Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

2,381 to 2,400 of 2,711 messages
23/07/2012 at 10:14

Thanks for the supportive feedback, fellas. I'll take my head out of my arse and look on the bright side. Saturday was training for IMW - not an A-Race. I finished nice n fresh, with fuel in the tank, so probably did what I set out to do. Just gets me down seeing all the racing snakes streaking past on the run... makes me feel like a right hefty old unit.

Training plan confirmed for the rest of the week, with comparatively more riding... couple of double bike days. It's a cut-back week in periodisation though, so won't hammer myself on the running.

And then I need to get re-focussed on my diet. Going to have to get my body fat down to 7-8% for Tenby. It's currently about 9.7%, so I'm looking at stripping 3-4lbs off. Onwards and Upwards! 

Britrisky    pirate
23/07/2012 at 11:35
slowerthanilook wrote (see)

It's a cut-back week in periodisation though, so won't hammer myself on the running.

Say what? I'd say you must be elite, STIL - I don't even speak your language!!! 

Could us lesser mortals have a translation, please ...

23/07/2012 at 12:06

Bloody hell, Brit.... far from it!

Some training plans spilt the long-term workload into 4-week blocks. Weeks 1-3 of each block see you doing progressively more work, and then in week 4 you reduce the intensity and the workload back a bit. It supposedly gives your body a bit of an opportunity to "soak up" the gains you've made. Then the next block of 4 is slightly harder than the last, and so on. The whole process is called periodisation and the light week in each block is sometimes called a cut-back week. My understanding is that in your cut-back week, you want to reduce the amount of hours done (by say 10-15% on the previous week) but also do workouts that are slightly less stressful on your body, so chill your run speeds out... remove the hill reps... interval sessions etc.

Disclaimer; the author of this post knows precious little about triathlon training and the opinions above in no way reflect reliable advice .

The Silent Assassin    pirate
23/07/2012 at 12:53

After the race on Saturday, rested on Sunday and today is rest, will be back on the bike comute tomorrow, 22 miles each way.

Anyone know how to get rid of the number tatoos?

Rafiki    pirate
23/07/2012 at 13:00

SA - have a look here

23/07/2012 at 13:14

Have they given you a finish time yet, SA? Or are they assuming you're still enjoying a crafty Magnum on the Promenade?

These number tattoos?? Sometimes progress makes huge steps backwards!

23/07/2012 at 13:15
STIL pleased hear your head is out of your arse as that is not a pleasant place, if you're ever in doubt just imagine your 20 yr old self looking at what you're achieving and being astounded
23/07/2012 at 13:17

Jesus... that's a frightening image . Great perspective. I'm off for a ride .

Britrisky    pirate
23/07/2012 at 13:35

STIL - oh, I see. Very impressive knowledge, I must say! So week 4 is bimble week, sort of?!

I'm just muddling through my training at the min - HIM Sept 2nd, but then GNR 2 weeks later and mara Oct 6th, with 10 days in Spain next week (not a training camp!!) - not got my head around a 'plan' for all that yet, other than building up the long runs and the long bikes. Did actually attempt an interval session on bike this morning, though!

Reckon I'll call Spain a periodisation, then? 

23/07/2012 at 13:41

STIL

Yep finally got a finish time, the swim was even worse than first thougt, but I did get back 1:45 from the traffic light delays

Did you notice the other guy with the same name as yours

M...eldy    pirate
23/07/2012 at 14:13
Timed 400m swim

Training works
23/07/2012 at 15:02

Oooph... Meldy! Smoked it. Good effort.

I did notice the other bloke with the same name as me, Q, yes. The one who finished 13th instead of 58th? We're regularly confused by folk who can't tell the difference between the slow, fat one and the fast, skinny one. And I didn't get my traffic light time back .

You've got it, Brit. Week 4 is your Bimble week. Enjoy the paella!

23/07/2012 at 15:24

6.39!!! - she's a fish i tell ya  

23/07/2012 at 16:15
Agreed Slim but what type? .........runs off to hidey place on moor
M...eldy    pirate
23/07/2012 at 18:06

Dont hide in water Max ... i'll hunt you down 

23/07/2012 at 18:56

Much as i like you Max ..you're on your own son  

M...eldy    pirate
23/07/2012 at 18:58

You see Max, you find out who your mates are 

Iron Muffin    pirate
24/07/2012 at 08:36
M...eldy wrote (see)
Timed 400m swim

Training works

Awesome. Bring on winter swim

I tried some leg kicking ion Saturday. It hurt!

24/07/2012 at 09:29

Hamstring strain. Bollox!

24/07/2012 at 09:33

rest, ice, compression and elevation

have to admit the on the commute this morning could feel a slight pull in the groin

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.