hat on!!

25/02/2013 at 08:12

Hi everyone things are a bit quiet on this forum, I hope it's because you all is well and out training.  

Had another great day out on the bike yesterday, 70 miles, 5400 ft of climbing in 4hrs 10mins. I was with a group of riders of a excellent standard and managed to hang on for 62 of the 70 miles before getting dropped on the last climb. Four riders turned off following the climb down from Sheephouse (25 miles) and one more rider dropped off at around 60 miles.

There is absolutely no way I would have covered that course in 4hrs 10mins by myself, I hasten to add. Apart from a few miles on the front at the start, I spent the remainder of the time mid pack or desperately trying to hang on at the back. To be fair at times the group cut me some slack and eased off the pace allowing me to catch up and re group. 

It was a really hard challenging morning out, but extremely rewarding.  My riding is definitely improving by cycling with riders of a better standard. There are no quick and easy ways to improve the only way is to get out there brave the elements and suffer!!!   

Swim for me today. Give my little legs a rest. 

Have a good week.

25/02/2013 at 09:02

Morning all

80 miles on Saturday oin the bike, but was interupted several times by bouts of heavy snow!!. the worst of it was up in the South Downs so I couldnt do ,much about it, other than grin and bare it. Climbed 6970ft, 5 hours 43min. It was very very cold and the heavy snow I had that covered the roads going out had gone on my return and I got sunshine instead!. very strange. FInished with a 5 mile run off the bike after thawing out my feet with a hairdryer!

8 mile run yesterday morning in 1hr 2 mins,

Rest day today, even came into town on the train. I just wish it would warm up a bit.

Well done Stephen on your ride, great timings, There was a big bike event yesterday so my usual training lot were in it. I did not get a place so cycled alone on Saturday, which was good for the mind, or not!!

25/02/2013 at 19:43

Not bad Mr Falconer, there's always time for a good 'Bi' joke!

Didn't manage 40miles as my feet were frozen and all feeling had gone from my fingers...clocked 25 miles saturday followed by swim and coach in afternoon.  Brick session sunday which went well.  So happy with the weekend.

Great riding Bones and SKav really good stuff especially with the weather and freeeeeezing conditions!

26/02/2013 at 21:43
Felt drained yesterday so made sure complete REST day, starting to realise how important rest/ recovery days are!
Good sprint and nice easy swim tonight, nothing too crazy, more energy, looking forward to 45 min turbo and 15 min run tomorrow......
And added bonus found a local under advertised duathlon literally on the doorstep in march....'brucey bonus duathlon'.......entered! Good timing cold do with a nice race!
27/02/2013 at 20:34
45/15 brick done, toes still started to freeze on turbo in garage but running machines inside in the warm!
Starting to enjoy bricks (doesn't sound quite right but hey ho!)!
28/02/2013 at 10:27

Sorry I've not been on but not much to say tbh.

Sounds like you are all getting down to some serious training though.

update on my training :- bike most Sundays and started to do one long ish run a week. still no swimming.

28/02/2013 at 21:04
Hey woody, good to hear from you again. This forum a bit stop/start, I think this has to be down to most people either working...training....eating....training...family time....sleeping...or .....training! .....well that's deffo my excuse anyway!

It'll all come together. What sort of mileage are you up to on the bike?
01/03/2013 at 08:23

Hi guys,

I'm around, but again not much to say recently. Hoping that March will bring new motivation, better biking weather, and particularly some proper long bike rides - I still haven't got beyond 3 hours and it's starting to worry me.

I'm heading for Box Hill tomorrow morning for my sixth Ballbuster duathlon, but my first with no marathon training. It will be interesting. The plan is to go straight up to the Triathlon show afterwards, though I've done this before and don't expect to be in a fit state to get much out of it!

TT - wise words about rest days. Knowing when to back off has got to be the key to consistency.

Happy training .

01/03/2013 at 10:37

Cheers TT Only 40+ miles on Sunday mornings, I know it's not a lot per week, but it's far more than I've done in the past at this time of year, so quite pleased with myself.

All the best Joddly.

02/03/2013 at 18:39
9.5 mile run this morning then as I was going into gym I was press ganged into an impromptu spin class....then a good swim!
Gardening jobs this afternoon followed by a nice family dinner out....and to top the whole day off...Liverpool are winning!!
Hope everyone good. I have planned a haytor on the moors cycle tomorrow. Try and keep up with everyone's cycling!
03/03/2013 at 16:37
Hey joddly, I have just done my FIRST 40 mile cycle! It certainly is a whole new world of distance! But I am happy at that and hopefully have time to still build my miles. I do have that 60 mile race soon....should be another barrier crossed...hopefully. How was the show??
03/03/2013 at 19:34

TT it sounds as though your training is ticking along just fine. You really have a great approach to it all, and with 5 months to go that's essential!

I'm now Ballbusted again until the autumn - it's a tough race (are there any that aren't?), but it feels good to cross the finish line. I was slightly slower than last November but now I'm in the "old ladies" category, and there were only 2 of us in it, so another technical win there! It was pretty cold, and both runs felt tougher than before, so I definitely think it's a race for marathoners.

The Triathlon show was a bit of a slog after all that. I didn't even attempt to go along to the running workshop I'd booked into. Saw Chrissie and Helen mingling with the masses. I'd also arranged to look at the Boardman TT bikes - this wasn't an unqualified success as CB himself was on the stand at the time, and anyway they didn't have a bike in my size (XXL) to try. And I really don't need a TT bike. And Bolton apparently isn't a TT bike course. And it's SRAM. And there's nowhere locally to buy one. And I'd have to show a big improvement at the local TTs.So at the moment, I'm not any further on.

Feeling pretty stiff and sore today, but went out with Mr J for a 90 minute "coffee ride" which has loosened things up a bit.

How was Haytor, TT?

03/03/2013 at 21:27
'twas great, nothing on the roads and a bloomin great hill to get there....but really enjoyed my first 40 miler, haytor gave me a goal to get there as well so no turning back was allowed!
So bolton no good for tri bars??
03/03/2013 at 21:41

I think tri bars are OK, because you've got a road bike underneath, but the lack of control of a TT bike isn't.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.