IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Just made decision....!

441 to 460 of 962 messages
26/04/2013 at 08:18

100 days to go, so it must be week 16 of a 30 week programme.....

It seems a bit early to be in the sea! Also, apart from getting used to cold water, I haven't found swimming in the sea replicates lake swimming much. It's mostly because of the increased buoyancy, but also waves and swell tend to make you increase body roll and do funny things with your arms, which you don't need in a lake.

It's going to be another month before I do any useful OW swimming, though I think I've entered an 3.8k race on 29th May so it would be good to have at least done something before then.

Have you thought about the Dartmoor Demon TT?

27/04/2013 at 19:34

Hi all, 

new to this forum business but have been keeping an intermittent eye on most of the posts. With less than 100days (and a 3week holiday in between) I am now beginning to really panic and wonder if I have done enough??!! 

I have my first marathon tomorrow in Stratford so hopefully that will help to settle some running concerns, however I haven't swam open water yet (planned for next week) and I'm only up to 60 miles on the bike. Anyone else this far behind? I have 6 weeks planned out of which by holiday i will have covered the distance required for all disciplines but still can't help but panic!

Does anyone have any recci's of the bike course planned for any point mid to the end of May? 

Any advise GRATEFULLY received  

28/04/2013 at 19:26

Hey joddly, you know all the races!  Unfortunately I didn't know about the demon and have taken the Friday off work for an 80 miler attempt, probably best not to knock my confidence again yet anyway!

welcome aboard mickey, nice little forum this so I'm sure we'll all help/advice and stuff.  This is my first imuk and I am pretty similar to you trai biggest worry is deffo the bike but I just keep trying to o'clock the miles in, when I am really not enjoybike the bike I try and picture the finish line with someone calling my name!  (It does help!)

28/04/2013 at 19:41

Try again, my keypad had a mind of its own!

Think we on week 17?  And you are right mickey panic settleing in.  What i meant was picturing the finish line with the announcer calling out "you are an Ironman" if definitely gives me a boost when i down or or having a bad session.

Nearly went in the sea for my first ow swim...next week, deffo!   Did manage a 1.5mile swim saturday though so chuffed with, felt pretty good as well.

29/04/2013 at 07:10

Week 17 people!!

and its that day of the year where all exited to enter the VLM ballot for the SEVENTH time of trying, fingers crossed for this year.  Look forward to the dissapointment of septembers 'Unlucky' magazine......not this year, come on...... OPTIMISM!!!

29/04/2013 at 09:09

Morning all, sory not been posting much.

Nearly went in the sea TT, you must be mad, although its time I started some lake swimming, may give it another week to warm up a bit!

Full training week last week, but didnt get a chance to post so this weekend was

Saturday  100.5 miles on the bike, cool and gusty I think would be fair to say weather wise. 5 mile run off after

Sunday 14 mile run in the morning.

This morning 80 lengths in the pool.

Have had problems with my garmin again so it went back for a second time, got it back in time for the weekend though.

How you all doing?

29/04/2013 at 14:39

First sprint triathlon of the year for me weekend just gone - PB by 3 mins on a course I've done about 10 times before.  It's usually my opening and closing race of the year, so I'm pretty happy.

This Saturday coming, I've got a 107 mile ride with a group of friends, then two weeks after that my first Half-Ironman since 2011.

So far so good, more than happy with progress.  I think the next 12-13 weeks will go really quickly!!

30/04/2013 at 11:24

Anyone know the deal with the IMUK Pasta Party?

Is it at the Reebok?  Are families welcome? How do you book?

30/04/2013 at 14:30

Im thinking of staying there, going to book this week. Dam calf is sore again

30/04/2013 at 14:44

We're at the Premier Inn at the Reebok, so at least Expo, Registration, Pasta Party, Briefings etc are close.

I will have wife and two boys (6 and 4) with me - the boys are doing Ironkids on Saturday Morning.

