Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

2,301 to 2,320 of 2,635 messages
18/07/2012 at 10:41

My lovely wife has metioned the Little Woody on 3 occasions in the last few days (just in passing). So if you're reading this, Muffin and you'd like to go..... 1 x PASS OUT 

Not a good week so far for me. Needed a rest day Monday after a hard weekend, and yesterday's 4km swim turned into 2.5km because I couldn't swim in even a vaguely straight line and got fed up. As with every O/W swim, I spent the night sneezing, bunged-up and with a roaring temperature. Failed to set an early alarm today, so I'm behind the curve again.

Zip fell off my wetsuit last night, and it's touch and go whether I'll get my bike back in time for the race this weekend, after 2 weeks waiting for Ribble to deliver a new Mech Hanger. All told, I'm feeling pretty crumby. Think I may be on the receiving end of a bloody nose at The Eirias on Saturday .

18/07/2012 at 10:49
Sounds like you are well set up for Saturday !
18/07/2012 at 11:21

There's nothing like the misery of a fellow athlete to cheer me up. Is it called Schadenfreude? Anyway... thanks for that Q .

If Saturday's too grim, I saw a great looking pub called the Old Stag in Llangernyw on my bike recce. We pass it twice, so we could meet there for a restorative pint? And I believe that "The Galleon" is the best chippy in town for starting our recovery fuelling.

Eirias is going to be like 60% of IMW, so once you've got that under your belt, you''ll feel much better about a little bimble around sunny Tenby, mate.

18/07/2012 at 12:45
Q its just a wibble M8 trust me IMW is the best race i have done period you will love it ( although Outlaw comes a close second)
18/07/2012 at 16:08
With you on that Cake,its hard to pick myself back up after my outlaw disaster.
NV
18/07/2012 at 16:32

Struggling for motivation at the moment. Finally managed to get out last night for a first run since Outlaw. 3 miles, HR through the roof and a splitting headache by the end. Either I''m still not recovered from Outlaw or I'm going down with something. Or both.

I need to find a target race, and soon, before I eat my way into the record books

VTd    pirate
18/07/2012 at 17:22

Iro.NV, I thought you were interested in the half Ireman.  If you don't focus soon you'll turn up and I'll be looking to reverse that Outlaw result

I farted about for a couple of weeks after Outlaw.  I ate a lot, swam OW a little, upped my running quite a bit post injury, and have swapped my long bike runs for shorter more intense sessions.

My swimming took off again last night with a 2.8k session including 5 x 50, 10 x 100, 5 x 50 session.  I'm hoping to keep building on what was a surprisingly good swim for me at Outlaw, but that swim could have been my one and only lifetime miracle.

I have a hilly marathon this weekend, which will really knock me sideways, but I'll use it as a tough training run.

Then it'll be the bike for 4 weeks before the half Ireman 19 Aug.  After that it's back to training for an assault at a good time in the Dublin Marathon.  Then back to base training for Lanza next year.

I don't know what the feck I'm up to, and even less a clue on what effect it'll have on these creaky bones.  But what else am I going to do with this mid-life crisis from hell?

STIL and SA, that beer will taste great at the end of Hairy Arse, go and get it (after !)  A drink and a laugh will be a great tonic and will help relieve the obvious tensions.

M...eldy    pirate
18/07/2012 at 17:43

Q .. IMW is a long way off yet .. you'll be fine

Woody .. of course, its simple ... MTFU and get on with it 

Quick swim for me today, 4 swim and 4 kick for a mile just because I wanted something different to do !

18/07/2012 at 18:31
Cake,moneys tight so no more tris for me this year,i've got a couple if half maras to focus on and my outlaw training has improved my speed.I kind of promised the family I would take it easy over the summer but never.Helvelyn could still be on the cards if I can sort some time off or even better find a dufferent job.Good luck with the half Boar
18/07/2012 at 18:51
Little Woody paid and entered now to try and work up some speed after all that ironman plodding
seren nos    pirate
18/07/2012 at 20:24

for those of you who have dnf'd...its a horrible feeling...but focus on what caused you to dnf.............work on it and you will come back stronger

18/07/2012 at 21:03

Max - great news!  I'm sure you could change your entry to BW if you get any mad urges nearer the time 

Nice one Q - I now see bad days and dips in motivation as just part of the process and as long as I keep going without thinking too hard ( a bit like the IM 'run'!) then I know that the mojo will come back in due course and everything will seem rosy again!

Went for a swim in the pool this morning which just confirmed that I am S**t and need to do some work on my swimming!

Iron Muffin    pirate
19/07/2012 at 06:17

LW is very tempting. Main problem is that I am in camping retirement after the rain in Tenby for the LCW. Well done for entering Max

STIL and SA the HIM (with extra cycling) will be a tough day and the timing is prefect before IMW. I will cheer you on  - does that mean I can have a chips and beer at the end? 

A marathon VTD'd. Nutty respect!

Iron Muffin    pirate
19/07/2012 at 06:18
M...eldy wrote (see)

Quick swim for me today, 4 swim and 4 kick for a mile just because I wanted something different to do

!

Even more nuttier respect

19/07/2012 at 07:41

Muffin - I seem to remember your husband giving you a pass to the LW!  You cant down an opportunity like that!  

19/07/2012 at 09:58
M...eldy wrote (see)

Quick swim for me today, 4 swim and 4 kick for a mile just because I wanted something different to do !

Oh no Meldy. No, no, no, no, no. That's 32 lengths of kick, yes? You must really dislike yourself. Get some help.

VT'd wrote (see)

My swimming took off again last night with a 2.8k session including 5 x 50, 10 x 100, 5 x 50 session. 

Cool workout VT. Did something very similar this morning. Warm-upx800, 10x100 (trying to hold 2 minutes and failing), 8x50 sprint (took me straight to Lactic City ) 6x100 and a bit of warm down. Based on the swim sessions Fegan, Melli and MuffinTop do and if it's good enough for them..... it's more than good enough for me!

Feeling back on my game and looking forward to picking up my bike today with a new chain, new hanger, new cables, new jocky wheels and..... who put these new (and probably pointless) sunglasses in my basket  ????

Edited: 19/07/2012 at 09:59
NV
19/07/2012 at 11:21

VT'd, yeah, I'm still thinking about the half Ireman. I'd just about convinced myself that a couple of long rides and a couple of long runs and I could do the full. Then I mentioned it to Mrs NV....

I'm still hoping to slope off to do the half though.

20/07/2012 at 10:25

Your advice please..... Last day before Eirias, which I'm hoping to complete confidently rather than race (or die on my arse like a fat knacker who hasn't done enough long rides). I'm not tapering for this but I don't want to flog myself today. Got my bike back last night after 10 days at the fixers. Thought I'd do a little brick this afternoon... 60 mins on the bike including a few hill reps, then 20-30 mins run. Does that sound sensible, please? Ta.

20/07/2012 at 11:13
All at a nice easy recovery type pace and forget the hill reps sounds good to me
Iron Muffin    pirate
20/07/2012 at 16:09

After much deliebartion I am passing on LW. It does look fab and good luck to all entered.

I want to learn to run. Not jog or shuffle, but actually look and feel like I am running. So a couple of local 10 k's for me  in the next couple of months.This will fit in okay around  slowers IMW training and we can both sit down and plan next year after that.

SA - loks like it will be chips, beer and cake tommorrow.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.