IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Just made decision....!

581 to 600 of 962 messages
28/06/2013 at 07:55

I'm with TT on the random slotting in of a short race.

We're meant to be doing this for fun, and frankly the IM training is becoming a real slog right now, so a "fun" race is just the business to make a change. I don't think you need to do a long-long ride every single week either.

I did my first Olympic distance (Dambuster) last weekend - it was a confidence-knocking distaster with an awful swim (we're talking breaststroking for the first third), a poor bike, and a bit of salvage on the run. But it still made a change, and set me up for the final IM training push.

PS also did a loop of the IMUK course - TT you need have no fears. Sheephouse Lane is like any number of hills in the South Hams - quite long but not very steep, and no big deal as long as you don't try to race up it.

I do agree about not running longer than an hour or so off a long bike, though.

Happy training!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
28/06/2013 at 09:48
stephen kavanagh 4 wrote (see)
I have read several training plans and spoke to a few IM vets who don't recommend running for over an hour following the long bike, some even say 30 mins is sufficient. They all say that as you tire run technique and form start to suffer and you become prone to injury. The other issue is recovery, you don't want to burn yourself out and be unable to complete training sessions following your long brick. In terms of how you will feel then it is unlikely that anyone will feel great 12 miles in to the run following a swim and 112 mile bike ride.

I disagree, I think there's a lot to be said for swapping one of your 100+ mile rides for an 80-90 followed by a 90 min to 2 hour run, if only to get in your head some idea of what running tired is going to feel like so you can do something about maintaining that technique and form.  You're right, injury can be a risk if you haven't got running miles in your legs but running off road rather than pounding the pavement will help avoid that.

I'd go with joddly on slotting in a short race if that's what you want to do - probably better than trying to cram in too many long rides because you think you haven't done enough.

28/06/2013 at 11:00
Joddly / CD, points duly noted. I will stick with the advice of Fink, Yelling, Wellington et al.

Have good weekend everyone.
28/06/2013 at 12:37

I've entered Liverpool Tri as a change and with the race being on the Saturday, I can hopefully do a decent ride on the Sunday.  I think mentally and physically, the short distance races can help - see you all on the 4th.

28/06/2013 at 14:10

My plan was cycle saturday, (up at 4.30am) for a good ride.

I had a good 9 mile run last night so happy with that.

Portishead - splash about in the pool.....cycle a bit then run like bug#er..Day!...quite looking forward to it!

Then.....day off work wednesday to hit a good century ride! 

Where's all the time going now???? 

I need some sleeeeeeeeeep!

Thanks for all comments guys...all taken in!

I concur...have great weekend folks!!

Edited: 28/06/2013 at 14:12
28/06/2013 at 14:56

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!! Race Instructions out and Race Numbers later today....

Excuse me while I go and change my pants...

29/06/2013 at 11:34

Anybody else can't get race instructions page??

thanks for calming my sheephouse lane fears Jo...

hope your tri goes well SS!

29/06/2013 at 11:38

I did get the race instructions, not got my number yet.

http://www.ironmanuk.com/images/documents_imuk/imuk%20instructions%20draft%202.pdf

29/06/2013 at 13:16

Cheers Timmy, but still getting 'error 404' when i try and follow link?  Any ideas anyone???

IronChris68    pirate
29/06/2013 at 17:45

1216, I'm not a number I'm a free man...

30/06/2013 at 05:08
TT - you should have an e mail from IMUK with your number and race details, I got mine late yesterday. Good luck with the tri and century ride.

I'm just getting ready to go and do some more laps.........
30/06/2013 at 05:49

Cheers SKav, yeah got a new email!  Scary stuff, time to start making lists!

......off to portishead for me then, quite looking forward to it, first 'sprint' distance tri for me!  

Cant wait for some late August lie ins!!

01/07/2013 at 09:51

Got my instructions. I like the bit where it says you are permitted to run, walk or crawl!!!.

Listened to all your advise and did a 60mile bike on Saturday, reason so low as I threw in a 2 mile lake swim the middle then carried on cycling with a D lock and dripping wetsuit.

Yesterday I waiting until late morning when the heat was coming through and did a 17 mile run. I didnt eat a thing in the morning so as to feel that extra bit drained and was suffering by the time I got to 15 miles. I alo burnt my shoulders on my bike on Saturday so was a bit of a wreck last night. Ended up going to bed at 7pm and sleeping right through!!

01/07/2013 at 11:05

I'm 976!!  And very excited that we're getting number tattoos

I've had a good week of training.  15 hours on top of work and 1029 TSS is my biggest week outside a full training camp.

Recce of the Bolton bike course on Wednesday where I did a couple of loops then a glorious 60 mile ride in the sun yesterday along with almost a 2 hour run on Saturday.

I feel comfortable that I know the bike course well now.  I think the key to it is not going mad on the 5 miles of climbing from the start of the loop to Belmont, then nailing the rest of the loop.  That's how I'm going to pace it anyway.

Two more weeks of hard training, then taper and we're there!!

01/07/2013 at 11:43

By the way, is anyone planning on going to or have experience of the Pasta Party?

Worth going? Worth taking the family to?

I'm in two minds.

01/07/2013 at 11:53

I'm a deffo, with family in tow!

Went to the Madrid Marathon Pasta Party and it was great, really gets you in the mood..  Bands, tension, anxiety, ....PARTY!!

Dont know what it will be like, but the Tonka gang is in!

Well done training Bones and Timmy!

Enjoyed my 'Sprint', just snuck in under 1.30 so happy!

01/07/2013 at 12:25

Great training Bones and Timmy, though it sounds as if you might have had a touch of sunstroke Bones! I think your bike pacing strategy sounds spot-on Timmy.

Good to hear the sprint went well too, TT, and I hope it gave you a bit of a confidence boost.

I haven't been to a pre-IM pasta party, though we had tickets last year for the Wales one. It was after the briefing but a bit on the edge of town, and I just wanted to get back so we binned it. The IMUK one is the same place as both the expo and briefing (and near my hotel!), so should be more appealing....Let's have a meet-up and pre-race wibble there?

I'm not massively happy with how I'm going at the moment. Training has been fairly consistent, but my swimming sems to be getting worse. I think my biking is about the same as last year, but long run pace isn't so good either and I'm wondering whether it  might have been a good idea to have done my usual Spring marathon after all. Of course it's quite hard to know how things are really going until race day after a taper, so I'm not panicking.

Happy training, all !

01/07/2013 at 12:31

Fantastic training Bones and Timmy - I did a long swim saturday am (4.5k), steady bike of just under 80 miles in the afternoon, followed by the Lancaster marathon on the Sunday. 

Started the marathon tired and finished feeling knackered, I guess we've all got that to come in 4 weeks

01/07/2013 at 12:47

Just filled in my Athlete Requirement Form - don't forget!!

https://ironmancrew.wufoo.eu/forms/ironman-uk-2013-athlete-requirements/

01/07/2013 at 13:00

I'm 141, its a 4 sandwich!

Feeling guilty cos i'm not feeling too knackered....but then i know what i have planned for myself next 6 days!!!!

Meet up at the Pasta Party sounds good, no food fights though!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.