IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Just made decision....!

741 to 760 of 961 messages
27/07/2013 at 10:05

TT - just itching for race now.  Did my last OW swim this morning and that went really well.  I just know next week at work will be a nightmare!!

Lots of list been made - I'm going to pack my transition bags tomorrow night so most things are ready.

I'm planning to do a full change in T1 and a full change in T2.  For the hours I'll be out there, the few minutes wasted are definitely made up for in comfort.

My biggest stress seems to be co-ordinating supporters to be in the same place at the right time avoiding the closed roads.  My parents are in a campsite on Horrobin lane, and my wife and kids are in the premier inn next to the Stadium.

27/07/2013 at 16:46

Yep, did a 2hr bike and 45 min run after and just want to get to race day now.

cleaning stuff and getting gear ready tomorrow!

8 days.....crazy!

28/07/2013 at 15:41

Just been and done a recce of the run, drove the first 6 miles from T2 to Lostock, then ran the canal path and up/down Chorley New Road. The first 8 miles look tough as old boots, especially the little hill from canal up to CNR, but the loop, although undulating feels nice under foot and quick (what goes up, must come down).

i know I didn't have 8-10hrs of racing in my legs, but it was quite reassuring that once on the loop it should be a case of steadily plodding home, no nasty shocks.

i hope everyone is well, I seem to be struggling with sleep at the mo as still got energy at bedtime!!

7 more sleeps!!!

28/07/2013 at 17:14

Cracking lay in this morning!

3hours working on bike this afternoon, lots of oily rags later, a pretty clean bike!  Bits of tightening, tool decisions on what to put in bag, all sorties.  

Packing time now!

this time next week eh!!!

IronChris68    pirate
29/07/2013 at 10:41

Righto, the offer of a car trip around the bike course still stnads for anyone interested, if you pm me via facebook, https://www.facebook.com/chris.aldred68 is me and we can arrange something for the Friday

Oh and as for the race, bring it...if I'm not ready I never will be

Cheers

Chris

29/07/2013 at 14:25

The trouble with tapering is that you no longer have so much control.

.... at least going out training you knew that to some extent you just had to work hard and that was going to help.

At this stage, you can't do that, and the uncontrollables like the weather, last minute work issues, ill people throwing their germs about etc, start to loom larger.

Must focus on managing the controllables, having plans B and C, and trying not to let it all get too much. Easier said than done.

Happy packing, all!

29/07/2013 at 15:01

I must stress i am a newbie who just took part in a measily sprint, but have signed up to the Challenge Wanaka in New Zealand IM.

So totally respect to everyone taking part on Sunday, good luck perform well and be safe.

29/07/2013 at 15:04
SloanRanger wrote (see)

i know I didn't have 8-10hrs of racing in my legs, but it was quite reassuring that once on the loop it should be a case of steadily plodding home, no nasty shocks.

I'll hold you to that...

29/07/2013 at 20:33

Cheers jb, and good luck with New Zealand, it will be quite a journey ( in more ways than one!).

anyone see the picture of ironman sign being put up in bolton on Facebook today?  That really got the pre-race  adrenaline juices going!!

29/07/2013 at 20:57

Ahh, Wanaka, such a beautiful race (with the toughest but prettiest run course funkin says he's done at Iron distance). The bike course is different now than when he did it in 2012 - but don't get too put off by people who bang on about it being hard, he said it was fine. One of the best things was that we parked our van in the car park 200m from the start/finish   Was awesome, you'll love it!

Now, back to the Sherpa Packing List.

30/07/2013 at 08:05

My brain is working overtime to protect my ego, Timmy. I know it's gonna be hell, but on that day it felt good 

i have had Ironman signs outside my house for the past week TT, for the road closures, everybody I speak to suggests it's my fault they will have to walk to work on Sunday.

final swim last night, felt good not to be trying to get a burn in, though as Joddly suggests it would be reassuring to put a good hard session in. I agree about this taper thing, didn't sleep well over weekend think my body still had at least 50 miles left in it at bed time!!

good luck with packing TT, gonna strip my bike down tonight for a deep clean.

