IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Just made decision....!

501 to 520 of 961 messages
24/05/2013 at 15:59

SK4, I think you'll be amazed how much better your OW swimming gets once it's a few degrees warmer. Though this may be a bit controversial, I don't think you should keep plugging on when you're cold and not swimming well, as you need to relax.

Timmy - good effort at Bedford. Are you sure it was the energy drink, though, that made you ill? I tried it for the first time yesterday and found it pretty palatable.

The weather is filthy here now - not going to help lake temperatures much! I had the crappiest of crap long runs this morning, with the only upside being that the deluge didn't start until I got back. In my last post I said I wasn't worrying about getting slower, but there is a limit....!

24/05/2013 at 20:35
Joddly, no worries mate you are probably right, good advice. Lets hope the weather takes a turn for the better sooner rather than later and the water warms up.

I did think maybe I was being a bit of a wuss with the cold but uncontrollable shacking, numb hands unable to grip clothing and zips is a sure sign of the onset of hypothermia.

In contrast the weather is pleasant here apart from the wind. I have just come back from a cracking 14 mile run @ ave 7.52 mpm pace. I have got to go to work now, 3 night shifts over the weekend.
24/05/2013 at 21:39

It might not have been the energy drink, but it was the only part of my nutrition that I'd not used before.  And it didn't taste too good coming back up

24/05/2013 at 22:23

Fear not Stephen Pennington Flash was 14.1  yesterday  and should continue to rise

25/05/2013 at 19:44
Cheers Woody, I will be back at the 3 sisters next Wednesday evening for another go.
26/05/2013 at 09:40

Morning people, not a good week here

Am fighting this calf problem, and told the family if its not sorted by next week I am not racing as I need to be prepared, saw an amazing physio who was one of a team who looked after our gb team at the Olympics and he said he can fix me!

2nd problem

me and 2 mates went out for a bike ride yesterday, all good until an old lady took 2 of us out in her car. I was in front and when she overtook my mate she went too close and knocked him clean off, I heard it turned round and she didnt see me. She went straight past pulled in and slammed her brakes on.Luckily for me I was knocked clean out so was relaxed before I hit the road. Didnt come round until after the police ambulances and helicopter had arrived!!! I had total memory loss to the extent of when my wife arrived i didnt know who she was and kept asking for her, she was showing me pictures of my kids but I didnt have a clue!

Anyway I got aware with severe concusion some stitches on my head brusies and some road burns so very very lucky.

Apparently whe i came round my first words were hows my bike. Seems fair enough to me!!

26/05/2013 at 12:54
How is the bike mate?
26/05/2013 at 13:00
Seriously Bones, I hope the Physio sorts out you calf and you can race. What with drivers and pot holes the roads can be a pain.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and I hope the bike is ok to.
28/05/2013 at 07:34

Hope you ok Bones, Roads getting busier with holidaymakers down here and it does raise the stakes a bit.

Its quite a tricky one to sort nutrition out Timmy so i am with you on that one, a fine balance.

Got my first century ride Saturday morning and a nice 18mile run yesterday so ticking along ok at mo.  Bit of ligament damage on my wrist, a sore big toe after the cycle for some reason?? and i need a root canal but otherwise ok!

Tuesday morning and a bit tired so far.....

28/05/2013 at 10:17

Rest day for me today - going to see Evita at the theatre tonight!!

Then swim tests tomorrow  200m/400m/1500m time trials.

Turbo on Thursday, Swim/Run on Friday, OW Swim on Saturday and the coach has me doing a 2-3 hour bike on Saturday, before the Outlaw Half bike on Sunday...

I guess, once I've pitched my tent on Saturday, I'm out riding the course, or at least part of it...

30/05/2013 at 08:14

Gosh, Bones, you must have given your brain quite a rattling the other day. I hope you've managed to rest up properly for a few days to recover. How's the calf responding to the new physio? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

TT - great weekend's training! Not surprising you're  a bit tired though, and probably starving too?

