IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Just made decision....!

21 to 40 of 960 messages
01/09/2012 at 19:25
Anyone got a Defy 5 and give me their verdict????
01/09/2012 at 19:27
Cheers m...eldy, keeping options open, it certainly does seem like there are a lot of deals.
Best thing to hold fire maybe?
M...eldy    pirate
01/09/2012 at 19:58

I think whatever you decide it is the law of sod that you will find it cheaper the next day\

The main thing is to ensure that the bike and the wetsuit fit you .. if they dont then it wont be money well spent!

01/09/2012 at 20:43
Anyone got a Defy 5 and give me their verdict????
02/09/2012 at 16:18

I've got a Defy 4, it's my first road bike and I love it, reliable, fast, smooth.  Entry level, so I probably don't know what I'm taking about .... never ridden a £4k monster.  Maybe one day.

But that looks like a great deal.  

See you in Bolton!  I'm a newbie too, hoping it'll be on 28th July (my 44th).

02/09/2012 at 18:19
Cheers DTT, seems good deal and giant defy seems to get good feedback.

Have you started training yet? Are you runner,rider,swimming background?

Swimming worries me....hopefully few lessons will sort!

If not may look at plan b, which will be half ironman first. Unfortunately I am all gung ho to just go for the full kahoona first off and then never ride a bike or swim again!
02/09/2012 at 18:28

Yeah, training for other races -- tris, marafuns, ets -- so working towards a good base fitness for when I start dedicated IM training in 2013.  Plan A should involve a half-IM first anyway.  Read 'IronFit' by Fink, really inspiring and it has lots of clear, concise advice about how to fit in training.  And three great 30 week training plans (for differing levels).

02/09/2012 at 19:14
Cheers again DTT, Ironfit - bought - downloaded and ready for a a read this fine Sunday eve....looks a v good start place...cheers
02/09/2012 at 19:39
Cheers DTT, seems good deal and giant defy seems to get good feedback.

Have you started training yet? Are you runner,rider,swimming background?

Swimming worries me....hopefully few lessons will sort!

If not may look at plan b, which will be half ironman first. Unfortunately I am all gung ho to just go for the full kahoona first off and then never ride a bike or swim again!
02/09/2012 at 20:01

As for swimming, I started not being able to swim a length front crawl, now I can do 800m comfortably (with a few rest breaks).  That's nowhere near good enough yet, but it does show that continuous improvement is possible.

02/09/2012 at 21:25
How did you start with the swimming??
Swimming is defo the worry for me!
03/09/2012 at 07:36
Fink book looking good....already thinking " just finish " as the programme to go for!
03/09/2012 at 08:59
Anybody else find that their 'wife( boss)' was none to happy about time needed to train for this = less family time??

Will she come around?
Will it be stupid o'clock training mornings?
....and many many more questions and riddles!!
03/09/2012 at 09:51

Tylertonka ... I found a coached swimming class close to where I live and went there, as well as going on my own to practice what I was taught.

As for wife -- you need her support.  Mine isn't all gung-ho-this-is-wonderful, but she does understand my passion and determination and she's behind me.

And yes, stupid o'clock!  No better way to start the day than with a half mile swim or an 8 mile run....

10/09/2012 at 18:34

Entry opens Monday, date is the 4th August 2013.

Time to put some money where your mouth is!

10/09/2012 at 18:42
Yeh, got the pre- reg email today and I am all ready to sign up for blood sweat and tears!......however I have a slight fly in the ointment being that I have only just found info on the 'Outlaw', which looks pretty good also.
Looks good course, good reviews, good atmos and bit cheaper ( also slightly nearer for me!)
Any thoughts!
Is outlaw the way to go?
Obviously Ironman has the name and I train on hills so may prefer hilly Bolton, with registration opening today I don't want to miss the Ironman Entry Boat!
Any thoughts......?
seren nos yn canu    pirate
10/09/2012 at 19:08

lots of us will be at Outlaw.there is a thread on here............and don't worry Bolton never sells out

10/09/2012 at 19:15
Cheers seren, don't won't to make rash/wrong decision!
Have you done outlaw?...what are main diffs between iron and out?
Is it all in the name!?!?
seren nos yn canu    pirate
10/09/2012 at 19:20

supported at Outlaw this year and doing it next year............its a flatter course than bolton and seems really well organised......

I haven't done Bolton as it seems to usually be split transitions which i'm not keen on...and its had some problems but loads seem to have enjoyed it.....

It is just really a name.....

I can see Bolton being good for those who work in schools as its in the holidays.

10/09/2012 at 20:02
Thanks again seren,
Now for a real imuk newbie question......
'what do you mean by split transition?? I get the transitions time, is this all you mean??
Newbie...newbie...yeh I know!!
21 to 40 of 960 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.