Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

2,421 to 2,440 of 2,704 messages
27/07/2012 at 12:23
Been struggling this week with toothabcesss and bad tum resulting in no sleep just basically falling to bits on antibiotics and painkillers gonna take some time out feet up and watch the olympics and stop hammering my body for s while
27/07/2012 at 16:57

Sometimes you read about somebody else's illness and you really.... like REALLY feel for them. Tooth abcess and a belly?? Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Physio today to see if my hammie is OK to resume some training. Lovely girl... giggled cutely whenever she found some scar tissue to dig her thumbs into. Left with all four major leg areas in bulk, but a green light to get back into gentle training .

Finally put heart n soul into one of Muffin's swim sets, after reading how Meldy and Melli both do similar ones. So 200m warm up, then 10x100 on 2 minute intervals, followed by 10x50 on 1 minute intervals then some technique and warm down. Chuffed because I've never been able to hold that 2 minutes for 10 reps before, so to succeed with that and follow-on with 10x50 is something I'm well pleased with. Copped me a bit of a telling-off though, because Muffin's been telling me for 2 years not to just get in the pool and plod. Onward and upward!

Iron Muffin    pirate
28/07/2012 at 18:25

Unlucky Max, sounds rubbish.

The bit slowerthanilook hasnt mentioned in his swim feedback, is that he tried the intervals because Meldy said! He has ignored me his wife, ex competitive swimmer and coach for 2 years.

Meldy, maybe you could mention on here a few more things he should be doing. eg, garndening, DIY, buying wife flowers........

M...eldy    pirate
29/07/2012 at 19:32

My pleasure Muffin  

Slower, the ironing needs doing .

The Silent Assassin    pirate
30/07/2012 at 11:07

Should of had a 100mile sportive on Saturday

Turned up and set off, got in a nice group of 7 and trundling along well, got to the first station (30 miles) and find out the rest of the group are only doing the 60 mile option (lightweights) so set off by myself, got to a junction, 1 sign pointing left, 1 sign pointing right, so 50/50 chance, thought it was where the 60/100 ride split, tuns out that one of the signs has been put on wrong, guess who chose the wrong way

Took me 7 miles to realise, then thought I could get back to the feed station via a shortcut, couldn't, buy the time I had got back it had added 17 miles on and didn't fancy a 120 mile ride, so sacked it off and headed of to the finish to make a trip of 75 mile.

Must have done something on the ride because my back is now hurting like hell and was unable to train yesterday

30/07/2012 at 14:02

Hope you're back's better soon, Q. With that and your groin.... you're doing a good job of shaking the gremlins out.

Got the green light to start training again. The regular Saturday morning run felt horrible in lots of ways, so I cut it short. Enjoyed a confidence-boosting 75-miler yesterday though. First time in ages I've worn an HRM on the bike (prefering to do it Voelkler-stylee.... all tongue lolling and tortured facial expressions) and it really helped me stay frosty in Z2 instead of pushing too hard a gear on the flats. Three mile trot with the wife n kids afterwards and no reaction from the hammie. Hopefully things are looking up!

I'd love to stay and chat.... but I have a mountain of ironing to do

Edited: 30/07/2012 at 14:03
M...eldy    pirate
30/07/2012 at 17:55

Best you crack on then!!!

I have been swimming .... for a change  

Iron Muffin    pirate
30/07/2012 at 18:33

4 mile trot with Slower. My efforts on core stability seem to be doing something, even if it is just sciatica pain.

Good swimming Meldy dolphin. Hope all the injured are healing well.

M...eldy    pirate
30/07/2012 at 18:35

Nice trotting MT !!   I did some of that this morning cept I made the 'oss do all the work

I think I need to look at some other swim sessions to do and mix it up a bit  .. it will be a long year on timed 400's 

30/07/2012 at 19:14
Still got stomach problems bikings Ok but running is out in case of embarresment apparently the antibiotics for the abbsess are causing this as i have a pretty delicate tum at the best of times just gonna have to tough it out and wait do what stuff i can till all this settles down
M...eldy    pirate
30/07/2012 at 19:16

I think that is quite a common side effect Max !

30/07/2012 at 20:57

That's a kind of embarrassment you can do without, Max, huh?

Did 5 good hours yesterday and had legs o' lead today. Easy bike and a recovery run. Felt like wading through treacle, so happy to get 1 hour 40 of shakey-outy stuff done. Getting a little injury has thrown me a bit wobbly upstairs. Not sure why, because I still got 9 hours done in a cut-back week, with a muscle strain. I guess you just don't want to feel damaged or broken 6 weeks before your A race .

Short bike and a long OW swim tomorrow. Will attempt not to plod. 

M...eldy    pirate
30/07/2012 at 21:02

When you are tempted to plod just remind yourself of the damage that you could be doing, that should bring you back to your senses eh ?

IronCat5    pirate
30/07/2012 at 21:40

Hi All,

A very hard tri club swim tonight. Managed 2km. Brain wants to start training again, body steadfastly refusing. . Have opened a bottle of HTFU so will see how it goes.

Slower - you're still putting in the time and training well. Even despite mechanicals that would have most people calling time on that session. You'll be fine.

31/07/2012 at 06:34
Country runs are ok i just go all Ray Mears wildman in the woods but doing the same running through the streets of Plymuff and having to do a Paula could be very embarrassing
31/07/2012 at 09:19

Thinking of throwing in a high volume bike week starting next Monday.

Would maintain my swim, reduce my run to 2 brick runs off the bike and just get out there for several 4 hour bike rides through the week.

The week following I have an enforced lower volume week due to work travel.

Good idea or bad idea? What do you think?

31/07/2012 at 09:34
You can never do enough bike sessions Cruz plus unlike upping the run drastically the risk of injury is minmal pedal on i say!
31/07/2012 at 13:44

What he said .
Happy riding, Crux.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
31/07/2012 at 15:16

Hi chaps and chappesses, haven''t been on for ages.

Max, hope you feel better soon, best stick to the country trails for runs

Sounds good Crux. More time on the bike the better I reckon.

Slower - your rest weeks sound bigger than my training weeks, so I don't think you've anything to worry about. It's just injuries, they mess with your head.

Since Outlaw I have reverted to my comfort zone, ie. lots of running, no swimming and a little bit of biking.

Anyhow, I've three weeks til my next race (local sprint race), so I've set about sorting myself out this week. Went back in the pool today, and have a bike ride planned for tonight after work . Then lots more cycling planned.

Mr plodder is doing the sprint tri with me. It's his first ever triathlon, so nerves are starting to fray at our house. He doesn't believe me when I tell him he'll be fine - he's been cycling for years, and it's all about the bike

The Silent Assassin    pirate
31/07/2012 at 15:52

do you recon Mr Plodder will get hooked and want to do Ironman distances?

you can then have the same problems Mrs SA and I have and STIL and Muffin Top have

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.