Timmy - I hope Evita and your rest day weren't marred by thoughts of dreaded swim tests the next day. Are you doing the Outlaw half bike as a relay? I did that last year for the full course, and it's great being able to slope off into the feed tent after handing over to someone else to slog round the run!

My training's going a bit slowly but steadily. Yesterday was my first 3.8k OW race of the year, and I came in my customary last place, but they kindly waited for me, and also drove over in a boat to give directions when I was bobbing about, lost (yes, it is a square lake....). 1.38 gives me plenty to work on, but on the positive side it's a huge relief simply to have completed the distance, in a pretty cold lake.

30/05/2013 at 09:47

Yes just the bike in a relay team.  My coach is doing the run and his fiance is doing the swim.

I'm looking forward to finishing the bike and hanging around supporting - there's normally no food left when I finish the Outlaw full 

Great job for finishing the 3.8k - no shame at all about being at the back.  I just see it as getting value for money for my entry fee

02/06/2013 at 21:02

Hey all, greats going on the swim jo, I'm still not at the 3.8 distance so I would have been splashing around behind you me thinks!

hope outlaw went well timmy, saw a few pics being posted on bookface and looked a great day for it!....swim looked hectic to say the least!

good training, gardening and being thoroughly exhausted weekend For me!!

03/06/2013 at 12:05

After a great Outlaw Half yesterday, I was reminded this morning that it's only 8 weeks on Sunday till IMUK...

Take taper out of it and that's only about 6 weeks of proper training left...gulp!!

I was really relaxed about this, but I think that's some nerves kicking in...

03/06/2013 at 12:25

I managed to get my first 100 bike ride for ages, dead slow and relatively flat but even did 30 minute run following it.  It's amazing what the sun does for you!

03/06/2013 at 19:33

Well done SS sounds like you a steady rider like me...just want to get to the run and I'll be happy!

i concur timmy.....GULP!  And I may go further and see your GULP and raise you a GULP!!

05/06/2013 at 09:10

Morning All

Ok, im back!

Last drop out day was yesterday and did not take it, back doing all this silly running swimming and biking and need to get myself back on track. Had a good weekend of training, not back to high mileage on the bike yet but that will come. Glad your all plugging away at this and also glad that the sun is finally out

Keep training people!

05/06/2013 at 11:55

Welcome back Bones!!

Having a very motivated week this week.  I'm happy with my fitness - my focus from now until August has to be food and more importantly eating less of it and more healthily.

I still need to shed some lbs before IMUK to make this fitness count.

05/06/2013 at 22:49

Hi Bones! Build back up carefully -  we don't want you injured again.....

Timmy, I almost have the opposite problem, as it's getting a real struggle to shovel down enough food these days.

Sue - well done on the century, and especially for getting the run done afterwards - that's tough when all you want to do is lie down with your legs in the air!

I'm still slightly knackered from the weekend, which included a half marathon on Saturday and a hilly 100 mile sportive on Sunday. My rear mech cable snapped towards the end - fortunately there were only a couple of minor hills left, but tackling them on the small cog was "over-gearing" training my legs really didn't need at that stage. I've had lead legs since!

06/06/2013 at 09:31

Morning

Thanks Joddly, will do, have done a 40mile bike, 8 mile run and a 2000m swim in the lido (wearing my wetsuit), but it was 6.30am and there were pleanty of others doing the same so I didnt feel out of place. AM planning to cycle to the coast this weekend and combine it into a family day out, will be about 80 miles. All good so far

Speaking of your cable, its the time when if we are going to change anything about our bikes we need to do it know so as we get used to how it feels. I am planning on getting new tyres so as they are worn in, My bike has had a good service after my little "incident" and I also have new brakes. Nothing new in the last month. Changing my running shoes a month before as well. I may need to change my brain as well!!!

The sun is still shining!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.