IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Just made decision....!

141 to 160 of 961 messages
19/12/2012 at 14:35

Only one ... ?

19/12/2012 at 20:39

DTT - well done mate, I know what that means to you.  I to have had a couple of reasonable swim sessions this week. At last I feel as if I am making some  progress albeit slow, but progress all the same. It will probably all go t...s up next time I am in the pool, ah ah ah.

Just sorting out my kit for the Tour de Helvellyn, a 38 mile ultra that takes place on Saturday. Weather forecast is looking pretty crap, but it is the Lakes in winter!    

Woody, good luck on Sunday, I will be interested to know how you found the course.

Tyler, better to have the lurgy now than at a time in the coming months. Wishing you a speedy recovery mate.    

20/12/2012 at 17:55
Good luck Steve, 38 miles sounds like quite a caper! Let us know how you do.
20/12/2012 at 17:59

Good luck Steve, an Ultra is on my bucket list.

20/12/2012 at 19:40
Did a 32miler this year and loved it (afterwards!), would have deffo signed up again for next year but too tough to fit in with next years training.

Would be great to hear how 38 miles fares, fingers crossed for the weather.
20/12/2012 at 20:03

Cheers Steve and same to you. If my IM experiance is anything to go by you will do well in Bolton with your strong running base.

20/12/2012 at 20:39

Thanks everyone. I will let you know how I get on. 

23/12/2012 at 18:34
Ok, back on it now, nice 2and half hour ride...27 miles, loads of hills, not good for chest but hey ho.
Managed to crack a nice 41.6mph downhill section, which was in a word...ace!
Merry christmas to all bonkers, and happy new (8 months of training) year!!
24/12/2012 at 08:45

Wishing you all the very best for the festive period. 

Ultra went well, weather was wild and wet and the conditions underfoot were atrocious. A top day out though and I was in some great great company. I'm off for a swim this morning, can't say that I am looking forward to it.

New years resolution - try to be more positive about swimming and enjoy it!!    

24/12/2012 at 12:22

Back fron my swim and I am pleased to report that I have every reason to be optimistic in the new year. Things are starting to click into place. I think I will have another mince pie.

24/12/2012 at 18:34

Well done SK4!

Also, good resolution re swimming - might try that myself.

Merry Christmas to all !

31/12/2012 at 07:47

One week before the fun starts ! I am going to ensure that I follow the schedule but I will include an additional swim per week and two strength sessions.  

Just having debate with myself whether to put in for the Fellsman again in April 13. Unfortunately, 61 miles over the Yorkshire countryside isn't conducive with IM training. Decisions, decisions.    

Have a good new year everyone.

03/01/2013 at 22:43

Happy New Year, fellow IMUK-ers !

Thread's a bit quiet - perhaps it's not just me that's feeling August is a long way off, and wondering when the training momentum will start to appear?

After a lazy Christmas, I'm trying to get some sort of steady training going, and it's ridiculous not to manage it while  the weather's mild etc. I have now managed a swim, bike and run in 2013, so it's a start. Swimming is terrible -  I thought I was beginning to find the secret last Autumn, but was obviously wrong, got a bad shoulder, rested for a while, and am now worse than ever, managing to dip over 9 mins for 400m today .

Running and biking felt quite bouncy after a rest, though there's no use pretending that you can hang on to your endurance by eating and drinking too much and leaving the bike/trainers gathering dust in the hallway.

We might all benefit from some mutual support now as well as in the Summer. How's it going for you?

BTW SK4 - have you resolved your internal debate? I've binned the London Marathon this year, for the first time in ages, because it just doesn't fit with a steady, consistent IM plan - not really the training, but the amount of tapering and recovery tha are needed. It may be different with ultras, though?

03/01/2013 at 22:59
Hey joddly,
Happy new year to you too.
Chrimbo been full on and managed some good training.....unfortunately I think I have DONE my knee again. It went on me few years ago and I have always worn a chopat since. Thought it was all ok and strengthened but the shooting pain through the knee cap is back...bit concerning to say the least, going be icing it constantly now, but what to do is a problem?
First problem of 2013!!
Your swimming sounds at a good level for now, I know what you mean about cracking it and then thinking..still a long way to go!
03/01/2013 at 23:10

Hi everyone, Happy NEw Year.  Managed some running and MTB over Christmas.  Back to swimming, turbo and running this week, then Monday I start Fink's competitive plan.

Joddly, I'm still at about 10min for 400m for swimming, but I feel steady improvement.  Few months ago I could barely do two lengths.  We'll all get there, I'm sure.

04/01/2013 at 08:47

DTT - I am going to sack the Fellsman this year and concentrate on the three disciplines, with the focus in terms of time being on cycling.

I am going to do a spring marathon, whether that be Blackpool or Manchester and I will do a couple of shorter 30 odd mile ultras in spring. That should give me a good endurance base.

We all sound pretty similar in terms of swiming ability. I did a total of 2.2kms yesterday and my warm up was 400mts which took me 10mins. Warm up or otherwise, I have only seem to have one pace.

Tyler - good luck with the knee mate.

It's very mild and there is no wind to speak of in my neck of the woods so I have no excuse for not getting the bike out.  

04/01/2013 at 09:01
Thanks Steve,
Trying to be optimistic but when I bend my knee that goes out the window!
Ultras sound good, which ones you doing?
04/01/2013 at 09:48

Happy new year to all

Well done in the Ultra Stephen sounds like it was a real tough one with the conditions. I'm planing to run Blackpool or Manchester or both also tempted with the Bolton Hill marathon.

Hope the shoulder improves Joddly. My swim is only ever average but I've been lucky in the past in that, I tend to get to that level with little training.

Tyler sorry about the Knee hope it gets better soon, I guess you are already taking cod liver oil or Glucosamine etc. Also some swear by Volterol emulgel for easing pain.

Tim I await delivery of fink and thinking of following the same plan. I will decide when I've read it to see if I can afford the time.

AndyB99    pirate
04/01/2013 at 13:38

hang on.....whats going on here???

i've been away for just a few weeks and its all gone mental??

woody......Training????

WTF????

good luck with the training everybody for imuk. i've started this week for wales....got a coach this year...its already hurting

04/01/2013 at 20:56

Tyler, I am going to enter the Haworth Hobble, March (32 miles) & Old County Tops, May (37 miles), subject to getting a partner. 

141 to 160 of 961 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.