Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

2,661 to 2,680 of 2,704 messages
Iron Muffin    pirate
04/09/2012 at 18:49

Hello NW pirates  That looks like a ride worthy of post event and early christmas beers.

M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 18:51

Glad I live South 

Iron Muffin    pirate
04/09/2012 at 18:54

You are most welcome up here.

M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 19:03

I'm sorry, do I know you ??  

Iron Muffin    pirate
04/09/2012 at 19:14

We even have horses and Pimms up nurf

M...eldy    pirate
04/09/2012 at 19:17

Nuff said  

05/09/2012 at 08:39

3.5k ow swim last night felt OK. Tried changing my breathing rythm from bilateral to something a little more speedy but it just buggered-up my sighting, so I was swimming marginally less slowly in pretty patterns around the lake. Perhaps if they introduced an "artistic impression" mark I'd be OK?

Supposed to be doing a fast brick tonight, but legs currently feel a little leaden. May knock that on the head and push it back to tomorrow. But hopefully I'll feel a little more spritely later.

New chain... new tyres.... what to buy, what to buy? I do need a new bike 'puter

Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/09/2012 at 09:15

In all seriousness, a new set of tyres isn't a bad move, but put them on the week before and not the night before because you'll feel a right numpty getting a pinch flat coming out of T1.

The Silent Assassin    pirate
06/09/2012 at 20:31

My tyres got changed last night

06/09/2012 at 23:20
My bike is currently in for a service so im hoping it runs like clockwork.fingers crossed
07/09/2012 at 09:01

Lush training session last night. Did one of the BT brick sessions they recommend in "Going Long" and loved it. Great to do a session with some spring in my step instead of feeling like my shoes are full of lead. Couple of fill-in sessions today & tomorrow and then another BT in North Wales on Sunday.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
09/09/2012 at 17:42
Good weekend for me. 8 mile run yesterday in the sunshine.

Got some new tyres and put them through their paces with a "tootle" up Waddington Fell this afternoon. Chased down some chap and passed him easily on the climb......unfortunately he flew past me on the descent. I am such a wuss on a downhill!!!

Even managed a boozy bbq on Saturday night. Good weekend!!
10/09/2012 at 08:29

turbo and run friday night.

family stuff on Saturday

Sunday 33 mile ride (new tyres and cleats tested, tyres are fast but heavy going uphill)

followed by 6 mile run, then a 2.5K swim later in the afternoon.

10/09/2012 at 09:18

Nice one, Plodder. All the Kudos is in the uphill, isn't it? Any old fatty can go downhill like a bullet. Hope you sneered at him .

So.... you've waited until race week and put slow tyres on your bike, Q? Are you using Wales as a tune-up for next year's double? Tenby not hard enough for you without a handicap? Hard as Peak District rock, you are, mate!

Not much training here over the weekend. Rest day Friday, but woke up with some pain in my hammie on Saturday. Went for the usual morning run anyway, which was a mistake. Hammie's strained again. Same one as I struggled with 6 weeks back. Ho hum. No dramas. Anybody have a view on this? I'm guessing I RICE it and see a physio and it'll be peachy by the weekend.

Edited: 10/09/2012 at 09:19
bburn plO.dder    pirate
10/09/2012 at 09:44
slowerthanilook wrote (see)

So.... you've waited until race week and put slow tyres on your bike, Q? Are you using Wales as a tune-up for next year's double? Tenby not hard enough for you without a handicap? Hard as Peak District rock, you are, mate!

That made me laugh,  my thoughts exactly

STIL, sounds like RICE defo needed for your hamstring. and might I suggest no more running until the big day..????

10/09/2012 at 09:48

erm the tyres recomended by you mate!

shows how good my old tyres must have been, but the rolling resitance is better and downhill they are fast as f***, got up one hill yesterday still freewheeling from the downhill before it, never done that before.

Also STIL bad news on the hammie, no running on that until physio has seen you.

Edited: 10/09/2012 at 09:50
10/09/2012 at 10:12

Your old ones were probably featherlight on account of being worn down to the core. Beaut pair of Schwalbes on now... if all else fails you'll look good!

No more running it is, then. Thank you both.

10/09/2012 at 10:14

went for the continental grand prix ones

10/09/2012 at 10:24
Shwalbe ? Continental? Vredstein Fortezza tri comps been my tyre of choice for years they are the dogs danglies
11/09/2012 at 11:06

Nice 6 mile run last night

Nothing tonight

Nothing tomorrow

Thursday we be an short bike (8 mile) followede by a short run (2 miles) just to check everything is working ok, then packed away ready for traveling on Friday

The tapir must be working as today the legs feel great and want to get out and do stuff

Hoping to get there midday on Friday which will allow me to register on Friday.

Anyone fancy meeting up on the Friday for food?

Starting to get really excited now

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 11:07
2,661 to 2,680 of 2,704 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.