increase average bike speed

21 to 26 of 26 messages
IronChris68    pirate
25/02/2013 at 14:13

I can't remember who stated it,"You don't get fitter, you get faster"  

I think that when riding you don't notice the fitness improvement over a given loop, say ridden once per month, you still feel tired when finishing, and the climbs still hurt, however you do tend to go a bit quicker each time as the training\fitness improves.

My average speed is increading all of the time, the more I train, the fitter and lighter I get and the time improves, but you do need to push yourself

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
25/02/2013 at 16:03
2 approaches i have used were

Intervals (they are supposed to be hard).
Volume. esp the long ride. if you are aiming at a sub 6 hr bike then you want to be happy knocking out big rides, and the base period (now, weather allowing)is where you build those up.... these will be easy in the first hour but will get tougher as the time goes on. a 4-5 hr z2 ride gets tough.

Once you have the volume sorted, throw some IM or half IM effotts into the long ride

Finally if you are a riding newbie it can take a while for the training to bed in.

Finally on race day semi closed roads help as there is no real stopping at junctions
Edited: 25/02/2013 at 16:03
25/02/2013 at 17:55

Thanks for all the replies I am going to start making some changes to the bike plan and see how that goes and poosibly drop a run session to fit in another bike.

26/02/2013 at 18:54
Jason, thanks for asking the question. If it is any comfort, I am in the same boat. Following the intermediate plan and on the few occasions i have been able to get off the turbo, my speed is probably 4kmph where i want it to be.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/277541900

I kid myself that it is due to the hills i am doing, but the fact is quality time spent on the road that will count come July 7th
WildWill    pirate
27/02/2013 at 08:05

I helped increase my brothers average speed by not letting him coast down hill

only stop peddling if you're above 35mph .... it's supprising the difference it makes 

IronChris68    pirate
27/02/2013 at 14:09

WW,

I did this in my ride last week, pedalled all the downhills etc and felt much quicker, even though i wasn't gong to spend less time coasting and more time pedalling, just hope I can keep it up for 112 miles in August

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.