30/07/2013 at 09:05

I ended up tidying the whole house last night I had so much extra energy, while my wife lazed on the sofa.  She must have thought I was after something - or hiding something

I seem to have aquired a sore throat and dry cough too.   Trying to counter that with lots of fruit.

Last short brick session later this afternoon, then a 30 min run on Thursday and I'm done. 

Just looking forward to getting these last few days of work out the way and getting in the car up to Bolton.

IronChris68    pirate
30/07/2013 at 10:01

especially the little hill from canal up to CNR

That^^ is being walked up

30/07/2013 at 10:09

I've not recce'd a lot of the run, so I'm quite happy to be in blissful ignorance

And from experience, by the time I reach the run course on an IM, most people will be walking...

30/07/2013 at 11:30

I'm just getting a feeling that i have the makings of a throat coming on!   Fruit for me then too!

Humming and harring on changing my rear wheel racing tyre, she's a schwalbe ultremo, couple months old with a couple of tiny nicks in it.  do i go with a bit of superglue in the nicks....or new tyre?????

30/07/2013 at 11:38

Morning all

What is it with you lot

IM IN!!!!!

God knows whats going to happen as im taking more pills than Lance Armstrong to try and get it ll under control, one last hope for an injection tomorrow morn if the doctors agrees, if not then I shall be at the back of the swim pack for sure just doing what I can do, but beware I shall be on yer ar**s for the bike and hopefully the run as well.

Its going to get no better and last Friday was a very low day for me, but what the hell may as well give it a shot, have been advised to do 2 strokes with my right arm then 1 with the left

Packed and ready to go, until tonight then i shall recheck and repack

Hopefully arrving up there early afternoon on Friday

Quick bones push the submit button so you have to do it, push the button, push the button

30/07/2013 at 11:43

Really great news Bones, well chuffed for you!

30/07/2013 at 12:00

Great news Bones!!

I'm having second thoughts about clothing choices...ahhhh!! I'm thinking rather than changing fully at each transition, do I keep my 2XU trisuit on throughout and put my cycling gear over the top in T1, then back to the trisuit in T2 for the run (maybe a tshirt over the top for the run). 

It will save a lot of faff in transition.

I may include a full change, wear my trisuit under the wetsuit, then I can decide in T1 whether to fully change.  If I don't, I'll still have a full change in T2 if I need it.

I may try shorts over trisuit on my ride tonight and see how it feels.

flyaway    pirate
30/07/2013 at 12:37

Good news Bones.
Timmy - what's with all the changing?! Wear your tri suit under your wetsuit, and wear it throughout. Simple. I dont think you should have any decisions to make in T1, you should be almost on auto-pilot, otherwise its only stress and wasted time.

Hope everyone is feeling rested and relaxed and ready? I'd personally rather it didnt hammer it down with rain on the day, like it did yesterday, but what will be will be.

30/07/2013 at 13:06

Yay, Bones - great news ! I've been lurking all morning to get the final decision. You'll probably still be ahead of me in the swim!

Timmy - I'd say a definite "no" to two shorts layers on the bike, as you won't have a chance to try it out for anything like long enough, and there could be carnage....

I'm with Flyers on the not making decisions in transition front, though not necessarily on wearing the tri suit throughout. In training I've been battling to get comfortable in my tri shorts on the bike, but have finally decided to go back to my bike shorts, which I also wore for the run in Wales last year, and stick to them. I don't think a bit of extra padding will make much difference to my swim buoyancy, and I know it doesn't affect the run. And I definitely don't care what it looks like.

Flyers - I'm feeling neither rested, relaxed nor ready, my shoulder, knee and feet hurt, and I'm snuffling and headachey - in other words in full taper mode, so all must be well! I don't think we'll have heavy rain, but it looks as though what we do get may all be during the bike, which will be a pain.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.