I see on the race instructions from last year that they ask for certain race numbers to come at certain times to rack at T1.  Well if my time doesn't tie in with Ironkids, I'll be coming after that.

I'm arriving on Friday Lunchtime, register straight away and then check in to the Hotel.

30/04/2013 at 21:37

Well done on the sprint tri timmy, great going.

we're coming down Friday afternoon at staying at last drop village, hopefully not too far away.  

hope calf is ok bones, have you tried compression socks?

nerves keep kicking in a bit now!!

30/04/2013 at 22:25

Hi Micky a few of us on here are local, I'm sure if you put a shout out when you are ready I or someone else will be cycling the route.

Sort of brick session at the weekend, cycled 14 mile to Manchester marathon ran it hoping for a sub 3:30 but lost it at the usual spot 6 mile from the end hung on for 3:39 then cycled back home.........................slowly.

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 22:26
30/04/2013 at 22:30

Great start to the season, Timmy - that has to be a sign of great things to come!

Sorry about the calf, Bones, is it sore everywhere or just in one spot?

I'm at the Reebok too, though probably not going to the pasta party - too many fit-looking people!

I seem to be in a mood-swinging phase, where one good training session feels OK, while a bad one, like the cr*p time trial I did this evening, completely wipes out that feeling and has me full of doubts and gloom. Not that speed over a 10 mile flat course is likely to have much to do with 112 miles of up and down anyway. A bit of positive thinking and belief in consistency of training is required...

03/05/2013 at 09:45

Whats your plans for the bank holiday weekend, Lots of training, taking it easy on holiday or somewhere between the two?

03/05/2013 at 10:49

107 mile ride planned for tomorrow, then for the rest of the weekend, Coach says 90min run Sunday then 2hour brick Monday, but wife says Mowing the Lawn Sunday then Family Barbeque Monday...

03/05/2013 at 17:38

Ha ha sounds about right.

Iv'e a 10mile fell race tomorrow, should get a ride in at some point over the weekend and Pennigton Flash is open for swimming on monday

03/05/2013 at 17:51

im resting up this weekend, cant now feel whther my calf is hurting through an injury or whether its ice burns!!!!. Physio tomorrow and the scary thing is its the same injury which I have had over the last 3 years I think and i have called him and my injury cropped up in Jan & Apr 2010,  Jan and July 2011, Jan and Apr 2012 and this year Jan and it actually went in April!!!!!!!. Scary!!

Happy training everyone, I shall be back soon, I can always swim in the lake, now theres a thought!

04/05/2013 at 18:46

Hey all!

How did ride go Timmy?

Chin up Joddly, i think we are in the proper up and down mood phase (i'm feeling very similar!).

Hope calf feeling better Bones.  I done my first 80miler yesterday with a 3m jog after.  All felt reasonably ok, stomach turning at 70miles, my instep on right foot v sore, big toe in pain, but generally ok.  However today my right knee doesn't want to play anymore!  Resting it today and tomorrow and fingers crossed for monday.  Really glad to have hit 80miles and it was across our glorious Dartmoor hills so plenty of ups and downs!

12 weeks doesnt seem far away!  Confidence is up and down, diet is toooing and froing, injuries seem very easy to come by, and in a minute race day will be upon us.  Deffo gettting into scary times!!!

05/05/2013 at 17:51

Rest day today.

itching to get in the sea....looks lovely!

itching to test the knee!

........rest day!!!!

06/05/2013 at 15:57

Good ride on Friday, TT - looks like I followed you round some of it the next day. I'm glad I didn't know about some of the climbs beforehand - the Dartmoor Demon is a bit of a killer! Don't test the knee too soon, rest is the way to make gains after a beasting on the moors .

Wood - impressive sneaky marathon training run.

Bones - hope the calf is getting a bit of R&R and healing up now.

Timmy - so how did the weekend go after all?

I had a complete rest day yesterday, and just a run and some stretching today, while enjoying the sunshine.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.