Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

2,521 to 2,540 of 2,704 messages
bburn plO.dder    pirate
09/08/2012 at 19:37
Our kids are with grandparents next week. We've already planned OW swimming, brick session and a long bike ride. How times have changed, not that long ago we would have been in the pub every night!!!! We too now have training dates !!
Razor51    pirate
09/08/2012 at 22:27

BB....Was thinking of starting from my house but that would meen you driving over to me in Swinton, if we decide on a route over your way we could meet you nearer your end.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
09/08/2012 at 22:46
I'm happy to drive over to you, if that suits everybody else. Would be good to ride a different route.
Razor51    pirate
09/08/2012 at 23:45

Will let you know, it could be the route over Darwin, Blackburn, Accrinton, Haslingden, Bury and back home , will have a word with Horse he knows the route better than me.

The Silent Assassin    pirate
10/08/2012 at 08:47

Well swimming was sh1te last night, did 1 lap as fast as poss (see the swim Challenge thread) then another, then took wet suit off as to hot, 2 more laps done, had enough got out went home.

Had the "What the feck am I doing?" moment tonight

The OW venue was rammed full of people, now is it just me, I don't like the pool, too many people just messing about, breaststroke mafia (yes I know I take Jordy to the pool for a mess about), but when we go open water usually there's a sense that everyone wants to swim, last night it was full of people paddling FFS.

Am I turning into a grumpy old man?

Razor51    pirate
10/08/2012 at 16:14

Not sure yet mate, are you driving over?

10/08/2012 at 21:21

Sounds like being a nice old ride. Pity that Muffin and I are in Abersoch until the day after. I'm off there again on the bike tomorrow. Hilly hundred miles, similar to last Saturday. Going to ramp it up a bit though and take in a bit more Snowdonia scenery . Cool thing is that I'm really loving the long rides and feeling cool afterwards. Relief! Should get 15 hours training in this week, which I'll be happy with. Still not looking forward to the race, but enjoying my training at least.

Razor51    pirate
10/08/2012 at 21:57

We might take in part of the IMUK course...

Razor51    pirate
11/08/2012 at 09:59
Cake......proberbly looking at around 50 miles with lots of hills for Q.
bburn plO.dder    pirate
11/08/2012 at 18:43
Mr plodder may come, not sure yet. He's got his first tri ever on the Sunday morning so he says he want to save his legs. I keep telling him it's only a sprint and he's been bike riding for years, we'll have to see.

I know it wouldn't be a problem, but it's going to be up to him.

I'm looking forward to it, will be fun
11/08/2012 at 20:58

Looking forward to it!

Razor51    pirate
12/08/2012 at 19:38

So up to now  we've got,

Razor
Horse
SA
Mrs SA
B/Burn Plodder
Mr B/Burn Plodder (possible)
Cake

So we are looking to to start around 1pm Saturday from my house, are we riding in Pirate kit? .. if we are can anyone lend me a L or XL Monaco.

M...eldy    pirate
12/08/2012 at 19:46

10k race for me today

enough of all that quick rubbish .. back to swimming I think 

Razor51    pirate
12/08/2012 at 19:51

Oh to be back to that quick rubbish.....

13/08/2012 at 10:42

OK weekend for me

Friday night turbo 45 mins 4 mile run

Saturday day off - family stuff and I absolutely loved it

Sunday called into work, so cycled in and then carried on, 82 hilly miles, got caught in rain right at the end, did 67miles on only fluid so stopped for a pasty, struggled to get going again, some big bad hills in that ride.

Razor PM me your address for Saturday

And I have a Monaco you can borrow

Edited: 13/08/2012 at 10:45
NV
13/08/2012 at 10:49

Finally did some running over the weekend. I'm amazed at how much fitness it's possible to lose in 6 weeks.

VT'd    pirate
13/08/2012 at 11:24

I have been doing a lot of swimming and some biking, but not much in way of running.  Stepped up a little bit over this weekend though with breezy 70 mile solitary bike ride on Saturday and 15 mile LSR yesterday.

Previouly injured calf/achilles is a bit tight today so lots of stretching going on and a visit to physio planned.  I have a half IM on Sunday coming, and then it's back to mostly running for a couple of months.

I'm still not confident that I'll be capable of tackling (sp?) Lanza 2013.  That lack of belief is very unlike me and I hope I might be imagining that it is a lot worse than it is.  I don't know.  Maybe it will be even worse than I think.

16/08/2012 at 23:39

Hey everyone, 

Was just wondering if anyone else is doing the Big/Little Woddy next week? Or if anybody has already completed it and has any tips for it? Starting to get a little nervous now, the longest I have completed is 50mile bike in 4hours and 8mile run in 1.45 - my running is slow but steady at the moment gonna keep it like that I hope lol! Any help/advice would be much appreciated...

17/08/2012 at 08:26
Razor51 wrote (see)

So up to now  we've got,

Razor
Horse
SA
Mrs SA
B/Burn Plodder
Mr B/Burn Plodder (possible)
Cake

So we are looking to to start around 1pm Saturday from my house, are we riding in Pirate kit? .. if we are can anyone lend me a L or XL Monaco.

Looking forward to this tomorrow

bburn plO.dder    pirate
17/08/2012 at 12:07

I have had to pull out of tomorrow's ride (family stuff), I'm gutted . Hope you all have a great time.

I went for my own "hilly" ride last night to make up for it.

3 miles into the ride,I got a puncture. My tyres/wheels are really stiff and difficult to get on and off. It took me 40 minutes on the road side to finally change my tyre. So I lost quite a lot of time and had to cut my ride short as I had gone out without lights. Managed to get 25 miles in before it was starting to go dark.

Tackled my nemisis of a hill (it's called Jeffrey Hill and I hate it ). Despite my best efforts, I ended up walking the steepest section yet again. Aahh well, maybe one day I'll get up without walking..........

I popped into my lbs this morning, he says that if I take my wheels down to him he'll have a look at what tyres, wheel rims, etc  I've got on. It should not be taking me 40 minutes to change a tyre. 

And it's not cos I is a girl !! I could manage it in 5 minutes on my old bike!!

Have fun tomorrow

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.