Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

2,441 to 2,460 of 2,711 messages
IronCat5    pirate
30/07/2012 at 21:40

Hi All,

A very hard tri club swim tonight. Managed 2km. Brain wants to start training again, body steadfastly refusing. . Have opened a bottle of HTFU so will see how it goes.

Slower - you're still putting in the time and training well. Even despite mechanicals that would have most people calling time on that session. You'll be fine.

31/07/2012 at 06:34
Country runs are ok i just go all Ray Mears wildman in the woods but doing the same running through the streets of Plymuff and having to do a Paula could be very embarrassing
31/07/2012 at 09:19

Thinking of throwing in a high volume bike week starting next Monday.

Would maintain my swim, reduce my run to 2 brick runs off the bike and just get out there for several 4 hour bike rides through the week.

The week following I have an enforced lower volume week due to work travel.

Good idea or bad idea? What do you think?

31/07/2012 at 09:34
You can never do enough bike sessions Cruz plus unlike upping the run drastically the risk of injury is minmal pedal on i say!
31/07/2012 at 13:44

What he said .
Happy riding, Crux.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
31/07/2012 at 15:16

Hi chaps and chappesses, haven''t been on for ages.

Max, hope you feel better soon, best stick to the country trails for runs

Sounds good Crux. More time on the bike the better I reckon.

Slower - your rest weeks sound bigger than my training weeks, so I don't think you've anything to worry about. It's just injuries, they mess with your head.

Since Outlaw I have reverted to my comfort zone, ie. lots of running, no swimming and a little bit of biking.

Anyhow, I've three weeks til my next race (local sprint race), so I've set about sorting myself out this week. Went back in the pool today, and have a bike ride planned for tonight after work . Then lots more cycling planned.

Mr plodder is doing the sprint tri with me. It's his first ever triathlon, so nerves are starting to fray at our house. He doesn't believe me when I tell him he'll be fine - he's been cycling for years, and it's all about the bike

The Silent Assassin    pirate
31/07/2012 at 15:52

do you recon Mr Plodder will get hooked and want to do Ironman distances?

you can then have the same problems Mrs SA and I have and STIL and Muffin Top have

bburn plO.dder    pirate
31/07/2012 at 16:29

Not sure, he says not but he enjoyed being at Outlaw so much this year he's already talking about doing the cycle leg of a iron distance relay next year, it's a slippery slope .

And tbh, I thought iron distance was completely bonkers when I first started, so you never know

It must be a training nightmare with both of you doing it, perhaps for purely selfish reasons I should put him off the idea, at least until the kids have left home - which will be a very long time!!

M...eldy    pirate
31/07/2012 at 17:42

I am having a swim focussed week... give my legs a rest and its too shite for the bike at the moment

Good session today and the 400s are keeping at sub 7 for consistency which is nice

IronCat5    pirate
31/07/2012 at 17:46

If you carry on like this Meldy you'll grow gills.

M...eldy    pirate
31/07/2012 at 17:51

It will take me even longer to get them off in T1 !!

31/07/2012 at 19:53

Max - hope you feel better soon 

Some good training going on and it's quite nice to sit back and look at Slower and SA's peak training phase from the comfort of an armchair!

Not quite true as I'm getting back into the groove after Outlaw and managed a 14 mile plod today and even did a 40 min swim last night  

M...eldy    pirate
31/07/2012 at 19:57

14mile plod? That sounds like training to me 

31/07/2012 at 23:03

Joined my local Masters Swim class tonight - did 1 hr solid FC lengths (I can see I have a LOT of work to do ! ) Esp compared to u M.eldy. I am absolutely exhausted - maybe Ironman will HAVE to wait till 2014 (but I don't want to).

IronCat5    pirate
31/07/2012 at 23:12

You'll be fine. I always struggle at tri-club swims.

VT'd    pirate
01/08/2012 at 08:34

Have been without internet a couple of weeks now since I'm out going it alone.  I'm availing of McD's free internet, which ....well it's free.....but I'm having to work hard to negate the happy meal effect every time I visit .

Been OW swimming a lot, in the currently bumpy sea and horrible weather, and in a local reservoir.  My biking, although I'm not doing interval or tempo sessions is getting stronger, and I'm back up to 70 odd mile rides at weekends and 35 odd miles mid week.

Last weekend's marathon trashed my running legs a bit so I haven't been doing much in way of running, but I'll have to put that right soon for Dublin in Oct.

A half IM in two weeks and a few sportives lined up.  Somone also asked me to partner them for a winter adventure race series, but I don't want to be focussing on just that.  Might use it to break up the training and as tough training days.

Good to read everyone keeping well and getting back to the grind.

01/08/2012 at 09:16

Lots of very hardcore "non-training" going on here. I feel for your poor armchair, Slim! And it looks like you're now officially a "lifestyle triathlete" VT'd?

Open water swim yesterday at Salford. 3km in 61 minutes, which I'm pleased with. Sets me up for about 1:15 in Tenby with a bit of luck. I really wanted to score 300 points on the "something slightly different" thread for the first time, and despite an injury and having my bike in the workshop for 10 days... I've achieved that. Chuffed

Edited: 01/08/2012 at 09:27
01/08/2012 at 10:11

Good stuff everyone nothing wrong with a bit of virtual training and planning for the next event (it works for me anyway),  pleased to see that you're doing enough for us all STIL

The Silent Assassin    pirate
01/08/2012 at 11:23

Oh feckity feck feck

Got 3 days off work, was planning on getting some good quality hilly miles in over the next few days.

5 miles in to first ride and just crested the first proper hill, ping, click,click,click,click, bang, rattle,rattle,rattle

Spoke, rear hanger and derailleur are gone.

2nd time this year, the first time cost me double IM, this time its cost me IM Wales, just can't afford to get it replaced until next month, can't miss a month of biking and still do Wales

So this is me pulling out of my 2nd event this year.

If anyone wants a hotel on the run course, overlooking the swim start PM me as I have a room that has the deposit paid for, sleeps 3

Really feel lower than a low thing at the moment

Think I'm going to take up gardening instead

Edited: 01/08/2012 at 11:24
01/08/2012 at 14:02
SA look on FB mate somebody near you is offering a bike loan you cant get out off it that easy
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.