Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

2,681 to 2,700 of 2,711 messages
10/09/2012 at 09:18

Nice one, Plodder. All the Kudos is in the uphill, isn't it? Any old fatty can go downhill like a bullet. Hope you sneered at him .

So.... you've waited until race week and put slow tyres on your bike, Q? Are you using Wales as a tune-up for next year's double? Tenby not hard enough for you without a handicap? Hard as Peak District rock, you are, mate!

Not much training here over the weekend. Rest day Friday, but woke up with some pain in my hammie on Saturday. Went for the usual morning run anyway, which was a mistake. Hammie's strained again. Same one as I struggled with 6 weeks back. Ho hum. No dramas. Anybody have a view on this? I'm guessing I RICE it and see a physio and it'll be peachy by the weekend.

Edited: 10/09/2012 at 09:19
bburn plO.dder    pirate
10/09/2012 at 09:44
slowerthanilook wrote (see)

So.... you've waited until race week and put slow tyres on your bike, Q? Are you using Wales as a tune-up for next year's double? Tenby not hard enough for you without a handicap? Hard as Peak District rock, you are, mate!

That made me laugh,  my thoughts exactly

STIL, sounds like RICE defo needed for your hamstring. and might I suggest no more running until the big day..????

The Silent Assassin    pirate
10/09/2012 at 09:48

erm the tyres recomended by you mate!

shows how good my old tyres must have been, but the rolling resitance is better and downhill they are fast as f***, got up one hill yesterday still freewheeling from the downhill before it, never done that before.

Also STIL bad news on the hammie, no running on that until physio has seen you.

Edited: 10/09/2012 at 09:50
10/09/2012 at 10:12

Your old ones were probably featherlight on account of being worn down to the core. Beaut pair of Schwalbes on now... if all else fails you'll look good!

No more running it is, then. Thank you both.

10/09/2012 at 10:14

went for the continental grand prix ones

10/09/2012 at 10:24
Shwalbe ? Continental? Vredstein Fortezza tri comps been my tyre of choice for years they are the dogs danglies
11/09/2012 at 11:06

Nice 6 mile run last night

Nothing tonight

Nothing tomorrow

Thursday we be an short bike (8 mile) followede by a short run (2 miles) just to check everything is working ok, then packed away ready for traveling on Friday

The tapir must be working as today the legs feel great and want to get out and do stuff

Hoping to get there midday on Friday which will allow me to register on Friday.

Anyone fancy meeting up on the Friday for food?

Starting to get really excited now

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 11:07
11/09/2012 at 11:49
1500metre pool swim last night.rest today.spent yesterday watching the tour of britain go past. Im going down on thursday.Going to register on friday and maybe do the practice swim
OrangeCannon kona-6    pirate
11/09/2012 at 23:36
Back training again...
This is my 3rd week and its killing me..... a summer spent eating too much chocolate is taking its revenge....

*not a happy bunny*
12/09/2012 at 04:30
OC same here just started a serious 10 week program after months of unstructured faffing to get ready for The Cornish Marathon in November and evrything is aching
anybody fancy a tough as old boots scenic marathon this is the one

http://www.eastcornwallharriers.com/pages/marathon.aspx
bburn plO.dder    pirate
12/09/2012 at 09:07
Cake wrote (see)

Bburn That sportive looks interesting Don't think the missus would be up for it but if you and muffin are playing it might be a good weekend away is anyone else interested or best to ask after IMW?

Not sure if Muffin is doing it, but me and "him indoors" have signed up . I've done a few events organised by these people and they've all been good, so far!!

12/09/2012 at 13:52

See your already signed for Outlaw again bburn plodder

bburn plO.dder    pirate
12/09/2012 at 14:03

Cake, I will be playing to win , no mercy .

SA, yep, I have signed up for Outlaw, but as a team next year. I'm doing the run, Mr plodder is doing the cycle, and at the moment my sister-in-law has volunteered to do the swim.

Having said that, she is already saying she may not have much time to train, so there's a fair to middling chance I'll be doing the swim and run, not that I mind in the least

How about you guys?

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 14:27
Iron Muffin    pirate
12/09/2012 at 14:30

All chat of next year on hold in our house until after Wales. Although STIL will have to learn to chat while gardening and painting

Nice one plodder, another Iron couple on the way

Iron Muffin    pirate
12/09/2012 at 14:34

Good training again Max and OC. Thanks for the offer but I will pass on the marathon, 'tough as old boots' didnt sell it to me.

I had a rubbish 30  mins on the turbo this morning. I just felt dreadful.

bburn plO.dder    pirate
13/09/2012 at 16:12

I know a few of you IMW peeps are travelling tomorrow, so I just thought I'd pop on here to wish you all the absolute best of luck.

I hope you have a fab race and get the results you want. Can't wait to hear the reports on Monday

13/09/2012 at 17:47

Just popping in to wish everyone doing IMW or Challenge Henley good luck.

M...eldy    pirate
13/09/2012 at 17:51

Race well those that are racing, support well those that are supporting

I shall be plugged into armchairsupporters.com 

purpletrilady    pirate
13/09/2012 at 18:43
O.rangeCannon I came, I saw, I knitted wrote (see)
Back training again...
This is my 3rd week and its killing me..... a summer spent eating too much chocolate is taking its revenge....

*not a happy bunny*
O.rangeCannon I came, I saw, I knitted wrote (see)
Back training again...

*not a happy bunny*

I know the feeling ! I've just starting running again, I ran up a hill today and couldn't believe how hard it was and my heart rate went through the roof.

I'm enjoying it though - a good challenge 

13/09/2012 at 19:51

Race well all and good luck   

2,681 to 2,700 of 2,711 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.