Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

381 to 400 of 2,704 messages
26/03/2012 at 10:06

Sounds like most people are having fun. Be hard not to with this weather!

I do a little 25-min swim after my run on a Saturday while the nippers are in lessons in the next lane. "Coach" has been saying for a while that I need to build more speed work in, so I did 10 x 100m on 2 min intervals (a bit like yours Orca & Will?). Really pleased to hold the pace all the way through at 1:48 - 1:52.

Yesterday's ride went into my top-3 faves ever. Muffin kindly let me have the prime, Sunday morning window, so I got in 4 very hard hours around the Cambrian Range in north wales and a circuit around Moel Famau. Never done the route before and it unlocked some glorious, scenic climbs in beautiful sunshine.

Legs are shredded, but I'll happily take that. Unlike some of you poor folks above, I'm miles ahead of where I was last year with 24 weeks to the race.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/606899/Gallery/Denigh_ride_compress.jpg

NV
26/03/2012 at 10:38
2 hours on the TT on Saturday in the sunshine, then first long ride of the year (after falling off 12 miles into the last planned one) yesterday. 60 miles, and wondering how the hell I'm going to finish a 100 mile sportive next Sunday. Reckon I might be better off running it

Good solid week of training though
Dubai Dave    pirate
26/03/2012 at 11:09
Bashed out 3.2K in the pool this morning, will run tonight. Another vote for way behind where I was at the same time last year......... but i peaked too soon last year so hopefully will get it right this time.
Golden Boots    pirate
26/03/2012 at 11:57
as last year was my first proper year of training and this year I started with a half-decent base compared to last time... I am much further ahead than last year.... but.... with about 15 weeks less training time I am still worried I won't be where I was come race day!!!
The Silent Assassin    pirate
26/03/2012 at 14:07

Nice 4k swim on Saturday

Planned LSR 20 mile run turned into 12 mile fast run as Mrs SA had taken the prime Sunday morning slot I was left with a run at midday in the heat

Strangely I am ahead of where I have been in previous years 

Edited: 26/03/2012 at 14:07
WildWill    pirate
26/03/2012 at 20:37
Only one session today ...

3hrs spinning after work
IronCat5    pirate
26/03/2012 at 20:43

A nice sunny 10 miler Saturday. Yesterday was a rest day. Today I took off for my daughter's birthday, and to ride.

Did 63miles on the TT - just over 3.5 hours. Feeling a little more confident on it, though I tend to get blown all over the road in any breeeze. Time to eat more??

Hope    pirate
26/03/2012 at 20:45

Nice training you guys and CONGRATS to Meldy for her PB!!!

I had a good weekend too. Managed 70 miles of the Ironman Wales course with a 30 min run off. I swapped my rest day and long run day around to spend some time with Garr yesterday and so did an hour and a half run this evening.

Proper summer kit and all! Loving the weather. Makes it so much easier to get out there!

26/03/2012 at 20:52
slowerthanilook wrote (see)
It's left me really wheezy and sneezy though. Does anybody else suffer an Attack of the Killer Mucus after a decent sesh in the pool??

I used to til I used Beconase spray before I started my swim session. Might be worth a try?
Hope    pirate
26/03/2012 at 20:55
Yes Beconase works for me too. Massive snot monster without it!
Dubai Dave    pirate
27/03/2012 at 07:09

Ah thanks for the beconase tip that might help.

Ran 8 miles with the club last night on tired legs, cycled 40K before dawn today. Will have another trot at lunchtime. I rode my road bike for the first time in months today, it felt weird after riding a TT bike, I was also considerably slower but that maybe because I seem to have cooked my legs.

everyone is starting to ramp up their training nicely, on personal level I don't have the enthusiasm  I had last year and have more of a CNBA attitude at times. But I'm sure I'll get there and in all probability I will be no slower than last year.

27/03/2012 at 14:29

Right.... Beconase it is then.
Thanks for that

M...eldy    pirate
27/03/2012 at 18:41
Beautiful 50 miles round the lanes and over the hills today, sadly I have to go back to work tomorrow !
WildWill    pirate
27/03/2012 at 20:11
A good day for me

LUNCH TIME
- 45min swim

PM
- 90min spinning
- 90min riverside run

M...eldy    pirate
27/03/2012 at 20:20
Its going to be another good week for you Will !!
WildWill    pirate
27/03/2012 at 20:25
It may be a short week due to commitments .. But hope to get 2 sessions in tomorrow too
M...eldy    pirate
27/03/2012 at 20:27
Tomorrow is technically a RD for me but I had an easy day on Monday following the 1/2 so I may sneak in a gym session!
WildWill    pirate
27/03/2012 at 20:33
Plans are ment to be flexible
IronCat5    pirate
27/03/2012 at 21:11

I was a little snotty after this morning's swim. But I didn't get like that last week.

Perhaps down to early season hayfever type stuff?

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/03/2012 at 21:17

Life is a rollercoaster.........

Yesterday = rest day =  I cant do this, I will never get round Outlaw

Today = monster brick = 16 miles hard on bike followed by 11 miles 'run' at race pace = bring it on!

I think I need to start training my brain as well

Good training and great posts peeps, keep it up.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.