Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Re-run of last year's thread for anybody doing any 2012 iron distance race

1,041 to 1,060 of 2,711 messages
02/05/2012 at 07:38
Errr yes Melds i think i err did, still nevermind there are plenty of places to hide in Nottigham They do still have a forest there dont they???
Dubai Dave    pirate
02/05/2012 at 08:27
Max: run now.

M..eldy: Marshman.... I'm going to freeze to death its 39C here. Also doing some work so its a free trip home but thats another story!
NV
02/05/2012 at 08:34
See you there DD!

Lake, your idea of not too bad and mine differ. I thought it was freezing! Did about 1.2k and still had no feeling in my feet by the time I'd driven home. Still, apparently it's warmer than it was last week.

I am also eating like a horse, but weight is still coming off. Run tonight and looking forward to it. The mojo is back with a vengeance.

Who else is doing Marshman?
Edited: 02/05/2012 at 08:35
Dubai Dave    pirate
02/05/2012 at 08:51
Have just looked at the weather forecast for Sunday in Lydd, High of 8C... I will be buying some cycling kit on Saturday, full finger gloves, gillet, two jerseys, socks, tights, buff. You will all spot me I will be the guy dressed up like Nanook of the North.
02/05/2012 at 09:18
yep - weather's not looking great for Marshman but if there's any bonus I don't think any rain is forecast and the winds are light - although a light wind on the Marshes is a howling gale elsewhere....
Edited: 02/05/2012 at 09:18
02/05/2012 at 09:20
M...eldy wrote (see)
Did Max just call me a wimp?   

He sure did - and I'm sure he stuck his tongue out at you too......

<decides it's safer to be on Meldy's than Max's side....>

Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
 still nevermind there are plenty of places to hide in Nottigham

Not enough Max, not enough...............
02/05/2012 at 10:21
Cheers Pods
02/05/2012 at 11:14
Dubai Dave wrote (see)
 PuP: Summer in Dubai, how to cope. 1) Go on holiday for as long as possible. 2) get up very early to run / cycle 3)slow down..... a lot. 4) load your bike up with drinks 5) you will adapt 6) August isn't too bad, hot but dry, September is horrible hot and humid. 7) get a treadmill and a turbo. 8) swim indoors at the Rashid bin Mohd bin Maktoum Olympic 50M pool out on the 611 there is never anyone there.

Thanks Dave! I already plan to do 1) - we'll be in Germany/Blighty for most of July, then I'll have done my main event so will spend most of August dodging any kind of physical activity most likely...have a turbo already (and we are VERY well acquainted!).I will check out that pool - at the moment I swim at the Ladies Club on Beach Road - it's an outdoor pool,temp controlled - do you think it will get too hot to use it?? 

It's suddenly got so hot, hasn't it?  My first summer here - longing for rain already...

Good luck with the Marshman, and wrap up warm

Hope    pirate
02/05/2012 at 14:25

Hello troops.

I keep forgetting to pop in here, but I have been training honest. Unless by training you mean swimming... then not so much.

I pulled out of the Marshman too. I'm afraid I am far too affected by the cold to make the trip worthwhile.

02/05/2012 at 19:25
NV wrote (see)
Lake, your idea of not too bad and mine differ. I thought it was freezing! Did about 1.2k and still had no feeling in my feet by the time I'd driven home. Still, apparently it's warmer than it was last week.

NV - it was freezing, but not as freezing as it was two weeks ago...I only lasted 5 mins then.  Any improvement has got to be better than that.

Holly_Golightly    pirate
02/05/2012 at 21:27

Looks like it might actually be dry at the weekend.  That's a relief! And it looks like the water temps are rising a bit so I might actually get an OW swim in over the BH weekend.  Whoop!

I did a 2 1/2 hour wattbike today.  It was a real sweatfest.  

02/05/2012 at 21:37

Opted to solo swim tonight instead of the club 90minutes.  I only did an hour and the calf was trying to cramp up the whole time.  I am putting it down to the exercises that I am doing for this poxy ankle.....trying not to let it get me down but it is a struggle today.  Rest day tomorrow thank goodness.

Jaffa, you need to be a member of one of the tri clubs that swim the lake. 

IronCat5    pirate
02/05/2012 at 22:24

My brick session tonight was mostly dry. HR was lower than normal, but then I did spend most of today sat down. Made up for it with a strong 15 minute run.

Need to check my tri bars are spaced centrally as LH shoulder is tight again, though it could be due to yesterday's hard swim. Tomorrow is bike (AM or lunch), then I'm going to OW swim for 30 minutes in the evening in Reading.

M...eldy    pirate
02/05/2012 at 22:27
Holly .. do you think they will be up to a decent temperature by the weekend?  Looking at the rain thats forecast I am not so sure on that one !

Saffers keep on stretching out those calfs ..
03/05/2012 at 06:28
Datchet was showing 13.8 yesterday. Last year I went with hat and boots when it was 13.  I would prefer it to be nearer 14 still to go in truth. You know how delicate I am
M...eldy    pirate
03/05/2012 at 06:31
Oh thats not too bad at all then .. but then parts of Datchet are quite shallow aren't they?

I'll wait a few more weeks I think yet 
03/05/2012 at 06:38
Indeedy, Datchet is quite shallow all the way down the back.  It'll really have to be up above 14 for a proper length swim though so probably best to leave it a while.... (talked myself out of it again, haven't I?!)
Dubai Dave    pirate
03/05/2012 at 07:29

Pup: You can swim ourdoors in a temp controlled pool all year and I do, but the pool up at the Rashid bin Mohd is 50M and is always empty.

Cycled 50K at dawn, will swim at lunch before jumping on a plane at 0200 back to blighty, really not looking forward to freezing my nuts off at Marshman but what the heck were Triathletes and meant to be tough so provided I pack ALL of my cold weather gear we will give it a go.

03/05/2012 at 08:16
What are peoples reccomendations for attire for the Marshman? Im thinking just a tri suit might be a bit cold on the bike?? What do people usually put on?
Dubai Dave    pirate
03/05/2012 at 08:27
In my case it will be tights, tri shorts, base layer, pirates cycle top, arm warmers, buff, overshoes, gillet and maybe a beanie but then I'm not exactly used to cycling in anything below 30C.
1,041 to 1,060 of 2,711 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.