Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

321 to 340 of 2,711 messages
IronCat5    pirate
21/03/2012 at 11:05

Happy training all!

Hotel doesn't have a bike . Aiming to run today. Looks ilke it ight hit 30degC here is Boston today. 10 degrees hotter in March than previous records. Nice! Will swim tonight too.

The Silent Assassin    pirate
21/03/2012 at 12:19
Jaffa_ wrote (see)

thought it had been ok until I tried to climb the stairs to my desk,

Happy training today

stairs to your desk!!!!!! you got some sort of giants desk that has stairs to it?
VT'd    pirate
21/03/2012 at 14:13

I've picked up my first cold for a couple of years and I had to drag myself through a heavy pool endurance session last night. 

I CBA'd with my bike this morning but settled on a cycle to nowhere in particular, which clocked out at just over 42 miles by the time I turned into my street.  The route took me along the North Antrim Coastline, past Royal Portrush GC and on beyond the Giants Causeway before turning inland and heading home.  A beautiful, if overcast and slightly breezy morning.

Feel like shit now but I didn't actually feel too bad whilst on the bike and without my cold I could have undoubtedly clocked 80 miles.  I checked my Garmin average speed and it read over 17mph which wasn't too bad for the route and the way I feel.

21/03/2012 at 14:14
All is good in sunny Kernow great 22 mile commute in this morning via the hilly scenic route with spring in all its glory, a nice 40 min dinnertime run with some speedy stuff chucked in with no problems i am even off to the pool at 4 to get a grip on this swim malarky truly i am back in the game
WildWill    pirate
21/03/2012 at 14:32
Max ... great news mate

VT'd ... well man'd up
21/03/2012 at 14:34
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
Jaffa_ wrote (see)

Happy training today

stairs to your desk!!!!!! you got some sort of giants desk that has stairs to it?

You do make me chuckle, Q.

Just waved my wife off for a training ride on my bike. I'm preparing to file it in the "no good will come of this" box.

21/03/2012 at 14:35
The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
Jaffa_ wrote (see)

Happy training today

You've seen the length of my diddly little legs mate,  I need stairs to get everywhere
Iron Muffin    pirate
21/03/2012 at 19:11

Good luck woth the physio Mrs. SA. really hope you can get sorted and resume running.  If not justr sorted and no back pain will be a winner.

slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Just waved my wife off for a training ride on my bike. I'm preparing to file it in the "no good will come of this" box.

Agreed. Now I really want a carbon bike and yours is too big. Lock your credit card up.

WildWill    pirate
21/03/2012 at 19:55
Another good (for me) day

LUNCH TIME
- Weights session

PM
- 2hr zone 1/2 riverside run

My legs are sore so I'm glad that tomorrow is a recovery day
21/03/2012 at 22:08
Don't you think there's something rather satisfying about a recovery day when you really need it, Will?

I'm still grieving for my stolen bike, and trying to contact local clubs. I'd like to post on the Team MK site, as they're nearby, but I'm not a member. I wonder if Slim or Max's bro might be persuaded to ask them to keep a look out for a small (50cm) black & white Colnago World Cup cyclocross bike with (perhaps still) eggbeater pedals and a black Selle saddle?

Meanwhile I will resurrect my old commuter, which had been consigned to the turbo, at the weekend.
M...eldy    pirate
21/03/2012 at 22:22
Joddly I do know someone who is if the boys cant help just let me know

Keep a look out on Gumtree as well
21/03/2012 at 22:29
Joddly - when my MTB was stolen, I was advised to inform all local cycle shops especially if you can let them know the frame number in case it came in for repair or service.  I was told local cycle shops will inform the police if a stolen bike comes their way
22/03/2012 at 07:35
Nice turbo this morning for 50 minutes but i think it will soon be time to chuck it in the cupboard for the year as the morninngs are getting better all the time got an hours run and sea swim planned for this evening followed by carbo loading with fish n chips
22/03/2012 at 07:49
Joddly i will give my bruv a ring and also ask him to put in on his MK facebook contacts
22/03/2012 at 08:10
Thanks, Max, and everyone else for all your help.
22/03/2012 at 09:59
joddly wrote (see)
. I'd like to post on the Team MK site, as they're nearby, but I'm not a member.

Most clubs are happy to put something like this up on their sites even for non members - partly fellow feeling, partly because they know it could so easily be one of their members - I know our tri club has these alerts up on quite a regular basis (unfortunately) - worth asking anyway

hope something comes of it

Razor51    pirate
22/03/2012 at 10:11
 Ok....my running is really strong, pacing myself at high end Z2, avg 76%,of max HR which is on the mark, towards the end of my run I increase my pace and max was at 94%, last night max was 96%.  Am I wrong to be pushing myself to my near max HR or is this the norm as fitness improves. I dont feel any ill effects after a run, in fact i feel really good....any comments would be helpful.
Another 5 miles last night high end Z2 but it felt tough.
22/03/2012 at 10:34
Razor i generally try to do the same with my runs make em "quality" and stick a bit of omph intowards the end but i am always mindfull that i do not push it so hard that i accumulate fatigue into the next session
WildWill    pirate
22/03/2012 at 14:27
Bit of a recovery day for me today as i have a long drive North this afternoon/evening

LUNCH TIME
- Swim - 2400m
- tried to push the pace a bit but failed ... 48mins
22/03/2012 at 15:40

First physio appointment this morning.   Never thought a sports massage would hurt so much  I had to apologise for swearing at one point.   The Physio seems to think my back problem stems from poor stomach/pelvic floor muscles which is tilting the pelvis when i run and causing the compressed nerve.   As i write this i am sat on a gym ball !   Very good for strengthening the stomach and pelvic muscles I was informed .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.