Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

181 to 200 of 2,704 messages
13/03/2012 at 18:24

Max - really feel for you matey.   I still can't run.  I was diagnosed as having dehydrated discs a few years back.   A few weeks back the sciatica came back with vengeance.   I am able to swim and cycle, but running is impossible.   Each time i attempt to run i get a pulling sensation in my calf, with numbness in my leg.   Wish there was a "quick-fix" solution but just have to give it time to heal.    Its Outlaw decision time for me at the end of the month

13/03/2012 at 18:41
Cheers Mrs SA hope it all comes right for you. if i can get the run going to be honest would probably cure my motivational problems its just frustrating as i can bike and swim just gotta exercise some patience which is not one of my sttong points
M...eldy    pirate
13/03/2012 at 19:07
Mrs SA, can you do pool running at all?
13/03/2012 at 19:46
Fingers crossed for both of you. be a real shame for either of you to have to pull out.
13/03/2012 at 20:10

Meldy .... never actually tried it!!!   How does it work?

M...eldy    pirate
13/03/2012 at 20:13
I havent tried it myself but I do know that people have had a lot of success with it and it may be worth a try if it gets you <<cough>> back up and running ?
Hope    pirate
14/03/2012 at 07:48
Little brick session this morning, turbo and run. Really enjoying the mid week stuff now that I've got the hang of the training early thing.
I really REALLY have to do something about my lack of swim motivation though. Still only swimming twice a week and then it's really quite pathetic.
It's hard to make myself do something I'm really rubbish at lol!
I will have to use bribery. 3 swims a week for the next month and I'll buy myself something nice.... That should do it!
WildWill    pirate
14/03/2012 at 08:15
Hope ...

I have only swam 2 or 3 times this year due to an on going chest problem ... i'm at the Doctors on Friday so hopefully will get that sorted so at least i can get myself to a get round level or not drowning skill level
Hope    pirate
14/03/2012 at 09:08
Oh well Ww, we can keep eachother company in the not drowning wave
Seriously, hope your chest problems sort themselves out soon.
seren nos    pirate
14/03/2012 at 09:11
We are all a great advert for fitness and health aren't we.....now I want everyone to report for duty at the end of the month in tip top shape please.....

I am going to try and go on the bike this morning.......today is the first day I could manage going down stairs after the ultra on the weekend.so hopefully I will be able to get on the bike
14/03/2012 at 09:14

How did the Ultra go Seren?

Hope    pirate
14/03/2012 at 09:20
Enjoy Seren.
Dubai Dave    pirate
14/03/2012 at 11:57
managed a 3K swim today that the longest swim I've done since IM Austria, it was surprisingly OK.
14/03/2012 at 12:57
Nice hilly 22 mile commute in this morning its getting light at 05:45 now woohoo will force myself to the pool tonight to start swim training proper (all be it with a pull bouy)
14/03/2012 at 13:37
63 miles on the bike this morning in just over 4 hours,just hope the cycling gets easier.Running club tonight,yikes.
Darkness    pirate
14/03/2012 at 13:51
Hope  wrote (see)
Little brick session this morning, turbo and run. Really enjoying the mid week stuff now that I've got the hang of the training early thing.
I really REALLY have to do something about my lack of swim motivation though. Still only swimming twice a week and then it's really quite pathetic.
It's hard to make myself do something I'm really rubbish at lol!
I will have to use bribery. 3 swims a week for the next month and I'll buy myself something nice.... That should do it!

2 pathetic swims a week is a good week for me.  I see little chance of me moving it up to 3.  At the moment its one 20-30 minute lunchtime swim (which sometimes get missed if work dictates otherwise) and 1 1hr tri club swim (which includes drills, explanation of the session  etc so solid swimming probably 40 mins at best?)  The tri club swim is good and structured but distance is way down on Fink or the like - sub 2k in total.

Can I join you and Wild Will at the back please.

14/03/2012 at 14:48

I'm with you Darkness - 1 structured tri club swim pw and if I get out of bed Monday morning 1 other........

So I'll be seeing you, WW and Hope at the back only slight problem being that the swim is supposedly my "strongest" (= least weak) discipline

14/03/2012 at 17:26
40 lenghts before i got bored and got out concentrated on good technique though, last year the longest i managedin the pool was 40 mins and not often but i did get two 1 hour sea swims in a week during the last 12 ish weeks and got a swim PB at IMW, i seem to have got my swim down from 1:40 on my first IM and doing the full fink program to 1:12 by giving it a bit of a good ignoring
Hope    pirate
14/03/2012 at 19:39

Well RB that's fantastic news because ignoring swimming seems to be my strongest discipline at the moment!

I'm having to re jig this weekends training around the kids. I'm quite looking forward to doing my long bike on  a Friday for a change. I'm hoping I can take the weather by surprise and have a nice day in the sunshine!!

M...eldy    pirate
14/03/2012 at 19:46
I think Saturday is due the worst weather this week .. which is good as I am doing my long bike tomorrow 
181 to 200 of 2,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.