Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

301 to 320 of 2,704 messages
20/03/2012 at 05:32
Joddly sorry for your bad new be consoled with the thought that there is a special place in hell reserved for theiving bike scum
Contact all the local bike and tri clubs and bike dealers something that rare will stick out like a sore thumb when someone tries to ride or offload it good luck
20/03/2012 at 09:24

Sorry to hear your news Joddly.   As meldy said.

I've been running an Op recently in our local town where we'eve been deploying a 'sting' bike with a tracker.  we lock it up but it is normally taken with the lock cut through within 24hrs!  The frustrating thing is that we have caught the thief ( or handler) each time but the courts dont treat pedal cycle theft as a serious crime and they get a slap on the wrist 

I've had a flat bit in training at the moment in that I havn't trained for 2 days.  just didn't feel like it and felt a bit burnt out.  But it's a great day today and I'll get back into it.

Dustboy    pirate
20/03/2012 at 11:03

70 mile bike followed by 7 mile brick run yesterday. Ow, feckity ouch.

Plus....... 

Our 18 year old lodger turned up last night clutching a front wheel and a lock. "Er, ze bike eet 'ave gone." Had locked the bike to bike rack by the front wheel only. With a quick release lever on it. Twat.

Now to explain to the brother in law, from whom my wife had secretly borrowed the bike, (getting me to pick the bike lock) that he only has a wheel left. And a lock. At least it was only a cr4p Raleigh 5 ton old MTB.  

20/03/2012 at 12:08
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

half way through lap 1 we dropped Ross off the back, in his defense he only got back from South Africa at 0100 and does only have one leg !

Loved this whole report, Dave. Sounded totally nuts.... a bunch of half-cut, ex-pats charging around the desert on their push-irons. Brilliant write up.

Rest day yesterday after a step up in intensity for me last week. 26 weeks to IM Wales! Turbo tonight, although I'll not try anything like your 2:30 session, Will.... mind boggles!!

20/03/2012 at 15:47

Still not able to run due to my ongoing back problem.   On hearing that there is a possibility that i may have to withdraw from the Outlaw, my wonderful mum-in-law has offered to pay for physio for me.  

I have my first consultation on Thursday morning with a local Sports Physiotherapist.  Fingers crossed she can sort my back out.

20/03/2012 at 15:57

Fingers crossed for you Mrs SA - backs are b*ggers, as I know only too well

20/03/2012 at 17:06
Cheers Podds
M...eldy    pirate
20/03/2012 at 17:48
What lovely news Mrs SA ... lets hope it does the trick 
WildWill    pirate
20/03/2012 at 20:48
Good day for me today

LUNCH TIME
Swim easy pace, 2400m in 48mins

PM
Brick 90min spin then 90min run at Mara pace
Edited: 20/03/2012 at 20:49
Orca    pirate
21/03/2012 at 07:13
That's lousy on the bike front Joddly
Hope the physio manages to sort the back for you Mrs SA. Nothing worse than injury holding you back.
I'm at the end of a wonderful few days training in Sancture Sportifs in the south of France. I've learned loads but I've also realised I've so much more to learn.
Saturday was swim and run analysis, I couldn't believe how wide I was pulling in the swim. Sunday was a 4 hour ride with hills into a 15 minute run, Monday was just under 2.5 hours of hill technique on the bike with an "easy " run in the evening (more like a tempo run for me) followed by 3.4km swim set. Tuesday was the long brick which was a 17km hilly ride into 5.3km run,repeat the bike three times and the run twice as the last bike was a cooldown. Then in the evening when we were all tired with legs that felt like lead, we did a run technique session to show how to run light and easy even if your body feels like lead the way it does in long distance triathlon. This morning is watt bike before going back to Barcelona to fly home. Rest day tomorrow and the massage is already booked!
Ironholgs    pirate
21/03/2012 at 08:48

Hope you get sorted Mrs SA, fingers crossed.

21/03/2012 at 09:05

Jeez Orcs... I'll bet the massage is booked!
I'm going to give those brick repeats a crack. Doing a lot more bricks this season, but typically a mid-length bike followed by a run. The repeats sound enjoyably horrible.

Good luck Mrs SA. You must be a very good daughter in law!

Last night's turbo was cool, in that the time flew rather than dragged. Lunchtime run today. Feels good to be clear of the heavy cold that dogged me through Jan & Feb. Feeling good enough to enter another event!!

21/03/2012 at 09:34

Morning Boys & Gals

Sounds like a great training camp Orca,  I love the sound of warm weather spring training.  Did a couple of brick repeats last year,  typically 2hr bike, 30 min run x2.....all I can say is ouch!  Just finished a 90min strength endurance turbo session,  thought it had been ok until I tried to climb the stairs to my desk,  it shouldn't be that difficult to get up stairs surely!  And I've got a game of squash booked in for later on as well.

Fingers crossed with the Physio MrsSA,  hope he does the job and gets you up and running soon enough.

And hope your bike gets sorted Joddly,  it's more hassle trying to sort out the aftermath with the insurance company than the trauma of the bike being nicked I think.

Happy training today

IronCat5    pirate
21/03/2012 at 11:05

Happy training all!

Hotel doesn't have a bike . Aiming to run today. Looks ilke it ight hit 30degC here is Boston today. 10 degrees hotter in March than previous records. Nice! Will swim tonight too.

The Silent Assassin    pirate
21/03/2012 at 12:19
Jaffa_ wrote (see)

thought it had been ok until I tried to climb the stairs to my desk,

Happy training today

stairs to your desk!!!!!! you got some sort of giants desk that has stairs to it?
VT'd    pirate
21/03/2012 at 14:13

I've picked up my first cold for a couple of years and I had to drag myself through a heavy pool endurance session last night. 

I CBA'd with my bike this morning but settled on a cycle to nowhere in particular, which clocked out at just over 42 miles by the time I turned into my street.  The route took me along the North Antrim Coastline, past Royal Portrush GC and on beyond the Giants Causeway before turning inland and heading home.  A beautiful, if overcast and slightly breezy morning.

Feel like shit now but I didn't actually feel too bad whilst on the bike and without my cold I could have undoubtedly clocked 80 miles.  I checked my Garmin average speed and it read over 17mph which wasn't too bad for the route and the way I feel.

21/03/2012 at 14:14
All is good in sunny Kernow great 22 mile commute in this morning via the hilly scenic route with spring in all its glory, a nice 40 min dinnertime run with some speedy stuff chucked in with no problems i am even off to the pool at 4 to get a grip on this swim malarky truly i am back in the game
WildWill    pirate
21/03/2012 at 14:32
Max ... great news mate

VT'd ... well man'd up
21/03/2012 at 14:34
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
Jaffa_ wrote (see)

Happy training today

stairs to your desk!!!!!! you got some sort of giants desk that has stairs to it?

You do make me chuckle, Q.

Just waved my wife off for a training ride on my bike. I'm preparing to file it in the "no good will come of this" box.

21/03/2012 at 14:35
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
Jaffa_ wrote (see)

Happy training today

You've seen the length of my diddly little legs mate,  I need stairs to get everywhere
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.